Old 04-22-2008, 03:35 AM
"Peter Tynan"

Default CPU frequency scaling

I came across an article over at
http://polishlinux.org/linux/debian/green-pcs-cpu-frequency-scaling-in-linux/
about CPU frequency scaling and thought I's give it a try but whenever
I run the command

"modprobe powernow_k7" or "modprobe acpi_cpufreq"

I get the response along the lines of

"FATAL: Error inserting powernow_k7
(/lib/modules/2.6.24-1-686/kernel/arch/x86/kernel/cpu/cpufreq/powernow-k7.ko):
No such device"

I using Debian Lenny with the latest 686 kernel.

Anybody any ideas?

Peter

Old 04-22-2008, 05:47 AM
"Vikki Roemer"

On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 11:35 PM, Peter Tynan <happy@sdf.lonestar.org> wrote:
> I came across an article over at
> http://polishlinux.org/linux/debian/green-pcs-cpu-frequency-scaling-in-linux/
> about CPU frequency scaling and thought I's give it a try but whenever
> I run the command
>
> "modprobe powernow_k7" or "modprobe acpi_cpufreq"
>
> I get the response along the lines of
>
> "FATAL: Error inserting powernow_k7
> (/lib/modules/2.6.24-1-686/kernel/arch/x86/kernel/cpu/cpufreq/powernow-k7.ko):
> No such device"
>
> I using Debian Lenny with the latest 686 kernel.
>
> Anybody any ideas?

Probably a dumb question, but what processor do you have?

--
Vikki Roemer

Registered Linux user #280021

"Sometimes the lights all shinin' on me;
Other times I can barely see.
Lately it occurs to me what a long, strange trip its been."
-- Grateful Dead, "Truckin'"

Old 04-22-2008, 07:03 AM
"Peter Tynan"

On 22/04/2008, Vikki Roemer <vikki.roemer@gmail.com> wrote:
> Probably a dumb question, but what processor do you have?
> --
> Vikki Roemer

"cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep name"
gives
"model name : AMD Athlon(tm) Processor"

Peter

Old 04-22-2008, 07:10 AM
"Peter Tynan"

On 22/04/2008, Peter Tynan <happy@sdf.lonestar.org> wrote:
> On 22/04/2008, Vikki Roemer <vikki.roemer@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Probably a dumb question, but what processor do you have?
> > --
> > Vikki Roemer
>

> "cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep name"
> gives
> "model name : AMD Athlon(tm) Processor"

"cat /proc/cpuinfo" also gave " cpu family : 6"

so I tried "modprobe powernow_k6" which also gave the "FATAL: Error" warning.

Peter

Old 04-22-2008, 07:36 AM
Sam Leon

Peter Tynan wrote:

On 22/04/2008, Peter Tynan <happy@sdf.lonestar.org> wrote:

On 22/04/2008, Vikki Roemer <vikki.roemer@gmail.com> wrote:
> Probably a dumb question, but what processor do you have?
> --
> Vikki Roemer

"cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep name"
gives
"model name : AMD Athlon(tm) Processor"

"cat /proc/cpuinfo" also gave " cpu family : 6"

so I tried "modprobe powernow_k6" which also gave the "FATAL: Error" warning.

Peter

Athlon XP processors don't support frequency scaling on desktop
motherboards.

Sam

Old 04-22-2008, 07:50 AM
"Peter Tynan"

On 22/04/2008, Sam Leon <debian@net153.net> wrote:
> Athlon XP processors don't support frequency scaling on desktop
> motherboards.
>
> Sam

Is it an Athlon XP

$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor : 0
vendor_id : AuthenticAMD
cpu family : 6
model : 4
model name : AMD Athlon(tm) Processor
stepping : 2
cpu MHz : 1111.084
cache size : 256 KB
fdiv_bug : no
hlt_bug : no
f00f_bug : no
coma_bug : no
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 1
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat
pse36 mmx fxsr syscall mmxext 3dnowext 3dnow up
bogomips : 2224.48
clflush size : 32

and I think I've had it working before with other distributions(?)

Peter

Old 04-22-2008, 09:36 AM
Peter Werner

On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 08:50:30AM +0100, Peter Tynan wrote:
> Is it an Athlon XP

have a look at
http://www.daniel.nofftz.net/linux/Athlon-Powersaving-HOWTO.html

Old 11-10-2009, 09:11 PM
Gerhard Lang

I always run into jackd low latency issues when I forget to set cpu
frequency scaling panel-applets to highest options. Is there a way to
set this by default on start up without recompiling the rt-kernel?

Old 11-11-2009, 12:47 AM
Ricardo Lameiro

You could add cpufreq performance to one of the init steps... I think someone here can explain how to do that, but I think you can

I always run into jackd low latency issues when I forget to set *cpu

frequency scaling panel-applets to highest options. Is there a way to

set this by default on start up without recompiling the rt-kernel?

Fagote / Contrafagote
Bassoon / Contra-bassoon
http://myspace.com/ricardolameiro