-   -   locale problems (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/73900-locale-problems.html)

"Dennis G. Wicks" 04-21-2008 11:10 PM

locale problems

Greetings;

I keep getting these message while running aptitude.
Any idea what I need to do to get rid of them? I can't
find anything.

perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
LANGUAGE = "en_US:en_GB:en",
LC_ALL = (unset),
LANG = "en_US"

Many TIA!
Dennis

Raj Kiran Grandhi 04-22-2008 01:19 AM

locale problems

Dennis G. Wicks wrote:

Greetings;

I keep getting these message while running aptitude.
Any idea what I need to do to get rid of them? I can't find anything.

perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
LANGUAGE = "en_US:en_GB:en",
LC_ALL = (unset),
LANG = "en_US"

Many TIA!
Dennis

Run `dpkg-reconfigure locales' and select the locales you want to be
generated.

--
Raj Kiran Grandhi

"s. keeling" 04-22-2008 01:29 AM

locale problems

Dennis G. Wicks <wix@eskimo.com>:

> I keep getting these message while running aptitude.
> Any idea what I need to do to get rid of them? I can't
> find anything.
>
> > perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
> > perl: warning: Please check that your locale settings:
> > LANGUAGE = "en_US:en_GB:en",
> > LC_ALL = (unset),
> > LANG = "en_US"
> > are supported and installed on your system.
> > perl: warning: Falling back to the standard locale ("C").

This a FAQ. As root:

dpkg-reconfigure locales

Enable whatever you expect to use. Google "locale perl
site:lists.debian.org" might help (but I didn't look too closely).

"Dennis G. Wicks" 04-22-2008 01:34 PM

locale problems

I keep getting these message while running aptitude.
Any idea what I need to do to get rid of them? I can't
find anything.

perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
LANGUAGE = "en_US:en_GB:en",
LC_ALL = (unset),
LANG = "en_US"

This a FAQ. As root:

dpkg-reconfigure locales

Enable whatever you expect to use. Google "locale perl
site:lists.debian.org" might help (but I didn't look too closely).

Thanks, but as usual, it isn't that easy! "locales" is
broken, can't install, remove or purge it. Dependencies
that are virtual packages, and a bunch of other sh..
but now that I know what the desired action is I'll
keep banging away at it until I can do it.

Guy Deleeuw 08-25-2008 08:55 AM

locale problems

Hello,

I upgrade one of our server from kubuntu 7.10 to 8.04.
I have a problem with locale :

root@Backup02:~# dpkg-reconfigure locales
perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
LANGUAGE = "fr_BE:fr",
LC_ALL = (unset),
LANG = "fr_BE.UTF-8"
locale: Cannot set LC_CTYPE to default locale: No such file or directory
locale: Cannot set LC_MESSAGES to default locale: No such file or directory
locale: Cannot set LC_ALL to default locale: No such file or directory
Generating locales...
en_AU.UTF-8... /usr/sbin/locale-gen: 258: localedef: not found
failed
en_BW.UTF-8... /usr/sbin/locale-gen: 258: localedef: not found
failed

In wich packages I can found localedef ?

Thanks in advance

Guy

Guy Deleeuw 08-25-2008 04:03 PM

locale problems