Old 04-21-2008, 07:29 PM
"Thomas H. George"

Default Gnome Startup Problem

When I try to start a gnome session after I login the speakers hum and
the command lines, top and bottom, flash on and off several times then
the sound stops and the command lines disappear. Only the computer,
home and drive icons remain.

I can restart gdm and chose the icewm session which starts normally.
This is sufficient for most of my activities - iceape, openoffive, gimp
- but audio streaming from radio stations does not work. In the icewm
session if I try to run gmix it fails with the message, "No volume
control GStreamer plugins and/or devices found." Yet alsamixer
invoked from a terminal in the icewm window shows normal settings and
workbone can play a cd. Gnome-cd cannot.

A few weeks ago when I suddenly had sound problems I was able to start a
gnome session and found gnome had turned the speakers off for its
programs. That is the reason I have been trying to start a gnome
session. I hoped that solution would still work.

For the record my system is lenny 2.6.24-1-amd64 linux-image kernel. I
have run apt-get update and apt-get dist-upgrade several times since I
was last able to start a gnome session.

OT: There used to be a package workman which was a x-window version of
workbone. Workbone now appears in Programs/Applications/Sound and
launches in a terminal window but not with the correct key symbols.
Launched from a console window the key symbols are fine.