FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 04-21-2008, 03:39 PM
"Damon L. Chesser"
 
Default I need further understanding of wine or bash

Brian McKee wrote:


On 21-Apr-08, at 11:08 AM, Damon L. Chesser wrote:

if I use a term and cd into the games dir and type " wine Sins of
a Solar Empire.exe " it works


Why not try adding a 'cd into the games dir' before the wine line?

Brian

Brian,

That worked:

#bin/bash!

cd /home/damon/C_drive/'Program Files'/'Stardock Games'/'Sins of a Solar
Empire'

wine 'Sins of a Solar Empire.exe'

--
Damon L. Chesser
damon@damtek.com
http://www.linkedin.com/in/dchesser


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 04-21-2008, 06:05 PM
"Dylan Garrett"
 
Default I need further understanding of wine or bash

On 4/21/08, Damon L. Chesser <damon@damtek.com> wrote:
Brian McKee wrote:


On 21-Apr-08, at 11:08 AM, Damon L. Chesser wrote:


if I use a term and cd into the games dir and type " wine Sins of a Solar Empire.exe " it works


Why not try adding a 'cd into the games dir' before the wine line?

Brian
Brian,

That worked:

#bin/bash!

cd /home/damon/C_drive/'Program Files'/'Stardock Games'/'Sins of a Solar Empire'

wine 'Sins of a Solar Empire.exe'


--
Damon L. Chesser
damon@damtek.com
http://www.linkedin.com/in/dchesser



One issue that I see that you should fix (though it won't affect your results):
#bin/bash!
Should be:
#!/usr/bin/bash
Or better yet:
#!/usr/bin/env bash
 
Old 04-21-2008, 06:12 PM
"Damon L. Chesser"
 
Default I need further understanding of wine or bash

Dylan Garrett wrote:


On 4/21/08, *Damon L. Chesser* <damon@damtek.com
<mailto:damon@damtek.com>> wrote:


Brian McKee wrote:


On 21-Apr-08, at 11:08 AM, Damon L. Chesser wrote:

if I use a term and cd into the games dir and type " wine
Sins of a Solar Empire.exe " it works


Why not try adding a 'cd into the games dir' before the wine line?

Brian

Brian,

That worked:

#bin/bash!

cd /home/damon/C_drive/'Program Files'/'Stardock Games'/'Sins of a
Solar Empire'
wine 'Sins of a Solar Empire.exe'


--
Damon L. Chesser

damon@damtek.com <mailto:damon@damtek.com>
http://www.linkedin.com/in/dchesser


One issue that I see that you should fix (though it won't affect your
results):

#bin/bash!
Should be:
#!/usr/bin/bash
Or better yet:
#!/usr/bin/env bash

Thanks!

--
Damon L. Chesser
damon@damtek.com
http://www.linkedin.com/in/dchesser


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 04-21-2008, 08:43 PM
Tzafrir Cohen
 
Default I need further understanding of wine or bash

On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 02:05:23PM -0400, Dylan Garrett wrote:

> One issue that I see that you should fix (though it won't affect your
> results):
> #bin/bash!
> Should be:
> #!/usr/bin/bash

/usr/bin/bash? where? /bin/bash

> Or better yet:
> #!/usr/bin/env bash

Or simpler:

#!/bin/sh

--
Tzafrir Cohen | tzafrir@jabber.org | VIM is
http://tzafrir.org.il | | a Mutt's
tzafrir@cohens.org.il | | best
ICQ# 16849754 | | friend


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 04-21-2008, 09:18 PM
"Dylan Garrett"
 
Default I need further understanding of wine or bash

On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 4:43 PM, Tzafrir Cohen <tzafrir@cohens.org.il> wrote:

On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 02:05:23PM -0400, Dylan Garrett wrote:



> One issue that I see that you should fix (though it won't affect your

> results):

> #bin/bash!

> Should be:

> #!/usr/bin/bash



/usr/bin/bash? where? /bin/bash



> Or better yet:

> #!/usr/bin/env bash



Or simpler:



#!/bin/sh



--

Tzafrir Cohen * * * * | tzafrir@jabber.org | VIM is

http://tzafrir.org.il | * * * * * * * * * *| a Mutt's

tzafrir@cohens.org.il | * * * * * * * * * *| *best

ICQ# 16849754 * * * * | * * * * * * * * * *| friend


Oh, duh. Of course bash isn't in /usr/bin. I guess I forgot my linux for a second. :P
Thanks for fixing my mistake. And sorry to Damon.
 
Old 04-21-2008, 09:59 PM
"Damon L. Chesser"
 
Default I need further understanding of wine or bash

Dylan Garrett wrote:


On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 4:43 PM, Tzafrir Cohen <tzafrir@cohens.org.il
<mailto:tzafrir@cohens.org.il>> wrote:


On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 02:05:23PM -0400, Dylan Garrett wrote:

> One issue that I see that you should fix (though it won't affect
your
> results):
> #bin/bash!
> Should be:
> #!/usr/bin/bash

/usr/bin/bash? where? /bin/bash

> Or better yet:
> #!/usr/bin/env bash

Or simpler:

#!/bin/sh

--
Tzafrir Cohen | tzafrir@jabber.org
<mailto:tzafrir@jabber.org> | VIM is
http://tzafrir.org.il | | a Mutt's
tzafrir@cohens.org.il <mailto:tzafrir@cohens.org.il> |
| best

ICQ# 16849754 | | friend


Oh, duh. Of course bash isn't in /usr/bin. I guess I forgot my linux
for a second. :P

Thanks for fixing my mistake. And sorry to Damon.


Hey,

I am the guy, after seen this for YEARS wrote #bin/bash! ! If I would
have taken a second to SAY it (sha-bang) I would have realized it. No
apologies needed.


--
Damon L. Chesser
damon@damtek.com
http://www.linkedin.com/in/dchesser


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 04-21-2008, 10:50 PM
"Damon L. Chesser"
 
Default I need further understanding of wine or bash

Rich Healey wrote:

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Damon L. Chesser wrote:


Dylan Garrett wrote:


On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 4:43 PM, Tzafrir Cohen <tzafrir@cohens.org.il
<mailto:tzafrir@cohens.org.il>> wrote:

On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 02:05:23PM -0400, Dylan Garrett wrote:

> One issue that I see that you should fix (though it won't affect
your
> results):
> #bin/bash!
> Should be:
> #!/usr/bin/bash

/usr/bin/bash? where? /bin/bash

> Or better yet:
> #!/usr/bin/env bash

Or simpler:

#!/bin/sh

--
Tzafrir Cohen | tzafrir@jabber.org
<mailto:tzafrir@jabber.org> | VIM is
http://tzafrir.org.il | | a Mutt's
tzafrir@cohens.org.il <mailto:tzafrir@cohens.org.il> |
| best

ICQ# 16849754 | | friend


Oh, duh. Of course bash isn't in /usr/bin. I guess I forgot my linux
for a second. :P
Thanks for fixing my mistake. And sorry to Damon.


Hey,

I am the guy, after seen this for YEARS wrote #bin/bash! ! If I would
have taken a second to SAY it (sha-bang) I would have realized it. No
apologies needed.





I'm still not sure why they're called sha-bangs.. am i missing something
really blatant?

Dammit ten years using unix and this is the thing i don't get..
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.6 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org

iD8DBQFIDRQNLeTfO4yBSAcRApICAJ9WKpSJO4/PF2OUqKcRMRbwkDsVxACeKgVK
VN96rAX0N62VVgAz9dYdKHY=
=lD3k
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----


LOL, Damned if I know. Goes back to a time when gods walked the halls
of AT&T I think. I am thinking of people who did not like the new
fangled "text" editor because "I do not like to see the state of the
file while I am editing it". Quote is from "*Go to: The Story of the
Math Majors, Bridge Players, Engineers, Chess Wizards, Scientists and
Iconoclasts who were the Hero Programmers of the Software Revolution"
*by Steve Lohr. That was the response of one of the Unix/Sun founders
when he was shown emm (Editor for Mere Mortals) and his response is why
it was named Emm or so the author claims. Forwarding this back to the
list, maybe someone knows?


--
Damon L. Chesser
damon@damtek.com
http://www.linkedin.com/in/dchesser


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 04-25-2008, 12:40 PM
Chris Bannister
 
Default I need further understanding of wine or bash

On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 08:43:53PM +0000, Tzafrir Cohen wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 02:05:23PM -0400, Dylan Garrett wrote:
>
> > One issue that I see that you should fix (though it won't affect your
> > results):
> > #bin/bash!
> > Should be:
> > #!/usr/bin/bash
>
> /usr/bin/bash? where? /bin/bash
>
> > Or better yet:
> > #!/usr/bin/env bash
>
> Or simpler:
>
> #!/bin/sh
>

You've gotta be careful with #!/bin/sh it may not be linked to bash,
i.e:

ls -al /bin/sh
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 2008-01-22 04:04 /bin/sh -> /bin/dash

--
Chris.
======
"One, with God, is always a majority, but many a martyr has been burned
at the stake while the votes were being counted." -- Thomas B. Reed


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 04-27-2008, 08:00 AM
Tzafrir Cohen
 
Default I need further understanding of wine or bash

On Sat, Apr 26, 2008 at 12:40:39AM +1200, Chris Bannister wrote:

> You've gotta be careful with #!/bin/sh it may not be linked to bash,
> i.e:
>
> ls -al /bin/sh
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 2008-01-22 04:04 /bin/sh -> /bin/dash

I did check for bashism in the script before posting it.

I tend to avoid bashism in my scripts for exactly that reason.

--
Tzafrir Cohen | tzafrir@jabber.org | VIM is
http://tzafrir.org.il | | a Mutt's
tzafrir@cohens.org.il | | best
ICQ# 16849754 | | friend


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 03:51 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org