-   -   I need further understanding of wine or bash (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/73649-i-need-further-understanding-wine-bash.html)

"Damon L. Chesser" 04-21-2008 03:39 PM

I need further understanding of wine or bash

Brian McKee wrote:

On 21-Apr-08, at 11:08 AM, Damon L. Chesser wrote:

if I use a term and cd into the games dir and type " wine Sins of
a Solar Empire.exe " it works

Why not try adding a 'cd into the games dir' before the wine line?

Brian

Brian,

That worked:

#bin/bash!

cd /home/damon/C_drive/'Program Files'/'Stardock Games'/'Sins of a Solar
Empire'

wine 'Sins of a Solar Empire.exe'

--
Damon L. Chesser
damon@damtek.com

"Dylan Garrett" 04-21-2008 06:05 PM

I need further understanding of wine or bash

if I use a term and cd into the games dir and type " wine Sins of a Solar Empire.exe " it works

Why not try adding a 'cd into the games dir' before the wine line?

Brian
Brian,

That worked:

#bin/bash!

cd /home/damon/C_drive/'Program Files'/'Stardock Games'/'Sins of a Solar Empire'

wine 'Sins of a Solar Empire.exe'

--
Damon L. Chesser
damon@damtek.com
http://www.linkedin.com/in/dchesser

One issue that I see that you should fix (though it won't affect your results):
#bin/bash!
Should be:
#!/usr/bin/bash
Or better yet:
#!/usr/bin/env bash

"Damon L. Chesser" 04-21-2008 06:12 PM

damon@damtek.com <mailto:damon@damtek.com>
http://www.linkedin.com/in/dchesser

One issue that I see that you should fix (though it won't affect your
results):

#bin/bash!
Should be:
#!/usr/bin/bash
Or better yet:
#!/usr/bin/env bash

Thanks!

Tzafrir Cohen 04-21-2008 08:43 PM

On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 02:05:23PM -0400, Dylan Garrett wrote:

> One issue that I see that you should fix (though it won't affect your
> results):
> #bin/bash!
> Should be:
> #!/usr/bin/bash

/usr/bin/bash? where? /bin/bash

> Or better yet:
> #!/usr/bin/env bash

Or simpler:

#!/bin/sh

http://tzafrir.org.il | | a Mutt's
tzafrir@cohens.org.il | | best
ICQ# 16849754 | | friend

"Dylan Garrett" 04-21-2008 09:18 PM

On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 4:43 PM, Tzafrir Cohen <tzafrir@cohens.org.il> wrote:

On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 02:05:23PM -0400, Dylan Garrett wrote:

> One issue that I see that you should fix (though it won't affect your

> results):

> #bin/bash!

> Should be:

> #!/usr/bin/bash

/usr/bin/bash? where? /bin/bash

> Or better yet:

> #!/usr/bin/env bash

Or simpler:

#!/bin/sh

--

Tzafrir Cohen * * * * | tzafrir@jabber.org | VIM is

http://tzafrir.org.il | * * * * * * * * * *| a Mutt's

tzafrir@cohens.org.il | * * * * * * * * * *| *best

ICQ# 16849754 * * * * | * * * * * * * * * *| friend

Oh, duh. Of course bash isn't in /usr/bin. I guess I forgot my linux for a second. :P
Thanks for fixing my mistake. And sorry to Damon.

"Damon L. Chesser" 04-21-2008 09:59 PM

<mailto:tzafrir@cohens.org.il>> wrote:

On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 02:05:23PM -0400, Dylan Garrett wrote:

> One issue that I see that you should fix (though it won't affect
your
> results):
> #bin/bash!
> Should be:
> #!/usr/bin/bash

/usr/bin/bash? where? /bin/bash

> Or better yet:
> #!/usr/bin/env bash

Or simpler:

#!/bin/sh

--
Tzafrir Cohen | tzafrir@jabber.org
<mailto:tzafrir@jabber.org> | VIM is
| best

ICQ# 16849754 | | friend

Oh, duh. Of course bash isn't in /usr/bin. I guess I forgot my linux
for a second. :P

Thanks for fixing my mistake. And sorry to Damon.

Hey,

I am the guy, after seen this for YEARS wrote #bin/bash! ! If I would
have taken a second to SAY it (sha-bang) I would have realized it. No
apologies needed.

"Damon L. Chesser" 04-21-2008 10:50 PM

Rich Healey wrote:

Damon L. Chesser wrote:

Dylan Garrett wrote:

On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 4:43 PM, Tzafrir Cohen <tzafrir@cohens.org.il
<mailto:tzafrir@cohens.org.il>> wrote:

On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 02:05:23PM -0400, Dylan Garrett wrote:

> One issue that I see that you should fix (though it won't affect
your
> results):
> #bin/bash!
> Should be:
> #!/usr/bin/bash

/usr/bin/bash? where? /bin/bash

> Or better yet:
> #!/usr/bin/env bash

Or simpler:

#!/bin/sh

--
Tzafrir Cohen | tzafrir@jabber.org
<mailto:tzafrir@jabber.org> | VIM is
http://tzafrir.org.il | | a Mutt's
tzafrir@cohens.org.il <mailto:tzafrir@cohens.org.il> |
| best

ICQ# 16849754 | | friend

Oh, duh. Of course bash isn't in /usr/bin. I guess I forgot my linux
for a second. :P
Thanks for fixing my mistake. And sorry to Damon.

Hey,

I am the guy, after seen this for YEARS wrote #bin/bash! ! If I would
have taken a second to SAY it (sha-bang) I would have realized it. No
apologies needed.

I'm still not sure why they're called sha-bangs.. am i missing something
really blatant?

Dammit ten years using unix and this is the thing i don't get..

LOL, Damned if I know. Goes back to a time when gods walked the halls
of AT&T I think. I am thinking of people who did not like the new
fangled "text" editor because "I do not like to see the state of the
file while I am editing it". Quote is from "*Go to: The Story of the
Math Majors, Bridge Players, Engineers, Chess Wizards, Scientists and
Iconoclasts who were the Hero Programmers of the Software Revolution"
*by Steve Lohr. That was the response of one of the Unix/Sun founders
when he was shown emm (Editor for Mere Mortals) and his response is why
it was named Emm or so the author claims. Forwarding this back to the
list, maybe someone knows?

Chris Bannister 04-25-2008 12:40 PM

On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 08:43:53PM +0000, Tzafrir Cohen wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 02:05:23PM -0400, Dylan Garrett wrote:
>
> > One issue that I see that you should fix (though it won't affect your
> > results):
> > #bin/bash!
> > Should be:
> > #!/usr/bin/bash
>
> /usr/bin/bash? where? /bin/bash
>
> > Or better yet:
> > #!/usr/bin/env bash
>
> Or simpler:
>
> #!/bin/sh

You've gotta be careful with #!/bin/sh it may not be linked to bash,
i.e:

ls -al /bin/sh
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 2008-01-22 04:04 /bin/sh -> /bin/dash

--
Chris.
======

Tzafrir Cohen 04-27-2008 08:00 AM

On Sat, Apr 26, 2008 at 12:40:39AM +1200, Chris Bannister wrote:

> You've gotta be careful with #!/bin/sh it may not be linked to bash,
> i.e:
>
> ls -al /bin/sh
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 2008-01-22 04:04 /bin/sh -> /bin/dash

I did check for bashism in the script before posting it.

I tend to avoid bashism in my scripts for exactly that reason.

http://tzafrir.org.il | | a Mutt's
tzafrir@cohens.org.il | | best
ICQ# 16849754 | | friend