-   -   Question on setting up NFS (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/73549-question-setting-up-nfs.html)

"Owen Townend" 04-21-2008 12:41 PM

Question on setting up NFS

On 21/04/2008, Pete Kay <petedao@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,

Here is the result for the two commands:

ser:# dmesg |tail
EXT3 FS on hda1, internal journal
loop: loaded (max 8 devices)
device-mapper: ioctl: 4.7.0-ioctl (2006-06-24) initialised: dm-devel@redhat.com

NET: Registered protocol family 10
lo: Disabled Privacy Extensions
IPv6 over IPv4 tunneling driver
ACPI: Power Button (FF) [PWRF]
ACPI: Power Button (CM) [PWRB]
lp0: using parport0 (interrupt-driven).
ppdev: user-space parallel port driver

ser:# apt-get install nfs-common
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree******
Reading state information... Done
nfs-common is already the newest version.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 2 not upgraded.

I think the nfs-common is already installed...

Pete

Hey,
**Looks ok so far, more things to check:

**Does /sbin/mount.nfs exist?
**if you add/change the server line to
/var/fs 127.0.0.1(rw,sync)
**and re-export can you mount this locally on the server?
debian:# mount localhost:/var/fs /mnt

**Also, in your initial email, either the output of `exportfs`

was truncated or the export isn't working as it should be
listed in the output. Try reloading*and/or*restarting the
nfs-server:
debian:# invoke-rc.d*nfs-kernel-server*reload
(or nfs-user-server)

cheers,

Owen.

"Pete Kay" 04-21-2008 01:02 PM

Question on setting up NFS

Hi Owen,

Thank you so much for your guidance.* Based on your instruction, I found out the following:

1. /sbin/mount.nfs does not exist in the client machine and server machine
2. I can mount locally on the server machine with no problem.

What could have gone wrong?

Thanks,
Pete

Daniel Burrows 04-21-2008 01:40 PM

Question on setting up NFS

On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 10:06:38PM +1000, Owen Townend <owen.townend@gmail.com> was heard to say:
> Do you have the nfs-common package installed?

I thought it was nfs-client you needed to connect to an NFS server?

Daniel

"Owen Townend" 04-21-2008 02:52 PM

Question on setting up NFS

On 21/04/2008, Daniel Burrows <dburrows@debian.org> wrote:
On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 10:06:38PM +1000, Owen Townend <owen.townend@gmail.com> was heard to say:

>** Do you have the nfs-common package installed?

**I thought it was nfs-client you needed to connect to an NFS server?

**Daniel
Hey,
**Yeah,*nfs-client*is*a*virtual*package*that*depends*only on*nfs-common.
**I was testing the commands here on Ubuntu, but firing up an etch vm
I noticed that /sbin/mount/nfs doesn't exist but it has no issues mounting nfs.

It does have the nfs-common package installed. NFS mounting is handled
internally by /bin/mount instead of using /sbin/mount.nfs

**What is the output of*this?:
ser:# showmount -e 192.168.1.101

and trying explicit options:
ser:# mount*-v 192.168.1.101:/var/fs /mnt/nfs
ser:# mount*-vt*nfs*-o*nolock 192.168.1.101:/var/fs /mnt/nfs
ser:# mount*-vt*nfs4*192.168.1.101:/var/fs /mnt/nfs

cheers,
Owen.*

"Pete Kay" 04-21-2008 03:20 PM

Question on setting up NFS

Hi Owen:

Here is the output of running the 4 commands:

ser:# showmount -e 192.168.1.101
Export list for 192.168.1.101:
/var/fs 127.0.0.1,192.168.1.104

ser:# mount -v 192.168.1.101:/var/fs /mnt/nfs
mount: no type was given - I'll assume nfs because of the colon
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on 192.168.1.101:/var/fs,
****** missing codepage or helper program, or other error

****** (for several filesystems (e.g. nfs, cifs) you might
****** need a /sbin/mount.<type> helper program)
****** In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
****** dmesg | tail* or so

ser:# mount -vt nfs -o nolock 192.168.1.101:/var/fs /mnt/nfs

mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on 192.168.1.101:/var/fs,
****** missing codepage or helper program, or other error
****** (for several filesystems (e.g. nfs, cifs) you might
****** need a /sbin/mount.<type> helper program)

****** In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
****** dmesg | tail* or so

ser:# mount -vt nfs4 192.168.1.101:/var/fs /mnt/nfs
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on 192.168.1.101:/var/fs,

****** missing codepage or helper program, or other error
****** (for several filesystems (e.g. nfs, cifs) you might
****** need a /sbin/mount.<type> helper program)
****** In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try