-   -   Getting debian to ignore hdb on bootup (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/73438-getting-debian-ignore-hdb-bootup.html)

Jonathan Kaye 04-21-2008 08:50 AM

Getting debian to ignore hdb on bootup

Hi all,
Hopefully an easy question. I have a dodgy 2nd hard disk which I can't
remove for the moment. On bootup I get a million error messages like this:
device hdb1, logical block 1
hdb: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
hdb: dma_intr: error=0x40 { UncorrectableError }, LBAsect=65, high=0,
low=65, sector=65
ide: failed opcode was: unknown
end_request: I/O error, dev hdb, sector 65
Buffer I/O error on device hdb1, logical block 2
hdb: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
hdb: dma_intr: error=0x40 { UncorrectableError }, LBAsect=65, high=0,
low=65, sector=63
ide: failed opcode was: unknown
end_request: I/O error, dev hdb, sector 63

Eventually bootup gets through this but now booting takes about 15 minutes.
Is there anything in the startup routine that I can alter so that the
system ignores /dev/hdb?
/dev/hda is fine and that's where my system resides. I tried disabling the
2nd hard disk from the bios but that didn't seem to have any effect.

Thanks for any help on this matter.
Jonathan

NN_il_Confusionario 04-21-2008 09:50 AM

Getting debian to ignore hdb on bootup

> * From: Jonathan Kaye <jdkaye10@yahoo.es>
>Is there anything in the startup routine that I can alter so that the
>system ignores /dev/hdb?

Linkname: The Linux BootPrompt-HowTo: Hard Disks

>I tried disabling the
>2nd hard disk from the bios but that didn't seem to have any effect.

Linux does not use the bios to access disks (at most it can read from
the bios the "fake geometry" so that this "geometry" used by the bios,
the mbr and the boot loader are the same)

Ron Johnson 04-21-2008 11:58 AM

Getting debian to ignore hdb on bootup

Jonathan Kaye 04-21-2008 04:42 PM

Getting debian to ignore hdb on bootup

Ron Johnson wrote:

<snip>
> In /etc/fstab, try adding noauto to /dev/hdbX's field #4.
>
> - --
> Ron Johnson, Jr.
Thanks for the suggestion, Ron but /dev/hdbX (where X is any number or
nothing) is not in my fstab; only /dev/hda1 and /dev/hda5 (and the cdrom
drives)
Cheers,
Jonathan

Jonathan Kaye 04-21-2008 04:55 PM

NN_il_Confusionario wrote:

>> * From: Jonathan Kaye <jdkaye10@yahoo.es>
>>Is there anything in the startup routine that I can alter so that the
>>system ignores /dev/hdb?
>
> Linkname: The Linux BootPrompt-HowTo: Hard Disks
>
>>I tried disabling the
>>2nd hard disk from the bios but that didn't seem to have any effect.
>
> Linux does not use the bios to access disks (at most it can read from
> the bios the "fake geometry" so that this "geometry" used by the bios,
> the mbr and the boot loader are the same)

Thanks for the link. Just to be sure I understand, in my /boot/grub/menu.lst
file I have this:
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.24-1-686 root=/dev/hda1 ro
I should change this line to
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.24-1-686 root=/dev/hda1 ro hdb=noprobe

Is this the correct place for the boot option?
Thanks again.
Jonathan

NN_il_Confusionario 04-21-2008 07:48 PM

On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 06:55:30PM +0200, Jonathan Kaye wrote:
> kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.24-1-686 root=/dev/hda1 ro hdb=noprobe

the syntax is correct; you might also want to try other options such as
hdb=none (if needed)

Jonathan Kaye 04-22-2008 09:16 AM

NN_il_Confusionario wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 06:55:30PM +0200, Jonathan Kaye wrote:
>> kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.24-1-686 root=/dev/hda1 ro hdb=noprobe
>
> the syntax is correct; you might also want to try other options such as
> hdb=none (if needed)

Thanks NN. Sadly, I tried both hdb=noprobe and hdb=none but the boot up
routine paid absolutely no attention. The same problem persists. Is there
any other place I could tell the bootup routine to ignore hdb?
Thanks again,
Jonathan

Jochen Schulz 04-22-2008 11:16 AM

Getting debian to ignore hdb on bootup

Jonathan Kaye:

> Thanks for the link. Just to be sure I understand, in my /boot/grub/menu.lst
> file I have this:
> kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.24-1-686 root=/dev/hda1 ro
> I should change this line to
> kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.24-1-686 root=/dev/hda1 ro hdb=noprobe
>
> Is this the correct place for the boot option?

Generally yes, but when using packaged kernels you should edit the line
beginning with '# kopt' (yes, it's commented out) and run 'update-grub'
afterwards. That way all boot entries are generated automatically with
all the options you defined.

J.
--
If you do not move for long enough, you might see a rat.
[Agree] [Disagree]

NN_il_Confusionario 04-22-2008 12:31 PM

On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 11:16:35AM +0200, Jonathan Kaye wrote:
> > On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 06:55:30PM +0200, Jonathan Kaye wrote:
> >> kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.24-1-686 root=/dev/hda1 ro hdb=noprobe
> I tried both hdb=noprobe and hdb=none but the boot up
> routine paid absolutely no attention. The same problem persists. Is there
> any other place I could tell the bootup routine to ignore hdb?

Besides the already proposed /etc/fstab (but you said that you already
checked), you could furter develop Ron Johnson's suggestion by manually
check the scripts in /etc/init.d/ (or even everything started by
/etc/inittab )

The fact that you error message explicilty uses hdb1 suggests for a

grep -r hdb1 /etc/
grep -r hdb /etc/
grep -r hd /etc/init.d/
grep -r partitions /etc/init.d/ # is someting parsing /proc/partitions ?
grep -r fdisk /etc/init.d/ # is someting parsing fdisk -l ?
less /etc/rc.local

and so on (for example, one possibility is the hdparm script. Other
possibilities incude scripts for lvm, cryptsetup, software raid, ...)

Also, the surrounding messages (after and before the hdb1 error messages)
can help to understand at which point of the boot process the error happens,
and so to undertsnd which files you need to change

Returning to the hdb=noprobe and hdb=none options for the kernel: they
do their job when the ide support is builtin in the kernel. But if such
a support is modular (and then loaded by the initrd, since you say that
root=/dev/hda1) then you should pass these options not to the kernel,
but to the modprobe / insmod command which, inside the initrd, loads the
ide module (and in particolar, you should rebuild the initrd). As
suggested by the link, Documentation/ide.txt (and
Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt) inside kernel sources (or debian
pakages for linux-doc-2.6.*) has more details (in this momen I am not
able to surely locate the name of the module, but I suspect ide-core).

See also

Linkname: Linux-Kernel Archive: Re: ide0=noprobe, hda=noprobe, hda=none ignored?

found with

hdb=none - Google Search
http://www.google.com/search?q=hdb%3Dnone&num=100

Jonathan Kaye 04-22-2008 05:07 PM

NN_il_Confusionario wrote:

>> I tried both hdb=noprobe and hdb=none but the boot up
>> routine paid absolutely no attention. The same problem persists. Is there
>> any other place I could tell the bootup routine to ignore hdb?

<snip>
> See also
>
> Linkname: Linux-Kernel Archive: Re: ide0=noprobe, hda=noprobe, hda=none
> ignored?

Hi NN,
Again, thanks so much for your patience and knowledge. I'm learning a lot
this way.

The above link you sent seems to be exactly what I need! I've followed the
steps.
1) check if you have ide_core loaded as module:
Yes, I do.
lsmod | grep ide_core
ide_core 108292 4 ide_cd,ide_disk,via82cxxx,generic
2) Check if you have an initrd in /boot:
Yes, I do.
ls /boot/initrd*`uname -r`
/boot/initrd.img-2.6.24-1-686
3) Check if you use /etc/modprobe.conf, or /etc/modprobe.d
I use /etc/modprobe.d
ls -ld /etc/modprobe.conf /etc/modprobe.d
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 2008-04-19 09:07 /etc/modprobe.d

4) So if I understand things correctly, to stop my system from probing hdb I
should execute the following command:
echo 'options ide_core options="hdb=noprobe"' >/etc/modprobe.d/noprobe

This will create a file, noprobe in my /etc/modprobe.d folder.

Then I execute
sudo update-initramfs -u

5) I'll skip this step

After that I just reboot and as they say "enjoy the no probing".
6) reboot

Does all this seem correct?
Thanks again.
Jonathan