Old 04-22-2008, 06:55 PM
NN_il_Confusionario

Default Getting debian to ignore hdb on bootup

On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 07:07:35PM +0200, Jonathan Kaye wrote:
> sudo update-initramfs -u

I cannot directly confirm that step since I do not use initramfs-tools
(I build my initrd, when it is needed, with yaird to avoid like a plague
putting udev in the initrd. Well, I also do not use sudo but one of its
many equivalents).

I hope that in the process you really learned something useful, since
from a pratical point of view simply disconnecting the ide cable from
hdb (when the pc is off) would have been the same as hdb=none, only much
faster ...

Old 04-23-2008, 05:14 AM
Jonathan Kaye

NN_il_Confusionario wrote:

<snip>

> I hope that in the process you really learned something useful, since
> from a pratical point of view simply disconnecting the ide cable from
> hdb (when the pc is off) would have been the same as hdb=none, only much
> faster ...

You are quite right. Physical disconnection would be quicker but I'd like to
try the software solution.
Thanks for all your help.
Cheers,
Jonathan

Old 04-23-2008, 06:06 AM
Jonathan Kaye

NN_il_Confusionario wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 07:07:35PM +0200, Jonathan Kaye wrote:
>> sudo update-initramfs -u
>
> I cannot directly confirm that step since I do not use initramfs-tools
> (I build my initrd, when it is needed, with yaird to avoid like a plague
> putting udev in the initrd. Well, I also do not use sudo but one of its
> many equivalents).
>
> I hope that in the process you really learned something useful, since
> from a pratical point of view simply disconnecting the ide cable from
> hdb (when the pc is off) would have been the same as hdb=none, only much
> faster ...

I followed that steps I posted earlier and, YES! no Debian does not probe
hdb. Bootup in under a minute (instead of more than 15 minutes).
Thanks to everyone for proving once again that the Debian list is
AWESOME! :-)
Jonathan

Old 04-23-2008, 10:02 AM
Ron Johnson

Old 04-23-2008, 03:51 PM
NN_il_Confusionario

On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 05:02:36AM -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
> I wonder what to do in custom kernels when ide-core is compiled in.

one passes the option to the kernel using the boot loader.

However, from Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt it might be that
one needs something like ide-core.hdb=none rather than hdb=none
Citation from that file:

Module parameters for loadable modules are specified only as the
parameter name with optional '=' and value as appropriate, such as:

modprobe usbcore blinkenlights=1

Module parameters for modules that are built into the kernel image
are specified on the kernel command line with the module name plus
'.' plus parameter name, with '=' and value if appropriate, such as:

usbcore.blinkenlights=1