Old 04-21-2008, 08:20 AM
"John Marvin L. Magsino"

Default Webalizer Seizes to work after a cronjob addendum

Good Day,
I am kinda newbie to Linux and I was wondering if someone could help me.
i have setup a Debian box running etch 4.0 r2 via netinstal. installed apache2 php5 mysql webalizer and munin.
I did a cronjob that will shutdown the box @ 1 am. and booted the computer via BIOS config @ 6 am.

i checked manually executed webalizer via bash command

$ webalizer.

it says /var/log/apache2/access.log.1 could not be read.
i checked the /var/log/apache2/ and found out that only access.log exists. i guess it is not generating access.log.1 because of the crontab i made.

From here I dont knw what to do. how can I make Webalizer work ?
--
=================================
JOHN MARVIN L. MAGSINO

Systems Administrator
TAO Corporation

Old 04-21-2008, 09:03 AM
Jochen Schulz

John Marvin L. Magsino:

> it says /var/log/apache2/access.log.1 could not be read.
> i checked the /var/log/apache2/ and found out that only access.log exists. i
> guess it is not generating access.log.1 because of the crontab i made.

Usually, the program logrotate moves access.log to access.log.1 and so
on. Cron starts logrotate every day at about 06:25 (during the
cron.daily run, see /etc/crontab). If your computer isn't running at
that time, logrotate (and other daily jobs) will never be run.

Solution: just install anacron. It makes sure all your daily cronjobs
will be run, even if your comupter isn't powered on at the time at which
the daily jobs usually run.

J.
--
Whenever I hear the word 'art' I reach for my visa card.
[Agree] [Disagree]