-   -   What are proper permissions for home directory? (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/73343-what-proper-permissions-home-directory.html)

"Owen Townend" 04-21-2008 02:33 AM

What are proper permissions for home directory?

On 21/04/2008, Dylan Garrett <dylan.garrett@gmail.com> wrote:
So apparently some script I ran decided that it would be ok to modify the permissions of my home directory. I now get an occasional "unsafe permissions" warning referring to config files in my home directory when I run certain apps such as gpg or when I log in through gdm. What should the permissions of the files in my home directory be?

Hey,
**The default is 755 though it is common to use 750*for a little privacy.
**IIRC the warning displays if you have the write bit set for anyone but you.

cheers,
Owen.

Lee Glidewell 04-21-2008 03:22 AM

On Sunday 20 April 2008 07:33:33 pm Owen Townend wrote:
> On 21/04/2008, Dylan Garrett <dylan.garrett@gmail.com> wrote:
> >What should the permissions of the files in my home directory be?
> Hey,
> The default is 755 though it is common to use 750 for a little privacy.
> IIRC the warning displays if you have the write bit set for anyone but
> you.
This is true. The only question I have is whether the script modified the
permissions recursively, in which case the warnings would be explained. Many
of the hidden config files in the user's home root are supposed to be 644 or
600. In some cases, wrong permissions on those files can all but brick the
account.

"Dylan Garrett" 04-21-2008 10:34 AM

On Sun, Apr 20, 2008 at 11:22 PM, Lee Glidewell <lee.glidewell@gmail.com> wrote:

On Sunday 20 April 2008 07:33:33 pm Owen Townend wrote:

> On 21/04/2008, Dylan Garrett <dylan.garrett@gmail.com> wrote:

> >What should the permissions of the files in my home directory be?

> Hey,

> * The default is 755 though it is common to use 750 for a little privacy.

> * IIRC the warning displays if you have the write bit set for anyone but

> you.

This is true. The only question I have is whether the script modified the

permissions recursively, in which case the warnings would be explained. Many

of the hidden config files in the user's home root are supposed to be 644 or

600. In some cases, wrong permissions on those files can all but brick the

account.

The thing is, I'm not actually sure what happened. I guess I'll try not
to mess with permissions too much since everything is at least working.