Old 04-20-2008, 08:03 PM
David Berg

Default Mutt and IMAP-Gmail timeouts

On Sat, Mar 15, 2008 at 09:27:12PM +0100, Florian Kulzer wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 15, 2008 at 12:18:27 -0500, David Berg wrote:
> > Gmail's web interface is getting painfully slow on my old computer so
> > I've decided to go back to using mutt. I've got thing configured pretty
> > well, but any time I'm reading or composing an e-mail the IMAP
> > connection times out. Is there something I can do to keep the
> > connection open while I'm not in folder view?
> >
> > Please CC me in your reply.
>
> Try playing with these parameters:
>
> file:///usr/share/doc/mutt/html/reference.html#imap-keepalive
> file:///usr/share/doc/mutt/html/reference.html#timeout
> file:///usr/share/doc/mutt/html/reference.html#mail-check
>
> AFAIK, mutt's default imap_keepalive time of 900 seconds is too long for
> Gmail. (It seems that Gmail is violating RFC3501, which specifies that
> an imap server has to wait for at least 30 minutes before closing an
> idle connection.) Try to reduce imap_keepalive to 5 minutes. Depending
> on your internet connection, you might have to tweak timeout and
> mail-check to keep mutt's user interface responsive.

I wanted to add some closure to this thread.

>From Florian's suggestion I changed the default imap_keepalive
setting. The setting that is presently working for me is "set
imap_keepalive=300". If I leave a message on the screen and walk away
it will still time out but I haven't had any trouble with disconnects
during compositions.

Hope the information helps someone else.

--Dave