Old 04-20-2008, 10:45 AM
Jude DaShiell

Default debian utility question

Does debian have a utility I can run to check and repair disk permissions?
On a mac under applications and utilities and under disk repair utility
there's a function for repair disk permissions which can check permissions
against a known default set and repair if necessary. It could be the
problems I'm having with dpkg may be because some permissions somewhere
aren't set right.

Old 04-20-2008, 09:10 PM
"Peter Tynan"

On 20/04/2008, Jude DaShiell <jdashiel@shellworld.net> wrote:
> Does debian have a utility I can run to check and repair disk permissions?
> On a mac under applications and utilities and under disk repair utility
> there's a function for repair disk permissions which can check permissions
> against a known default set and repair if necessary. It could be the
> problems I'm having with dpkg may be because some permissions somewhere
> aren't set right.

In most GUI File-managers you check and change permissions by right
clicking an item and clicking properties (or something similar). You
may also want to take a look at the "chmod" command". It's probably
worth noting that generally dpkg is run as root - whenever I see
instructions on using it,, the instructions always seem to follow the
format
su
dpkg ....

Peter

Old 04-21-2008, 01:00 AM
Raj Kiran Grandhi

Jude DaShiell wrote:
Does debian have a utility I can run to check and repair disk
permissions? On a mac under applications and utilities and under disk
repair utility there's a function for repair disk permissions which can
check permissions against a known default set and repair if necessary.
It could be the problems I'm having with dpkg may be because some
permissions somewhere aren't set right.

If all you want to do is ensure that all the files have a specific set
of permissions, you can either use 'chmod -R <perms>' on a directory or
use 'find' to select the files and then use chmod on each of them.

Something like:

You can also use 'find' to report existing permissions. Look into the
-printf option of find, particularly the %M and %m directives.

Look into the man pages of find, chmod and xargs for details.

--
Raj Kiran Grandhi

Old 04-22-2008, 10:03 AM
Chris Bannister

On Sun, Apr 20, 2008 at 05:45:26AM -0500, Jude DaShiell wrote:
> Does debian have a utility I can run to check and repair disk
> permissions? On a mac under applications and utilities and under disk
> repair utility there's a function for repair disk permissions which can
> check permissions against a known default set and repair if necessary.
> It could be the problems I'm having with dpkg may be because some
> permissions somewhere aren't set right.

Hi Jude,

What is the output of the following command: lsof /usr/bin/dpkg

--
Chris.
======

Old 04-23-2008, 09:34 PM
Felix Karpfen

On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 22:03:00 +1200, Chris Bannister wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 20, 2008 at 05:45:26AM -0500, Jude DaShiell wrote:
>> Does debian have a utility I can run to check and repair disk
>> permissions?
>
> Hi Jude,
>
> What is the output of the following command: lsof /usr/bin/dpkg

Queries from a lurker:

When running the above command as "user", I get:

lsof: WARNING: can't stat() xfs file system /dev/.static/dev
Output information may be incomplete.

Should the command be run as "root"; and if so, what might get broken ?

Felix Karpfen

--
Felix Karpfen
Public Key 72FDF9DF (DH/DSA)