Old 04-20-2008, 06:52 AM
"Leo L. Schwab"

Default Urgent: upgrading ipw3945 to 2.6.24

> I tried the stock Debian kernel 2.6.24 plus firmware-iwlwifi from Sid but
> although the wireless card does seem to be recognized it doesn't connect.
> I spent several days wrestling with it but gave up in the end and stayed
> with the older kernel.

iwl3945 works differently (read: not as well) from ipw3945. The
wacky part is that you have to "up" the interface before you can associate
to an AP. The sequence that seems to work reliably for me is:

# ifconfig wlan0 up
# iwconfig wlan0 essid "linksys-netgear-belkin"
# ifup wlan0

Schwab

Old 04-21-2008, 09:51 AM
Chris Bannister

On Sat, Apr 19, 2008 at 11:52:01PM -0700, Leo L. Schwab wrote:
> > I tried the stock Debian kernel 2.6.24 plus firmware-iwlwifi from Sid but
> > although the wireless card does seem to be recognized it doesn't connect.
> > I spent several days wrestling with it but gave up in the end and stayed
> > with the older kernel.
>
> iwl3945 works differently (read: not as well) from ipw3945. The
> wacky part is that you have to "up" the interface before you can associate
> to an AP. The sequence that seems to work reliably for me is:
>
> # ifconfig wlan0 up
> # iwconfig wlan0 essid "linksys-netgear-belkin"
> # ifup wlan0
>
> Schwab

According to http://kernelnewbies.org/Linux_2_6_25 there is:

* iwlwifi: proper monitor support (commit)

Where (commit) is a link to a git.

--
Chris.
======