Old 04-19-2008, 07:41 PM
Paul Csanyi

Default wakeonlan

Hello!

I have a small network at home.

I want to setup the gateway/router Debian Etch to wake up the server box with
wakeonlan.

The server box - Debian Etch has enabled the "Resume on LAN" field in
the Power Management Setup of the Award BIOS.

The server box have also a NIC with wake on LAN cable properly set up.

When I run the command wakeonlan the server box wan't not to wake up.

I use the right MAC address of the servers NIC in this command.

Why can't I use wakeonlan to bring up the server from the gateway?

Any advices will be appreciated!

--
Regards, Paul Csanyi

Old 04-19-2008, 08:25 PM
Andrei Popescu

On Sat, Apr 19, 2008 at 09:41:14PM +0200, Paul Csanyi wrote:

> When I run the command wakeonlan the server box wan't not to wake up.

I never used wake-on-lan, but I see from the description of the
wakeonlan package that it used UDP packets in order to avoid the need
for root. Maybe you should also try etherwake?

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)

Old 04-19-2008, 08:51 PM
Paul Csanyi

Andrei Popescu <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> writes:

> On Sat, Apr 19, 2008 at 09:41:14PM +0200, Paul Csanyi wrote:
>
>> When I run the command wakeonlan the server box wan't not to wake up.
>
> I never used wake-on-lan, but I see from the description of the
> wakeonlan package that it used UDP packets in order to avoid the need
> for root. Maybe you should also try etherwake?

Maybe I don't understand the description of wakeonlan:

"You can wake up WOL compliant Computers which have been powered down
to sleep mode or start WOL compliant Computers with a BIOS feature."

Well, if I power down the server with "shutdown -t 1 -h now" then I
can't to wake it up with wakeonlan?

--
Regards, Paul Csanyi

Old 04-20-2008, 03:10 AM