Old 04-20-2008, 01:53 PM
"John Anthony Kazos Jr."

Default Installing testing on a premade volume

Frans Pop wrote:

No need to CC me; I obviously read the lists (well, one of them anyway).

On Sunday 20 April 2008, John Anthony Kazos Jr. wrote:

Yes, but the problem is that the partition is /dev/hdd, not /dev/hdd1.

Sounds to me like a mistake was made when the filesystem was created.
It was apparently created by running 'mkfs -t ext3 /dev/hdd' instead of
'mkfs -t ext3 /dev/hdd1', which probably means that the partition table
information was destroyed.

It's not a mistake to do this. Partitioning a drive means you want to
have it in several pieces. I don't want to have it in several pieces, so
I just use the whole drive. I've been doing this for many years without
the slightest problem or issue anywhere under any circumstances. I've
just never done it with the boot volume before, and I don't see why it
should be any different.
It also means, if you want to keep the existing data on /dev/hdd, that you
cannot "repartition" that device using partman, nor install Debian to that
drive. You'll have to fix the error first by saving your data somewhere,
create a proper partition table and then copy the data back to a partition.

Maybe it is possible to do all this while keeping the data on hdd, but I
would not bet on it and I certainly don't know how.

The partitioner is incapable of recognizing /dev/hdd as an ext3 volume,
and the install base system refuses to proceed without the partitioner
giving the go-ahead.

That is correct. The installer does not support unpartitioned devices, so
you cannot install Debian to /dev/hdd. Installing Debian to it in the
current situation would destroy the existing data and, as you said you
wanted to keep the data, that seems like a bad move.

Cheers,
FJP

Well, I guess I'll just have to deal with it then. I can crack the case
and install another hard drive, install Debian, copy the data -back-
over, and take the drive back out again. Since none of the e2+3fs
utilities for Windows XP are letting me mount the drive either.

It just seems like quite a silly thing, that we can boot to RAID, we can
boot to LVM, we can even boot over the network, but we can't manage to
boot to one cylinder of a disk drive.

Old 04-20-2008, 02:10 PM
Frans Pop

On Sunday 20 April 2008, John Anthony Kazos Jr. wrote:
> It just seems like quite a silly thing, that we can boot to RAID, we can
> boot to LVM, we can even boot over the network, but we can't manage to
> boot to one cylinder of a disk drive.

Feel free to file a wishlist bug report against partman-base with a request
to support this, but I doubt we'll make a priority issue out of it.

Please add some solid rationale why you think it should be sopported.

From your original message I still understand that you don't actually want
to install to hdd, but only use existing data there. What's the reason you
cannot just add it to /etc/fstab after the installation has been completed?

Old 04-20-2008, 03:04 PM
"John Anthony Kazos Jr."