Old 04-19-2008, 03:54 PM
Michael Wilson

Default Configure grub for Windows XP on second HDD

I have Linux on hd0 and Windows XP Home on hd1 (I installed XP with the Linux
disk disconnected so Windows couldn't mess with it). If I configure the BIOS
to make the Windows drive the first, Windows boots fine, but I can't figure
out how to configure GRUB to boot windows when the Linux disk is first. At
the moment, at the end of my menu.lst, I have:

title Windows XP
map (hd0) (hd1)
map (hd1) (hd0)
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
chainloader +1
makeactive

Which is close as I can get, but still no cigar. Can anyone help?

Thanks, Mike Wilson

-----
Mike Wilson, Wrexham, Wales, UK

Old 04-19-2008, 06:25 PM
David

On Sat, Apr 19, 2008 at 5:54 PM, Michael Wilson
<mikewilsonuk@googlemail.com> wrote:

> I have Linux on hd0 and Windows XP Home on hd1 (I installed XP with the Linux
> disk disconnected so Windows couldn't mess with it). If I configure the BIOS
> to make the Windows drive the first, Windows boots fine, but I can't figure
> out how to configure GRUB to boot windows when the Linux disk is first. At
> the moment, at the end of my menu.lst, I have:
>
> title Windows XP
> map (hd0) (hd1)
> map (hd1) (hd0)
> rootnoverify (hd0,0)
> chainloader +1
> makeactive
>
> Which is close as I can get, but still no cigar. Can anyone help?

Here is my XP config in menu.lst:

title Windows XP
rootnoverify (hd1,0)
map (hd0) (hd1)
map (hd1) (hd0)
makeactive
chainloader +1

Old 04-19-2008, 06:25 PM
NN_il_Confusionario

> * From: Michael Wilson <mikewilsonuk@googlemail.com>
>map (hd0) (hd1)
>map (hd1) (hd0)
>rootnoverify (hd0,0)

results from

grub map windows - Google Search
http://www.google.com/search?q=grub+map+windows&num=100

are not completely consistent, but you might try

rootnoverify (hd1,0)

Old 04-20-2008, 01:13 AM
paragasu

On Sun, Apr 20, 2008 at 2:25 AM, NN_il_Confusionario <pinkof.pallus@tiscalinet.it> wrote:

> * * * From: Michael Wilson <mikewilsonuk@googlemail.com>

>map * * * * * * (hd0) (hd1)

>map * * * * * * (hd1) (hd0)

>rootnoverify * *(hd0,0)

results from

*grub map windows - Google Search

*http://www.google.com/search?q=grub+map+windows&num=100

are not completely consistent, but you might try

rootnoverify * *(hd1,0)

i don't know if what i am going to say is OT. but i do remember reading somewhere,
window must be install in the first 1024 cylinder.

http://www.computing.net/answers/linux/dual-boot-windows-xp-and-linux/6141.html

Old 04-20-2008, 02:46 AM

I have Linux on hd0 and Windows XP Home on hd1 (I installed XP with
the Linux
disk disconnected so Windows couldn't mess with it). If I configure
the BIOS
to make the Windows drive the first, Windows boots fine, but I
can't figure
out how to configure GRUB to boot windows when the Linux disk is
first. At

the moment, at the end of my menu.lst, I have:

title Windows XP
map (hd0) (hd1)
map (hd1) (hd0)
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
chainloader +1
makeactive

Which is close as I can get, but still no cigar. Can anyone help?

Try rootnoverify (hd1,0) instead of rootnoverify (hd0,0), that should
work.

As others have noted, searching the web gives you fuzzy results as a
lot of
people have typos or don't quite understand how GRUB works (it's
pretty hard
and at times unpredictable!), and the example configuration given in
GRUB's

official documentation regarding this toping at
<http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/grub.html#DOS_002fWindows>
is more confusing than helpful, in my mind.

Anyway, in the rootnoverify command, you always use the hard disk
number (i.e.
hd0 or hd1 or hd2 etc.) according to the order given by the BIOS, no
matter if

you use the map command or not.

GRUB always uses the order of disks it gets from the BIOS. If you
have two
ATA drives in your computer labelled "A" and "B" and tell the BIOS to
try to
boot from "A" before "B", the "A" disk will correspond to hd0 and the
"B" one
to hd1. If you tell the BIOS to boot from "B" disk before "A" disk,
it will be

the other way round (hd0 for "B", hd1 for "A").

You then tell GRUB from which device to boot. If it is a system GRUB
natively
supports (such as Debian), you use the root command. If it is a
'foreign'

system (such as Windows, but also others), you use rootnoverify.

Windows is, again, special in that it wants to be on the first drive
only, so you
have to use the map commands as in your example. However, this
doesn't affect
the syntax in rootnoverify, so you still need to use "rootnoverify
(hd1,0)" if
Windows is on the second drive (according to BIOS order). As far as I
know, you
could even reverse the order of the rootnoverify and the map
commands, i.e.:

title Windows XP
rootnoverify (hd1,0)
map (hd0) (hd1)
map (hd1) (hd0)
makeactive
chainloader +1

I think that is what I did (don't have access to the file at the
moment) because

this appears more logical when reading the file later.

-Moritz

Old 04-20-2008, 07:31 AM
Michael Wilson

> Here is my XP config in menu.lst:
>
> title Windows XP
> rootnoverify (hd1,0)
> map (hd0) (hd1)
> map (hd1) (hd0)
> makeactive
> chainloader +1

That did the trick -- many thanks for your help. It was the rootnoverify I
had wrong. As has been pointed out on this thread, the GRUB docs and
examples are confusing.

-----
Mike Wilson, Wrexham, Wales, UK