-   -   listening to BBC (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/72574-listening-bbc.html)

Richard Lyons 04-19-2008 01:50 PM

listening to BBC

I suppose the BBC has changed its codec or something. I used to be able
to play "Listen Again" programmes on the BBC site with their BBC Radio
Player, which opened in a separate Firefox/Iceweasel window. Now it
just complains about a missing codec called, oddly, "cook". Is
there a debian package for this? Or if not is there some other way to
hear the BBC in debian?

TIA

richard

Brad Rogers 04-19-2008 03:05 PM

listening to BBC

On Sat, 19 Apr 2008 15:50:02 +0200
Richard Lyons <richard@the-place.net> wrote:

Hello Richard,

> I suppose the BBC has changed its codec or something. I used to be
> able to play "Listen Again" programmes on the BBC site with their BBC
> Radio Player, which opened in a separate Firefox/Iceweasel window.
> Now it just complains about a missing codec called, oddly, "cook". Is
> there a debian package for this? Or if not is there some other way to
> hear the BBC in debian?

I hate to say this, but it works for me, using Testing.

--
Regards _
/ ) "The blindingly obvious is

Never much liked playing there anyway
Banned From The Roxy - Crass

"Wu-Kung Sun" 04-19-2008 03:11 PM

listening to BBC

On Sat, Apr 19, 2008 at 8:50 AM, Richard Lyons <richard@the-place.net> wrote:
> I suppose the BBC has changed its codec or something. I used to be able
> to play "Listen Again" programmes on the BBC site with their BBC Radio
> Player, which opened in a separate Firefox/Iceweasel window. Now it
> just complains about a missing codec called, oddly, "cook". Is
> there a debian package for this? Or if not is there some other way to
> hear the BBC in debian?
>
> TIA
>
> richard

Cook is the realaudio codec. Check about:plugins to make sure you
have something to handle realaudio like realplayer or mplayer.

--
swk

Paul Johnson 04-19-2008 05:10 PM

listening to BBC

On Saturday 19 April 2008 06:50:02 am Richard Lyons wrote:
> I suppose the BBC has changed its codec or something. I used to be able
> to play "Listen Again" programmes on the BBC site with their BBC Radio
> Player, which opened in a separate Firefox/Iceweasel window. Now it
> just complains about a missing codec called, oddly, "cook". Is
> there a debian package for this? Or if not is there some other way to
> hear the BBC in debian?

I've found the quality of their stream to be obnoxiously low and their website
to be an utter mess... while not a Debian solution or by any means a
universal one (BBC having axed the universal option a couple years ago when
they stopped transmitting on shortwave), but at least North Americans can get
BBC Radio 1 on channel 11 and BBC World Service on channel 141 if you have a
Sirius radio. That might be a far easier option than dealing with BBC's
broken-ass web design.

--
Paul Johnson
baloo@ursine.ca

04-19-2008 11:36 PM

listening to BBC

Richard Lyons wrote:
> I suppose the BBC has changed its codec or something. I used to be able
> to play "Listen Again" programmes on the BBC site with their BBC Radio
> Player, which opened in a separate Firefox/Iceweasel window. Now it
> just complains about a missing codec

Perhaps previously you were using a different system? I don't think
the BBC site has changed with regards to this part for a while.

> called, oddly, "cook". Is there a debian package for this? Or if
> not is there some other way to hear the BBC in debian?

Not in US Debian due to US laws. But it is available from the
Marillat site outside of the US. The information you need is here:

http://debian-multimedia.org/

The mozilla-mplayer plugin will handle the file types that you need.
You may also want the w32codecs too.

Bob

Bob Cox 04-20-2008 07:54 AM

listening to BBC

On Sat, Apr 19, 2008 at 17:36:28 -0600, Bob Proulx (bob@proulx.com) wrote:

> Richard Lyons wrote:
> > I suppose the BBC has changed its codec or something. I used to be able
> > to play "Listen Again" programmes on the BBC site with their BBC Radio
> > Player, which opened in a separate Firefox/Iceweasel window. Now it
> > just complains about a missing codec
>
> Perhaps previously you were using a different system? I don't think
> the BBC site has changed with regards to this part for a while.
>
> > called, oddly, "cook". Is there a debian package for this? Or if
> > not is there some other way to hear the BBC in debian?
>
> Not in US Debian due to US laws. But it is available from the
> Marillat site outside of the US. The information you need is here:
>
> http://debian-multimedia.org/
>
> The mozilla-mplayer plugin will handle the file types that you need.

I'm in the UK and seem to remember that installing mozilla-mplayer fixed
everything with BBC 'listen again' items and Iceweasel.

> You may also want the w32codecs too.

I also have these installed but cannot remember if they were necessary
for this.

Anthony Campbell 04-21-2008 10:35 AM

listening to BBC

On 20 Apr 2008, Bob Cox wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 19, 2008 at 17:36:28 -0600, Bob Proulx (bob@proulx.com) wrote:
>
> > Richard Lyons wrote:
> > > I suppose the BBC has changed its codec or something. I used to be able
> > > to play "Listen Again" programmes on the BBC site with their BBC Radio
> > > Player, which opened in a separate Firefox/Iceweasel window. Now it
> > > just complains about a missing codec
> >
> > Perhaps previously you were using a different system? I don't think
> > the BBC site has changed with regards to this part for a while.
> >
> > > called, oddly, "cook". Is there a debian package for this? Or if
> > > not is there some other way to hear the BBC in debian?
> >
> > Not in US Debian due to US laws. But it is available from the
> > Marillat site outside of the US. The information you need is here:
> >
> > http://debian-multimedia.org/
> >
> > The mozilla-mplayer plugin will handle the file types that you need.

It does, but I find not as well as Realplayer. The sound stream breaks
briefly and there doesn't seem to be any way to change your place
(fast-forward or backward).

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell - ac@acampbell.org.uk
on-line books and sceptical articles)

Angus Auld 04-21-2008 08:05 PM

listening to BBC

--- Anthony Campbell <ac@acampbell.org.uk> wrote:

> On 20 Apr 2008, Bob Cox wrote:
> > On Sat, Apr 19, 2008 at 17:36:28 -0600, Bob Proulx
> (bob@proulx.com) wrote:

> something. I used to be able
> site with their BBC Radio
> Firefox/Iceweasel window. Now it
> > >
> > > Perhaps previously you were using a different
> system? I don't think
> > > the BBC site has changed with regards to this
> part for a while.

> package for this? Or if
> debian?
> > >
> > > Not in US Debian due to US laws. But it is
> available from the
> > > Marillat site outside of the US. The
> information you need is here:
> > >
> > > http://debian-multimedia.org/
> > >
> > > The mozilla-mplayer plugin will handle the file
> types that you need.
> >
> It does, but I find not as well as Realplayer. The
> sound stream breaks
> briefly and there doesn't seem to be any way to
> change your place
> (fast-forward or backward).
>
> Anthony
I listen to a lot of BBC Radio programming using
Realplayer(from Marillat) on lenny and have very
little problem here, in Canada. I use Opera and I have
configured in options to open .ram and .rm files with
RealPlayer, directly passing the web address to the
player. Works for me. ;)

I love the "beeb".

--
AA