Old 04-19-2008, 11:10 AM
Richard Lyons

Default iceweasel and libflashplayer

On Sat, 19 Apr 2008 07:04:33 -0400, Paul Cartwright wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 19, 2008 at 11:12:33AM +0200, Richard Lyons wrote:
>
> > On an etch box, I recently hit a website that insisted I should upgrade
> > to flashplayer 9. No sweat, I did. Now I notice BBC and other sites
> > keep telling me I need to upgrade flashplayer. aboutlugins says I
> > have flashplayer 7 and flashplayer 9. In that order. I suppose this to
> > be the problem, though I know no way to remove flashplayer 7 from
> > firefox, sorry, iceweasel. locate shows only one libflashplayer.so on
> > my system, that in /usr/lib/iceweasel/plugins/ (I am ignoring the copy
> > in my download directory, which must be irrelevant). I have grepped
> > around in iceweasel trying to find a config file with the defunct
> > pointer to no avail.

> fire up iseweasel and in the URL field type:
> about:config

> then in the filter type flashplayer..

How strange. It shows nothing at all.

Should it show the flashplayer installed (by the Adobe install script)?
Why does aboutlugins show it, and why does it show the previous
version too? It looks as though there are search functions to find the
installed plugins: how does the list of installed plugins get
generated? Why do these big applications hide so much of their working?

richard

Old 04-19-2008, 11:42 AM
Richard Lyons

On Sat, Apr 19, 2008 at 01:26:09PM +0100, Brad Rogers wrote:

> On Sat, 19 Apr 2008 11:12:33 +0200
> Richard Lyons <richard@the-place.net> wrote:
>

> > aboutlugins says I have flashplayer 7 and flashplayer 9. In that
>
> It should also give a path to whichever library/other software is being
> called. Check aboutlugins again and hopefully you'll be able to
> track the v7 stuff down, and eliminate it.

That was what I hoped, but this is all it gives:

Shockwave Flash

Nome file: libflashplayer.so
Shockwave Flash 7.0 r25

Tipo MIME Descrizione Estensione Attivo
application/x-shockwave-flash Shockwave Flash swf Sì
application/futuresplash FutureSplash Player spl Sì
Shockwave Flash

Nome file: libflashplayer.so
Shockwave Flash 9.0 r115

Old 04-19-2008, 12:26 PM
Brad Rogers

On Sat, 19 Apr 2008 11:12:33 +0200

Hello Richard,

--
Regards _
/ ) "The blindingly obvious is

I must be hallucinating, watching angels celebrating
There Must Be An Angel (Playing With My Heart) - Eurythmics

Old 04-19-2008, 01:05 PM
Richard Lyons

On Sat, Apr 19, 2008 at 03:37:06PM +0200, Nigel Henry wrote:

> On Saturday 19 April 2008 13:42, Richard Lyons wrote:
> > On Sat, Apr 19, 2008 at 01:26:09PM +0100, Brad Rogers wrote:

> Hi Richard. Type about:config, then scroll down to the line:
> plugin_expose_full_path
>
> Double click on it, and it will switch from false to true. Now type
> aboutlugins again, and you will see the full paths displayed.

Wow. I had no idea about:config was a _tool_!

That solved it.

Thanks, Nigel.

richard

Old 04-19-2008, 01:09 PM
Richard Lyons

On Sat, Apr 19, 2008 at 02:33:22PM +0100, Brad Rogers wrote:

> On Sat, 19 Apr 2008 13:42:31 +0200
> Richard Lyons <richard@the-place.net> wrote:
>
> Hello Richard,
>
> > That was what I hoped, but this is all it gives:
>
> Not very helpful, that. :-(
>
> Files in /usr/lib/iceweasel/plugins are usually links
> to /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins, anyway.
>
> Also, locate won't always find files if not recorded in its database.
> Mind you, that shouldn't be the case here.

Hmmm...

# updatedb
# locate flashplayer.so
/home/richard/.mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so

So the database was out of date. Odd that. I was sure there was a cron
job updating it daily.

Thanks Brad.

richard

Old 04-19-2008, 01:33 PM
Brad Rogers

On Sat, 19 Apr 2008 13:42:31 +0200
Richard Lyons <richard@the-place.net> wrote:

Hello Richard,

> That was what I hoped, but this is all it gives:

Not very helpful, that. :-(

Files in /usr/lib/iceweasel/plugins are usually links
to /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins, anyway.

Also, locate won't always find files if not recorded in its database.
Mind you, that shouldn't be the case here.

Other possibilities for places to look are /usr/lib/netscape/plugins/,
usr/lib/mozilla-firefox/plugins and ~/.mozilla/plugins.

Sorry if you've already looked in those places, and I'm just covering
old ground.

--
Regards _
/ ) "The blindingly obvious is
/ _)rad never immediately apparent"

The public wants what the public gets
Going Underground - The Jam

Old 04-19-2008, 01:37 PM
Nigel Henry

On Saturday 19 April 2008 13:42, Richard Lyons wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 19, 2008 at 01:26:09PM +0100, Brad Rogers wrote:
> > On Sat, 19 Apr 2008 11:12:33 +0200
> >
> > Richard Lyons <richard@the-place.net> wrote:
> > > aboutlugins says I have flashplayer 7 and flashplayer 9. In that
> >
> > It should also give a path to whichever library/other software is being
> > called. Check aboutlugins again and hopefully you'll be able to
> > track the v7 stuff down, and eliminate it.
>
> That was what I hoped, but this is all it gives:

> Shockwave Flash
>
> Nome file: libflashplayer.so
> Shockwave Flash 7.0 r25
>
> Tipo MIME Descrizione Estensione Attivo
> application/x-shockwave-flash Shockwave Flash swf Sì
> application/futuresplash FutureSplash Player spl Sì
> Shockwave Flash
>
> Nome file: libflashplayer.so
> Shockwave Flash 9.0 r115
>
> Tipo MIME Descrizione Estensione Attivo
> application/x-shockwave-flash Shockwave Flash swf Sì
> application/futuresplash FutureSplash Player spl Sì
>
> richard

Hi Richard. Type about:config, then scroll down to the line:
plugin_expose_full_path

Double click on it, and it will switch from false to true. Now type
aboutlugins again, and you will see the full paths displayed.

Nigel.

Old 04-19-2008, 02:56 PM
Brad Rogers

On Sat, 19 Apr 2008 15:09:05 +0200
Richard Lyons <richard@the-place.net> wrote:

Hello Richard,

> So the database was out of date. Odd that. I was sure there was a
> cron job updating it daily.

There should be, if your machine is on 24/7. If not, maybe you should
install anacron, if you haven't already done so. If anacron is
installed, I've no idea why the db was out of date.

> Thanks Brad.

You're welcome.

--
Regards _