Old 04-19-2008, 11:42 AM
"Asuka Langley"

Default Mount problem SID

Hello

I have a big problem.. to be honest this
problem belongs to a friend of mine, just he can't speak english, and
he is blind, so it's a bit difficult. So..the problem

He have this line in his fstab:

/dev/sdb1 /media/disk2 ext3 auto,users 0 0

This
was working for he .. for few weeks. But after that weeks, the
directory became empty after a reboot. Then, he tried to remount it,
but it says: /dev/sdb is mounted, or the /media/disk folder is busy.

He readed about this problem, and then he used 'dmsetup remove sdb1' and the mount works again. Yes, he can do this workaround, but he is not the only who uses that pc, there are newbies too. He wants to get automount work again.

The OS is an up-to-date Debian Lenny with GNOME desktop environment. He uses ORCA (but I don't think this is a necessary info). The kernel is 2.6.24-1 amd64. If you need other info, then just reply, and I will answer.

ps.: Sorry for the last "half-mail", the Firefox QtGTK gone wild, and it sent itself.. Really sorry. I hope it wont cause a big problem.

Thanks
Regards..
"Asuka"

Old 04-20-2008, 12:35 PM
Chris Bannister

On Sat, Apr 19, 2008 at 01:42:56PM +0200, Asuka Langley wrote:
> Hello
>
> I have a big problem.. to be honest this problem belongs to a friend of
> mine, just he can't speak english, and he is blind, so it's a bit difficult.
> So..the problem
>
> He have this line in his fstab:
> /dev/sdb1 /media/disk2 ext3 auto,users 0 0
>
> This was working for he .. for few weeks. But after that weeks, the
> directory became empty after a reboot. Then, he tried to remount it, but it
> says: /dev/sdb is mounted, or the /media/disk folder is busy.
>
> He readed about this problem, and then he used 'dmsetup remove sdb1' and the
> mount works again. Yes, he can do this workaround, but he is not the only
> who uses that pc, there are newbies too. He wants to get automount work
> again.

He/You could put 'dmsetup remove sdb1' in rc.local

> The OS is an up-to-date Debian Lenny with GNOME desktop environment. He uses
> ORCA (but I don't think this is a necessary info). The kernel is 2.6.24-1
> amd64. If you need other info, then just reply, and I will answer.

It could be a transition. You are aware of the problems running testing,
aren't you?

> ps.: Sorry for the last "half-mail", the Firefox QtGTK gone wild, and it
> sent itself.. Really sorry. I hope it wont cause a big problem.

Aaargh![1] Damn computers. :-)

[1] An old word used in the Commando comics.

--
Chris.
======