Old 04-19-2008, 02:49 AM
"Pete Kay"

Default urgently need help with Debian can't started

Hi,
*
After I installed scim-pinyin, I rebooted the server and I can't bring up Debian X-window anymore.* It does request for the username and password, but then it just hangs there in the screen, and does not go to the main window.*

*
I can reboot to get to command prompt.* Can anyone tell me if there is a way I can restore my X-window using some apt-get install "package"?*
How to do that?* There are many information in the machine that I don't want to lose.
*
Thanks for your help.
*
Regards,
Pete

Old 04-19-2008, 03:04 AM
steve

Old 04-19-2008, 03:10 AM
Kent West

Pete Kay wrote:
After I installed scim-pinyin, I rebooted the server and I can't bring
up Debian X-window anymore. It does request for the username and
password, but then it just hangs there in the screen, and does not go
to the main window.

I can reboot to get to command prompt. Can anyone tell me if there is
a way I can restore my X-window using some apt-get install "package"?
How to do that? There are many information in the machine that I
don't want to lose.

I'm unsure what scim-pinyin is (aptitude show didn't help me much), but
you might try uninstalling it.

But to answer your question, yes, you can restore your X Windowing
System, but you may not need to apt-get anything.

Can you switch to a text terminal (using the keystroke Ctrl-Alt-F1)?
Or, as you mention, you can reboot into a command prompt.

Then check your X logs (with a command like "tail /var/log/Xorg.0.log").
Look for anything obvious.

I'd probably try starting X with a very simple windowing environment, as
root (generally you don't want to run X as root; you might want to
unplug from the network first, and be careful not to do much while
root). One way to do this is to edit/create the file "~/.xinitrc" and
put the single line in there of "twm" or "icewm", using the name of a
simple window manager like twm or icewm. Or better yet, put "xterm" into
~/.xinitrc for a very minimal X. You might need to "apt-get install
icewm twm" to get them first. Then run "startx".

If it fails, again, check the logs, and at this point, you might want to
uninstall scim-pinyin.

If it works, go back and use the simple windowing environment with your
normal user.

This will give you a clue as to if the problem is X or your windowing
environment.

You might also want to create a new user and try logging into X as that
user. It might be user-specific.

Let us know how it goes.

--
Kent

Old 04-19-2008, 03:25 AM
steve

Old 04-20-2008, 04:08 PM
Daniel Burrows

On Sat, Apr 19, 2008 at 10:49:18AM +0800, Pete Kay <petedao@gmail.com> was heard to say:
> After I installed scim-pinyin, I rebooted the server and I can't bring up
> Debian X-window anymore. It does request for the username and password, but
> then it just hangs there in the screen, and does not go to the main window.

Have you tried removing scim-pinyin and seeing if that makes the
problem go away? It looks like the sort of thing that actually could
mess with your X session.

(run "dpkg --purge scim-pinyin" as root)

Daniel