Old 04-18-2008, 05:22 PM
Bhasker C V

Default smartctl Vs lm-sensors

Hi all,

I want to monitor the harddisk temperature since I/O task in my system
is very high and usually heatsup the harddisk.

I get two different values viz. one from lm-sensors and other from
smartctl

smartctl gives me very large values like the one below showing 148
whereas hddtemp or the lm-sensors gives me value

194 Temperature_Celsius 0x0002 148 148 000 Old_age Always
- 37 (Lifetime Min/Max 21/45)

/dev/hda: HTS541010G9AT00: 38 C

Now, which one am i supposed to believe ?

PS: The output above is indicative that the information is definetly
centigrage and not the 194,10xCelsius value. Even if it had been 10x
value, then, the values of 148/10 and 38 do not match.

Am i missing something ?

thanks

--
Bhasker C V
Registered Linux user: #306349 (counter.li.org)

Old 04-18-2008, 06:11 PM
Brian McKee

I want to monitor the harddisk temperature since I/O task in my
system

is very high and usually heatsup the harddisk.

I get two different values viz. one from lm-sensors and other from
smartctl

smartctl gives me very large values like the one below showing 148
whereas hddtemp or the lm-sensors gives me value

194 Temperature_Celsius 0x0002 148 148 000 Old_age
Always

- 37 (Lifetime Min/Max 21/45)
/dev/hda: HTS541010G9AT00: 38

Smartctl is reporting 37 (see it there in the last column?)
The 148 raw value needs to be interpreted, it's not actually in degrees.
See the smartctl man page / website for more info

Brian

Old 04-19-2008, 03:20 PM
Hugo Vanwoerkom

Brian McKee wrote:

I want to monitor the harddisk temperature since I/O task in my system
is very high and usually heatsup the harddisk.

I get two different values viz. one from lm-sensors and other from
smartctl

smartctl gives me very large values like the one below showing 148
whereas hddtemp or the lm-sensors gives me value

194 Temperature_Celsius 0x0002 148 148 000 Old_age Always
- 37 (Lifetime Min/Max 21/45)
/dev/hda: HTS541010G9AT00: 38

Smartctl is reporting 37 (see it there in the last column?)
The 148 raw value needs to be interpreted, it's not actually in degrees.
See the smartctl man page / website for more info

Too bad that you cannot do that with USB HDD's.

Hugo