Old 04-18-2008, 04:22 PM
Florian Kulzer

Default hplip 2.8.2 or 2.8.4 on sid

On Fri, Apr 18, 2008 at 18:04:34 +0200, Thierry Chatelet wrote:
> On Friday 18 April 2008 17:58:37 Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> > On Fri, Apr 18, 2008 at 05:24:17PM +0200, Thierry Chatelet wrote:
> > > Is it possible to install the above, eitherone, on a sid machine. I need
> > > it fot my HP H470 printer.
> >
> > umm... google?
>
> A lot!!!
> >
> > according to http://hplip.sourceforge.net/downloads.html
> >
> > the automatic installer is known to work for all debian since 2.2...
> >

> > looks like the 2.8 series has been out for a bit, might be worthwhile
> > to ping the devs and see what's up.

> Yap, but it is not: it requires cups-dev which is not in debian.

I think it is called libcupsys2-dev on Debian. Just run "aptitude
build-dep hplip" or "apt-get build-dep hplip" and let apt do the work
for you. If that is not enough (i.e. if the build dependencies have
changed between 2.7 and 2.8), use "apt-file" to figure out which package
contains the files that the installer complains about.

Florian |

Old 04-18-2008, 04:33 PM
Thierry Chatelet

On Friday 18 April 2008 18:13:44 Robin wrote:
> On 18/04/2008, Thierry Chatelet <tchatelet@free.fr> wrote:
> >
> > need

> > Maybe libcupsys2-dev and libcupsimage2-dev are Debian equivalents?

Thanks,
It helps, I mean it went a bit father. I got the following:

INSTALL MISSING REQUIRED DEPENDENCIES
-------------------------------------
warning: There are 2 missing REQUIRED dependencies.
note: Installation of dependencies requires an active internet connection.
warning: Missing REQUIRED dependency: libusb (libusb - USB library)
error: This installer cannot install this dependency for your distro/OS and/or
version.
error: Installation cannot continue without this dependency. Please manually
install this dependency and re-run this installer.

libusb is installed. Certainly not the correct version for the installer. It
does not say in the log which version it is looking for. As it does not say
what is the other missing dependency.
I will look deeper into that.
Thierry

Old 04-18-2008, 04:50 PM
Robin

On 18/04/2008, Thierry Chatelet <tchatelet@free.fr> wrote:
On Friday 18 April 2008 18:13:44 Robin wrote:
> On 18/04/2008, Thierry Chatelet <tchatelet@free.fr> wrote:

> > need

> > Maybe libcupsys2-dev and libcupsimage2-dev are Debian equivalents?

Thanks,
It helps, I mean it went a bit father. I got the following:

INSTALL MISSING REQUIRED DEPENDENCIES
-------------------------------------
warning: There are 2 missing REQUIRED dependencies.
note: Installation of dependencies requires an active internet connection.

warning: Missing REQUIRED dependency: libusb (libusb - USB library)
error: This installer cannot install this dependency for your distro/OS and/or
version.
error: Installation cannot continue without this dependency. Please manually

install this dependency and re-run this installer.

libusb is installed. Certainly not the correct version for the installer. It
does not say in the log which version it is looking for. As it does not say

what is the other missing dependency.
I will look deeper into that.

Thierry

libusb-dev and libusb++-dev
--
rob

http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/team/viewTeamInfo.do?teamId=82BS4ZCMFR1

Old 04-18-2008, 04:54 PM
Paul Cartwright

On Fri April 18 2008, Florian Kulzer wrote:
> I think it is called libcupsys2-dev on Debian. Just run "aptitude
> build-dep hplip" or "apt-get build-dep hplip" and let apt do the work
> for you. If that is not enough (i.e. if the build dependencies have
> changed between 2.7 and 2.8), use "apt-file" to figure out which package
> contains the files that the installer complains about.

# aptitude build-dep hplip
Unknown command "build-dep"
aptitude 0.4.10

on Etch..

--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800

Old 04-18-2008, 05:14 PM
Florian Kulzer

On Fri, Apr 18, 2008 at 12:54:13 -0400, Paul Cartwright wrote:
> On Fri April 18 2008, Florian Kulzer wrote:
> > I think it is called libcupsys2-dev on Debian. Just run "aptitude
> > build-dep hplip" or "apt-get build-dep hplip" and let apt do the work
> > for you. If that is not enough (i.e. if the build dependencies have
> > changed between 2.7 and 2.8), use "apt-file" to figure out which package
> > contains the files that the installer complains about.
>
> # aptitude build-dep hplip
> Unknown command "build-dep"
> aptitude 0.4.10
>
> on Etch..

I think "apt-get build-dep hplip" should work on Etch.

Florian |

Old 04-18-2008, 05:24 PM
"Kelly Clowers"

On 4/18/08, Thierry Chatelet <tchatelet@free.fr> wrote:
> Is it possible to install the above, eitherone, on a sid machine. I need it
> fot my HP H470 printer.

For sid, besides using the hp installer, you could also use the ubuntu
hardy version...

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers

Old 04-18-2008, 05:48 PM
Thierry Chatelet

On Friday 18 April 2008 19:24:01 Kelly Clowers wrote:
> On 4/18/08, Thierry Chatelet <tchatelet@free.fr> wrote:
> > Is it possible to install the above, eitherone, on a sid machine. I need
> > it fot my HP H470 printer.
>
> For sid, besides using the hp installer, you could also use the ubuntu
> hardy version...
>

> Cheers,
> Kelly Clowers

Well, after the first step, the installer became more verbiose. I had to
install at least 8 packages mores plus there dependencies. I could install
the printer with cups, and its working. HPLIP does not work. It fail to
start. Starting it in a console, I got the following error:
error: Unable to connect to dbus session bus. Exiting.

I will look at it later.
Thanks to all
Thierry

Old 04-19-2008, 01:26 AM
Thierry Chatelet

On Friday 18 April 2008 19:48:03 Thierry Chatelet wrote:
> Well, after the first step, the installer became more verbiose. I had to
> install at least 8 packages mores plus there dependencies. I could install
> the printer with cups, and its working. HPLIP does not work. It fail to
> start. Starting it in a console, I got the following error:
> error: Unable to connect to dbus session bus. Exiting.
>
> I will look at it later.
> Thanks to all
> Thierry

I had to install dbus-x11. Now everything is working OK.
Thierry

Old 04-19-2008, 01:29 AM
Thierry Chatelet

On Friday 18 April 2008 19:48:03 Thierry Chatelet wrote:
> Well, after the first step, the installer became more verbiose. I had to
> install at least 8 packages mores plus there dependencies. I could install
> the printer with cups, and its working. HPLIP does not work. It fail to
> start. Starting it in a console, I got the following error:
> error: Unable to connect to dbus session bus. Exiting.
>
> I will look at it later.
> Thanks to all
> Thierry

I had to install dbus-x11 to get hplip to work. Everything is ok now
Thanks again.
Thierry

Old 04-19-2008, 02:27 AM
Thierry Chatelet