Old 04-18-2008, 03:39 PM
John Talbut

Default Automounting nfs shares

I have a small home network with nfs set up so that the computers can share
files. Commonly only one of the computers is running, particularly at first. I
would like the running computer(s) to automount the nfs shares from the other
computers when they come on line.

I have been using a line in etc/fstab to mount the shares. This works with the
one problem that a boot time there is a delay and a failure message as the
computer tries to mount the shares from computers that are not on line.

I use gnome-volume-manager (gvm) to automount hardware devices. This, of
course, responds to HAL events and I presume that a computer coming on line on a
network does not cause the kernel to generate a HAL event. Is there any way of
getting gvm to automount nfs shares?

Alternatively, I have read that some people uses autofs to automount nfs shares.
Would there be any problems with using autofs alongside gvm and udev?

John

Old 04-29-2008, 05:14 PM
"Douglas A. Tutty"

On Fri, Apr 18, 2008 at 04:39:03PM +0100, John Talbut wrote:
> I have a small home network with nfs set up so that the computers can share
> files. Commonly only one of the computers is running, particularly at
> first. I would like the running computer(s) to automount the nfs shares
> from the other computers when they come on line.
>
> I have been using a line in etc/fstab to mount the shares. This works with
> the one problem that a boot time there is a delay and a failure message as
> the computer tries to mount the shares from computers that are not on line.
>
> I use gnome-volume-manager (gvm) to automount hardware devices. This, of
> course, responds to HAL events and I presume that a computer coming on line
> on a network does not cause the kernel to generate a HAL event. Is there
> any way of getting gvm to automount nfs shares?
>
> Alternatively, I have read that some people uses autofs to automount nfs
> shares. Would there be any problems with using autofs alongside gvm and
> udev?

If you use a soft mount in fstab then it will background the mouning.
However, if anything later relies on that mount point then that may hang
waiting.

Likely, you only share /home in which case you should probably have the
server come up first. You may want to look at something like an
automount daemon or perhaps a PAM module to just mount the user's home
directory via nfs when they log in.

Doug.