Old 04-18-2008, 03:33 PM
"Vikki Roemer"

Default Naming Schemes (was: Laptop with Linux preinstalled)

On Wed, Mar 5, 2008 at 8:10 AM, Andrei Popescu <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 05, 2008 at 09:51:03AM +0100, Richard Lyons wrote:
>
> > But a name can be a snare and a delusion: we had another
> > quasi-classical name, atticus, so called because it was located in the
> > attic. Then we moved house and it was relocated under the stairs...
> > And I had my office in the potting-shed for a time, so my very
> > odd-looking skeletal tower box, with bits bolted on in all directions,
> > was named potty. But it soon moved indoors and got a new case so that
> > name was out of date too. And how much refitting is needed to justify a
> > rename? new processer, new case, new motherboard, new hard drives, but
> > all at different times, so at which point should it be renamed?
>
> My (currently down) computer is called bixi, because it has an Intel BX
> mainboard. If it turns out I will have to replace it (I hope it's only
> the memory, otherwise I'll have to change just about everything) I'll
> have to think of a new name as well.

Whereas my main computer has had the same name since I set it up--
neuromancer. My naming scheme is AI computers/robots (I have to throw
in robots to include my fiance's computer, Canti). That system has
been in several cases, with several different processors (AMD Duron,
P3, now Celeron D). The only thing that's remained constant is most
of the data in my home dir, and even that's moved across a couple
harddrives.

--
Vikki Roemer

Registered Linux user #280021

"Sometimes the lights all shinin' on me;
Other times I can barely see.
Lately it occurs to me what a long, strange trip its been."
-- Grateful Dead, "Truckin'"

Old 04-18-2008, 09:52 PM
"Adrian Levi"

On 19/04/2008, Vikki Roemer <vikki.roemer@gmail.com> wrote:
> Whereas my main computer has had the same name since I set it up--
> neuromancer. My naming scheme is AI computers/robots (I have to throw
> in robots to include my fiance's computer, Canti). That system has
> been in several cases, with several different processors (AMD Duron,
> P3, now Celeron D). The only thing that's remained constant is most
> of the data in my home dir, and even that's moved across a couple
> harddrives.

My naming scheme is similar to yours, but based on Battlestar
Galactica. I have Caprica(router), Starbuck (Temperamental),
Galactica, Earth(Server), Cylon (Wireless router) and
Basestar(Laptop).

Names remain the same over different hardware - less work. For me it
is the data it holds or the function it performs that I name.

Adrian

--
24x7x365 != 24x7x52 Stupid or bad maths?
apartment it is.

Old 04-19-2008, 02:12 AM
"Vikki Roemer"

On Fri, Apr 18, 2008 at 5:52 PM, Adrian Levi <adrian.levi@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 19/04/2008, Vikki Roemer <vikki.roemer@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Whereas my main computer has had the same name since I set it up--
> > neuromancer. My naming scheme is AI computers/robots (I have to throw
> > in robots to include my fiance's computer, Canti). That system has
> > been in several cases, with several different processors (AMD Duron,
> > P3, now Celeron D). The only thing that's remained constant is most
> > of the data in my home dir, and even that's moved across a couple
> > harddrives.
>
> My naming scheme is similar to yours, but based on Battlestar
> Galactica. I have Caprica(router), Starbuck (Temperamental),
> Galactica, Earth(Server), Cylon (Wireless router) and
> Basestar(Laptop).
>
> Names remain the same over different hardware - less work. For me it
> is the data it holds or the function it performs that I name.

Exactly. My main workstation/server (till I get a separate server) is
neuromancer, my test box is wintermute, my router is alice, and my
laptop is joshua. I had also named my parents' windows computer
HAL9000 and HAL10000. My fiance's desktop is Canti. And the server
is slated to be named aivas.

The only time I changed that scheme was I named my server at school
feanor, till my teacher made me change it to server12.

Old 04-29-2008, 05:10 PM
"Douglas A. Tutty"

On Fri, Apr 18, 2008 at 10:12:16PM -0400, Vikki Roemer wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 18, 2008 at 5:52 PM, Adrian Levi <adrian.levi@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 19/04/2008, Vikki Roemer <vikki.roemer@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Names remain the same over different hardware - less work. For me it
> > is the data it holds or the function it performs that I name.

I guess I do a mix. Part of it depends on the personality of the
computer. It starts off being functional, but after a few years, a
computer gets a personality after which I would only rename if the
personality changes. For example:

my oldest computer is the IBM PS/ValuePoint 6492X5C 486DX4-100 with 32
MB ram. It started out with 4 MB but it has expanded over the years.
In fact, someone is mailing me more memory for it (I just returned from
a trip and haven't checked mail at the PO yet). While for the same
software, a memory upgrade will enhance the performance (and
personality), gradual memory upgrades over time just keep the
performance even with newer software not being as careful with memory as
older software with no change in personality. Thus the old 486 is as
reliable as ever so is called Reliant. (hard drives don't count; I
suppose I could name my 20+ year old 171MB hard drive "StoneHenge" or
something old like that.

My P-II with 64 MB ram has a defective CPU cooler fan that makes a
rattling sound that sounds like a gravel truck, and is called "rocky".
Also because it is unreliable. I acquired it full of cat hair and
overheated so a new CPU cooler isn't worth it now that the damage is
done. Noisy or not the CPU stays cool now.

My Athlon64 3800+ with 1 GB ram is in the largest case I could find and
considering that it replaced the functionality of the P-II I call it
Titan since its so huge and powerful (160 GB drive space with raid array
compared to 8 GB on a single drive for the P-II).

I haven't named my Palm Zire nor my Sharp Pocket Computer PC-1401 with
4KB of ram (with built-in BASIC).

When I had a separate firewall, my old P75 was called Bulwark. Back
when I did my first networking between the 486 (then called Workstation)
and the P75 (then called Server). How origional!

Finally, my VT520 isn't named either, just VT520. I only have one and
its connected to the first com port of Rocky. Rocky also drives my
un-named Epson dot-matrix LQ-2180.

Doug.