Old 04-17-2008, 10:05 PM
"H.S."

Default keeping track of network throughput (volume, or bandwidth(?) )

NN_il_Confusionario wrote:

On Thu, Apr 17, 2008 at 12:43:30PM -0400, H.S. wrote:
Which tool is best installed on a little machine running as a router to
keep track of the network throughput? I am primarily interested in
keeping track of the network usage on a monthly basis so that I know how
much I have used from my ISP.

bandwidthd

I installed bandwidthd. The router machine I mentioned earlier is an old
Pentium III and I am worried about the disk space the graphs will take
up as time goes by. Any idea how this works out?

Also, as I see it at present, the only way to access the data is to load
index.html from /var/lib/bandwidthd/htdocs/. Is there any other method
to see the throughput, especially from another lan computer?

Finally, any web resource which explains one's way around this application?

thanks,
->HS

ipfm plus a perl script (which is somewhere on the net) to translate
ipfm data (and some data directly found in /proc/) into mrtg graphs

and also others which apt-cache serch can find

Old 04-18-2008, 03:54 AM
NN_il_Confusionario

On Thu, Apr 17, 2008 at 06:05:50PM -0400, H.S. wrote:
> I installed bandwidthd. The router machine I mentioned earlier is an old
> Pentium III and I am worried about the disk space the graphs will take
> up as time goes by. Any idea how this works out?

one possibility is to use a self-made cron job to delete (or tar.bz2 and
then delete) files older than a certain number of days (the info page of
find helps for this)

> Also, as I see it at present, the only way to access the data is to load
> index.html from /var/lib/bandwidthd/htdocs/. Is there any other method
> to see the throughput, especially from another lan computer?

install a minimal web server (dhttpd, thttpd, or many others that
apt-cache can find) and configure it to listen only to the internal
lan adderss and to serve the static html files in
/var/lib/bandwidthd/htdocs/
(with thttpd you can also not-so-securely protect the access with a
password, if needed)

> Finally, any web resource which explains one's way around this application?

/usr/share/doc/bandwidthd/ should contain a reference to the upstream web site