Old 04-17-2008, 07:22 PM
"Bruno Buys"

Default Slow video on debian sid

I don't know exactly when this started, but my debian notebook is slow
on changing screens and programs. I alt+tab to switch programs and the
screen takes a while to rebuild. I mean, its not like its obviously
broken or buggy, but its enough to annoy. I use kde, and noticed
non-kde programs do this more than kde programs. Switching back to
konqueror is ok, switching to iceweasel or icedove takes a moment.
Switching to openoffice does take a moment. Sometimes I release
alt+tab but the window menu list keeps showing in the screen, needs an
extra 'tab' to go away.
System is an updated debian sid, in an Acer 5570z, 1.73GHz Pentium
dual core T2080, 2GB mem. Video card is Intel950, xorg driver is
'intel'. 128MB video memory set in the bios. Its got the 3D accel
working ok, I can do googleearth and compiz, etc. But the real problem
is indeed switching programs. xorg.conf goes below.
Thanks for any input!

bruno@neutron:~$ cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf
# xorg.conf (xorg X Window System server configuration file)
#
# This file was generated by dexconf, the Debian X Configuration tool, using
# values from the debconf database.
#
# Edit this file with caution, and see the xorg.conf manual page.
# (Type "man xorg.conf" at the shell prompt.)
#
# This file is automatically updated on xserver-xorg package upgrades *only*
# if it has not been modified since the last upgrade of the xserver-xorg
# package.
#
# If you have edited this file but would like it to be automatically updated
# again, run the following command:
# sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

Section "Files"
EndSection

Section "Module"

Load "glx"
Load "dri"

EndSection

Section "DRI"

Mode 0666

EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Generic Keyboard"
Driver "kbd"
Option "CoreKeyboard"
Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
Option "XkbModel" "abnt2"
Option "XkbLayout" "br"
Option "XkbVariant" "abnt2"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Configured Mouse"
Driver "mouse"
Option "CorePointer"
Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
Option "Protocol" "ImPS/2"
Option "Emulate3Buttons" "true"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Synaptics Touchpad"
Driver "synaptics"
Option "SendCoreEvents" "true"
Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
Option "Protocol" "auto-dev"
Option "HorizScrollDelta" "0"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "intel950"
Driver "intel"
BusID "PCI:0:2:0"
VideoRam 128000
Option "XAANoOffscreenPixmaps" "true"
Option "AllowGLXWithComposite" "true"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Monitor Generico"
Option "DPMS"
HorizSync 28-84
VertRefresh 43-60

EndSection

#Section "Monitor"
# Identifier "Flatron"
# Option "DPMS"
# HorizSync 30-83
# VertRefresh 56-75
#EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Default Screen"
Device "intel950"
Monitor "Monitor Generico"
# Monitor "Flatron"
DefaultDepth 24
SubSection "Display"
# Modes "1680x1050" "1280x960"
EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "Default Layout"
Screen "Default Screen"
InputDevice "Generic Keyboard"
InputDevice "Configured Mouse"
InputDevice "Synaptics Touchpad"
EndSection

Section "Extensions"
Option "Composite" "Enable"
EndSection

PS:
To comply with the lists rules, I must say I don't subscribe to it.

Old 04-19-2008, 07:49 PM
Florian Kulzer

On Thu, Apr 17, 2008 at 16:22:51 -0300, Bruno Buys wrote:
> I don't know exactly when this started, but my debian notebook is slow
> on changing screens and programs. I alt+tab to switch programs and the
> screen takes a while to rebuild. I mean, its not like its obviously
> broken or buggy, but its enough to annoy. I use kde, and noticed
> non-kde programs do this more than kde programs. Switching back to
> konqueror is ok, switching to iceweasel or icedove takes a moment.
> Switching to openoffice does take a moment. Sometimes I release
> alt+tab but the window menu list keeps showing in the screen, needs an
> extra 'tab' to go away.
> System is an updated debian sid, in an Acer 5570z, 1.73GHz Pentium
> dual core T2080, 2GB mem. Video card is Intel950, xorg driver is
> 'intel'. 128MB video memory set in the bios. Its got the 3D accel
> working ok, I can do googleearth and compiz, etc. But the real problem
> is indeed switching programs. xorg.conf goes below.
> Thanks for any input!
>
> bruno@neutron:~$ cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf

[...]

> Section "Device"
> Identifier "intel950"
> Driver "intel"
> BusID "PCI:0:2:0"
> VideoRam 128000
> Option "XAANoOffscreenPixmaps" "true"
> Option "AllowGLXWithComposite" "true"
> EndSection

Try to add this line to the "Device" section:

Option "AccelMethod" "XAA"

The intel driver started to activate the new acceleration architecture
(EXA) by default a while ago. I have two computers with Intel graphics
(855GM and 965Q, respectively) and for both systems I find that using
XAA (the older acceleration architecture) makes my display redraw
noticeably faster. Maybe it also helps with the 950 chipset.

[...]

> PS:
> To comply with the lists rules, I must say I don't subscribe to it.

(That is fine, of course, but note that you have to state it explicitly
if you want to be CC'd.)

Florian |