-   -   keeping track of network throughput (volume, or bandwidth(?) ) (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/71474-keeping-track-network-throughput-volume-bandwidth.html)

"H.S." 04-17-2008 04:43 PM

keeping track of network throughput (volume, or bandwidth(?) )

Hello,

Which tool is best installed on a little machine running as a router to
keep track of the network throughput? I am primarily interested in
keeping track of the network usage on a monthly basis so that I know how
much I have used from my ISP.

Currently I have ntop installed. However, I am not sure how to see how
much traffic has passed ppp0 from a particular date and time, for
example between 1 of March 2008 and 1 of April 2008.

Suggestions?

The said machine is running Debian Lenny. I use it to connect to an ADSL
modem via a ppp0 interface (ADSL modem connects to eth0 of this router
computer) all my home computers connect to that machine via a switch
connected to eth1 of the router machine.

thanks,
->HS

NN_il_Confusionario 04-17-2008 07:58 PM

On Thu, Apr 17, 2008 at 12:43:30PM -0400, H.S. wrote:
> Which tool is best installed on a little machine running as a router to
> keep track of the network throughput? I am primarily interested in
> keeping track of the network usage on a monthly basis so that I know how
> much I have used from my ISP.

bandwidthd

ipfm plus a perl script (which is somewhere on the net) to translate
ipfm data (and some data directly found in /proc/) into mrtg graphs

and also others which apt-cache serch can find

Michael Shuler 04-17-2008 08:15 PM

keeping track of network throughput (volume, or bandwidth(?) )

Which tool is best installed on a little machine running as a router to
keep track of the network throughput? I am primarily interested in
keeping track of the network usage on a monthly basis so that I know how
much I have used from my ISP.

Munin might work nicely for this information, and is very simple to
customize.

--
Kind Regards,
Michael Shuler