Old 04-17-2008, 03:33 PM
Frank

Default CD burning stopped working

Running Sid/Lenny -- after recent updates, CD burning on my machine has
stopped working.
Normaly I use Gnomebaker...I have reinstalled it and wodim but that was
not a solution.

The script burn-cd gives me this:

frank@debian:~$ burn-cd -i
* Checking programs... [ok]
mkisofs: version 2.01
cdrecord: version 2.01.01a03-dvd
isoinfo: version 1.1.7.1
growisofs: version 7.1
* Looking for a disk in drive... [unknown]
Device: /dev/hdc
wodim: Operation not permitted. Warning: Cannot raise RLIMIT_MEMLOCK
limits.scsidev: '/dev/hdc' devname: '/dev/hdc'
scsibus: -2 target: -2 lun: -2
wodim: Permission denied.
Cannot open SCSI driver!
For possible targets try 'wodim --devices' or 'wodim -scanbus'.
For possible transport specifiers try 'wodim dev=help'.
For IDE/ATAPI devices configuration, see the file README.ATAPI.setup from
the wodim documentation.
TOC Type: 1 = CD-ROM

Using Wodim to check the config doesn't work as a user...but does work as
root.

frank@debian:~$ wodim --devices
wodim: No such file or directory.
Cannot open SCSI driver!
For possible targets try 'wodim --devices' or 'wodim -scanbus'.
For possible transport specifiers try 'wodim dev=help'.
For IDE/ATAPI devices configuration, see the file README.ATAPI.setup from
the wodim documentation.
frank@debian:~$ sudo wodim --devices
wodim: Overview of accessible drives (2 found) :
0 dev='/dev/hdc' rwrw-- : 'BENQ' 'CDRW 5232X'
1 dev='/dev/hdd' rwrw-- : 'HL-DT-ST' 'DVD-ROM GDR8162B'
frank@debian:~$ sudo wodim -scanbus
scsibus1000:
1000,0,0 100000) *
1000,1,0 100001) *
1000,2,0 100002) 'BENQ ' 'CDRW 5232X ' 'KPBY' Removable
CD-ROM 1000,3,0 100003) 'HL-DT-ST' 'DVD-ROM GDR8162B' '0015' Removable
CD-ROM 1000,4,0 100004) *
1000,5,0 100005) *
1000,6,0 100006) *
1000,7,0 100007) *
frank@debian:~$

It appears permissions are at the root of the problem...but the only
things that has changed lately are the updates on Sid...and the
installation of the package SANE for my new scanner.

Does anybody have any idea what is going on??

Frank

--

Change the world one loan at a time - visit Kiva.org to find out how

Old 04-17-2008, 04:17 PM
"Mumia W.."

[...]

My experience has always been that both cdrecord and wodim need to be
suid-root. The wodim manual page supports this too.

Probably you had previously made wodim suid-root, but that was lost when
wodim was upgraded. Use 'dpkg-statoverride' to permanently set the suid
flag for wodim.