Old 04-17-2008, 02:18 PM
Paul Cartwright

Default insert USB stick, Debian crash

I formatted a 2 Gb USB stick and installed a bootable version of puppy linux
on it. It can be read by even a windows PC, it is formatted vfat ( I think).
When I insert that stick into my Debian Etch computer, the computer reboots.
Once it comes back up, it reads the USB stick as /dev/sdb. Why does it make
my PC crash and what can I do to stop it from doing that.

--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800

Old 04-17-2008, 09:38 PM
Ron Johnson

Old 04-18-2008, 02:31 AM
Andrew Sackville-West

On Thu, Apr 17, 2008 at 10:18:06AM -0400, Paul Cartwright wrote:
> I formatted a 2 Gb USB stick and installed a bootable version of puppy linux
> on it. It can be read by even a windows PC, it is formatted vfat ( I think).
> When I insert that stick into my Debian Etch computer, the computer reboots.
> Once it comes back up, it reads the USB stick as /dev/sdb. Why does it make
> my PC crash and what can I do to stop it from doing that.

Is the system somehow trying to execute programs on that stick?

Old 04-18-2008, 08:25 AM
Raj Kiran Grandhi

Paul Cartwright wrote:
I formatted a 2 Gb USB stick and installed a bootable version of puppy linux
on it. It can be read by even a windows PC, it is formatted vfat ( I think).
When I insert that stick into my Debian Etch computer, the computer reboots.
Once it comes back up, it reads the USB stick as /dev/sdb. Why does it make
my PC crash and what can I do to stop it from doing that.

Could it be a hardware problem? Try inserting the usb stick into
different ports and see. Also try a different usb stick dd'd from the
troublesome one.

--
Raj Kiran Grandhi

Old 04-18-2008, 12:06 PM
Paul Cartwright

On Thu April 17 2008, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> > I formatted a 2 Gb USB stick and installed a bootable version of puppy
> > linux on it. It can be read by even a windows PC, it is formatted vfat (
> > I think). When I insert that stick into my Debian Etch computer, the
> > computer reboots. Once it comes back up, it reads the USB stick as
> > /dev/sdb. Why does it make my PC crash and what can I do to stop it from
> > doing that.
>
> Is the system somehow trying to execute programs on that stick?

It is bootable, it does have puppy linux on it, but it also contains files
that I transfer around..

Old 04-18-2008, 12:08 PM
Paul Cartwright

On Fri April 18 2008, Raj Kiran Grandhi wrote:
> Could it be a hardware problem? Try inserting the usb stick into
> different ports and see. Also try a different usb stick dd'd from the
> troublesome one.

the only other stick I have is a 2Gb Sandisk cruiser with U3 technology. I
don't want to wipe it out..
I can try a different port.

Old 04-18-2008, 03:12 PM
Andrew Sackville-West

On Fri, Apr 18, 2008 at 08:06:04AM -0400, Paul Cartwright wrote:
> On Thu April 17 2008, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> > > I formatted a 2 Gb USB stick and installed a bootable version of puppy
> > > linux on it. It can be read by even a windows PC, it is formatted vfat (
> > > I think). When I insert that stick into my Debian Etch computer, the
> > > computer reboots. Once it comes back up, it reads the USB stick as
> > > /dev/sdb. Why does it make my PC crash and what can I do to stop it from
> > > doing that.
> >
> > Is the system somehow trying to execute programs on that stick?

> It is bootable, it does have puppy linux on it, but it also contains files
> that I transfer around..

right. some people running gnome (maybe kde, I don't know) will set
the system to auto-open new media when it's inserted, perhaps that is
what causes this problem. Can you ssh in from another box, tail -f
/var/log/syslog and watch it go down?

Old 04-18-2008, 04:50 PM
Paul Cartwright

On Fri April 18 2008, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> > It is bootable, it does have puppy linux on it, but it also contains
> > files that I transfer around..
>
> right. some people running gnome (maybe kde, I don't know) will set
> the system to auto-open new media when it's inserted, perhaps that is
> what causes this problem. Can you ssh in from another box, tail -f
> /var/log/syslog and watch it go down?

I might be able to do that.. my KDE normally asks me what I want to do with
inserted media. With my camera I tell it to open in Konqueror, with CDs
normally I tell it to do nothing, since K3B takes care of it.... so it is NOT
set to auto-open.