-   -   Another OT: GRUB location on Dual-Boot with TWO hard drives (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/712590-another-ot-grub-location-dual-boot-two-hard-drives.html)

Ralf Mardorf 10-15-2012 08:11 PM

Another OT: GRUB location on Dual-Boot with TWO hard drives

I won't confuse you Wally, or spread FUD, using the default GRUB seems
to be the best way for a beginner, because it's the default boot loader
for most distros.

Personally I prefer GRUB legacy, the outdated, completely different
predecessor of the current GRUB. IMO it's much easier to use. Many
experienced users didn't switch back to GRUB legacy, as I did, but
switched to Syslinux.

You shouldn't take care about other bootloaders at the moment. If you
should stay with Linux, you might have needs that make your live easier,
if you're using another bootloader in the future.

Wally Lepore 10-15-2012 08:31 PM

Another OT: GRUB location on Dual-Boot with TWO hard drives

On Mon, Oct 15, 2012 at 4:11 PM, Ralf Mardorf
<ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net> wrote:
> I won't confuse you Wally, or spread FUD, using the default GRUB seems
> to be the best way for a beginner, because it's the default boot loader
> for most distros.
>
> Personally I prefer GRUB legacy, the outdated, completely different
> predecessor of the current GRUB. IMO it's much easier to use. Many
> experienced users didn't switch back to GRUB legacy, as I did, but
> switched to Syslinux.
>
> You shouldn't take care about other bootloaders at the moment. If you
> should stay with Linux, you might have needs that make your live easier,
> if you're using another bootloader in the future.

Hi Ralf,

That's good to know. Thank you. You are very helpful. I will stay with
Linux (of course). I'm just trying to find my way around as a
beginner. I'm not looking to upgrade to anything right now although
your background supplied on GRUB was very interesting to read and
understand.

I'm just looking to learn the tools that installed with the debian
distro. After I master them then I will consider moving on to other
tools, desktops whatever (if it ever decide). But that's way off in
the future ;-)

Appreciate the concern and help.

Be well
Wally

Ralf Mardorf 10-15-2012 09:19 PM

Another OT: GRUB location on Dual-Boot with TWO hard drives

Assumed that you are not blind, perhaps a YouTube video will help you to
learn faste, resp. it might better explain how to e.g. become root in a
terminal emulation.

Wally Lepore 10-15-2012 09:24 PM

Another OT: GRUB location on Dual-Boot with TWO hard drives

On Mon, Oct 15, 2012 at 5:19 PM, Ralf Mardorf
<ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net> wrote:
> Assumed that you are not blind, perhaps a YouTube video will help you to
> learn faste, resp. it might better explain how to e.g. become root in a
> terminal emulation.

Yes, I will search youtube. Thank you

Ralf Mardorf 10-15-2012 09:36 PM

On Mon, 2012-10-15 at 17:24 -0400, Wally Lepore wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 15, 2012 at 5:19 PM, Ralf Mardorf
> <ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net> wrote:
> > Assumed that you are not blind, perhaps a YouTube video will help you to
> > learn faste, resp. it might better explain how to e.g. become root in a
> > terminal emulation.
> >

> Yes, I will search youtube. Thank you

Please watch a video and then let's try to solve your GRUB issue. We
shouldn't discuss LVM yet. Apologize that I mentioned that.

Neal Murphy 10-15-2012 09:56 PM

On Monday, October 15, 2012 05:19:29 PM Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> Assumed that you are not blind, perhaps a YouTube video will help you to

> learn faste, resp. it might better explain how to e.g. become root in a

> terminal emulation.

*

Or, perhaps, a simple list of ways to become root without any clutter.

*

Log in as root on a console, and return to the GUI:

Type <SHIFT><ALT><F1> through <SHIFT><ALT><F6> to get to a console

Log in as root

Log out (typically using <CTRL/D> or exit)

Type <SHIFT><ALT><F7> to return to your GUI. (It usually runs on virt.

cons. 7, but sometimes on VC6 or VC8).

*

Become root in the current directory:

su

su root

sudo su

sudo su root

sudo /bin/bash

*

Execute a command as root:

su -c "/sbin/sbin-command with options and args"

su root -c "/sbin/sbin-command with options and args"

sudo /sbin/sbin-command with options and args

sudo -u root /sbin/sbin-command with options and args

*

Become root as though root had logged in on the terminal (or text console);

this give you root's PATH and other ENV settings and puts you in root's home dir:

su -

su - root

sudo su -

sudo su - root

sudo /bin/bash -l # Except this one leaves you in the current dir

*

Execute a command in root's environment:

su - -c "/sbin/sbin-command with options and args"

su - root -c "/sbin/sbin-command with options and args"

sudo su - -c "/sbin/sbin-command with options and args"

sudo su - root -c "/sbin/sbin-command with options and args"

*

Notes:

- Su will always ask for the target user's password unless you are

already root.

- Sudo (on most modern GNU/Linux dostros) will ask for the user's

password instead of root's password.

- Having su run a command (or having sudo run a command other than su)

can be insecure (but it is not necessarily so)

- Some distros will install only sudo by default.

*

For security purposes (partly because the X11 protocols can be insecure), most GNU/Linux distros do not allow root to log in to the GUI.

*

To learn more, 'man su', 'man sudo', and/or 'man bash'.

Wally Lepore 10-15-2012 10:13 PM

Another OT: GRUB location on Dual-Boot with TWO hard drives

On Mon, Oct 15, 2012 at 5:36 PM, Ralf Mardorf
<ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 2012-10-15 at 17:24 -0400, Wally Lepore wrote:
>> On Mon, Oct 15, 2012 at 5:19 PM, Ralf Mardorf
>> <ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net> wrote:
>> > Assumed that you are not blind, perhaps a YouTube video will help you to
>> > learn faste, resp. it might better explain how to e.g. become root in a
>> > terminal emulation.
>> >

>> Yes, I will search youtube. Thank you
>
> Please watch a video and then let's try to solve your GRUB issue. We
> shouldn't discuss LVM yet. Apologize that I mentioned that.

No problem Ralf. Your suggestion is a good idea.
Thank you

Ralf Mardorf 10-15-2012 10:14 PM

Another OT: GRUB location on Dual-Boot with TWO hard drives

@Neal (really at Neal, not at Wally): We already confused Wally. Let's
avoid sudo, since sudo can be set up in various ways and IIRC a default
Debian comes without sudo.

At the moment it's only important to explain that we don't login as root
by a display manager, in the OP's case it for sure is GDM. I guess on
Windows it's possible to log in as admin or user.

The OP needs to understand that we open a terminal emulation and then
run a command, let's reduce it to "su" and/or "su -" to become root for
the commands that we use with this terminal emulation.

Ctrl+Alt+Fx is also not good. We should explain, step by step to use a
terminal emulation. The OP perhaps want to be able to copy a command
from an Internet browser to the terminal emulation. Ctrl+Alt+Fx isn't
useful for this usage. Apropos copy and paste not only when using a
terminal emulation ... we shouldn't overcharge the OP with all kinds off
shortcuts, but explain to use menus and right click.

For the terminal, we should explain the tab key.

Ralf Mardorf 10-15-2012 10:23 PM

Another OT: GRUB location on Dual-Boot with TWO hard drives

Wally, are you familiar with MS DOS or DR DOS commands?

Ralf Mardorf 10-15-2012 10:27 PM

Another OT: GRUB location on Dual-Boot with TWO hard drives

> Wally, are you familiar with MS DOS or DR DOS commands?

PS: Or have you ever used a QL, C64 or similar computer?