Old 10-15-2012, 10:58 PM
Wally Lepore

Default Another OT: GRUB location on Dual-Boot with TWO hard drives

On Mon, Oct 15, 2012 at 6:23 PM, Ralf Mardorf
<ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net> wrote:
> Wally, are you familiar with MS DOS or DR DOS commands?

Hi Ralf,

Yes but only the most basic. As I started on this whole linux
adventure I dusted off my DOS 6.0 / 6.2 books that have been sitting
on my book shelf since the mid 1990's. I had to re-learn some commands
because about a month ago I wanted to first learn how to verify the
Debain netinst file using MD5SUM and SHA-1 in console mode.

I could down load programs all day long to have file verification done
automatically for me in windows but I wanted to learn it in console
mode since most Linux work accomplished in console, terminal, command
prompt or whatever else it may be called.

It was a struggle initially but I learned. It was my first real
progress with certain things that needed to be done with Linux. I had
no idea that files needed to be verified before burning to CD. Then
again, I never downloaded a 700 MB file. I eventually learned about
the whole process. Thus my Debian netinst file was verified.

Ubuntu was my first attempt at installing Linux. It never loaded. Long
story. The liveCD worked fine on my system but someone eventually
suggested I try a different distro. I had no idea what "distro" even
referred to at the time. Had to learn it all. I was floored when I
visited wikipedia's page titled "Linux Distribution". There is a chart
on that page that shows all the distos that fork off the three main
dsitributions (Debian, Fedora and Slackware). There were many
distributions to choose from. Just amazing!

I soon discovered (after intense study) that objective was best served
with Debian. The support and available tools and packages are amazing.
Also I prefer to learn Linux from a developer/programmers perspective
thus my objective is somewhat different than most.

To answer your question, yes, I am familiar with some DOS commands and
have access to many books on the subject.

Thanks Ralf

Old 10-15-2012, 11:17 PM
Wally Lepore

On Mon, Oct 15, 2012 at 6:27 PM, Ralf Mardorf
<ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net> wrote:

>> Wally, are you familiar with MS DOS or DR DOS commands?
>
> PS: Or have you ever used a QL, C64 or similar computer?

I have no idea what QL, or a C64 is prior to googling.

Is this QL ?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinclair_QL
http://www.rwapadventures.com/ql_wiki/

C64 ?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commodore_64

I've been in the banking and investment industry since 1985 and have
used terminals that contained either database info or live stock
quotes. Other than that, I've been on windows ever since 3.1 hit the
market.

Why the question please?

Old 10-16-2012, 03:30 AM
Ralf Mardorf

On Mon, 2012-10-15 at 18:58 -0400, Wally Lepore wrote:
> I am familiar with some DOS commands

The commands are simmilar, e.g.

DOS | LINUX
----+------
CD | cd
MD | mkdir

The Linux terminal can help you, when using the Tab-key.
Just type a character or some characters and then the Tab-key.

[spinymouse@archlinux ~]$ m
Display all 214 possibilities? (y or n)
[spinymouse@archlinux ~]$ md
md5pass md5sum mdadm mdassemble mdel mdeltree
mdir mdmon mdu
[spinymouse@archlinux ~]$ mk
mk_cmds mkdfa.pl mkfs mkfs.jfs
mkinitcpio mkswap
mk_isdnhwdb mkdir mkfs.bfs mkfs.minix
mkisofs mktemp
mkbingram mkdiskimage mkfs.btrfs mkfs.nilfs2
mklost+found mkzonedb
mkbinhmm mke2fs mkfs.cramfs mkfs.reiserfs
mkmanifest
mkbinhmmexe mkfa mkfs.ext2 mkfs.xfs
mknod
mkbinhmmlist mkfifo mkfs.ext3 mkgshmm
mkreiserfs
mkbinhmmlistexe mkfontdir mkfs.ext4 mkhomedir_helper
mkrfc2734
mkcp mkfontscale mkfs.ext4dev mkhybrid
mkss

The Tab-key also auto-complete passes.

[spinymouse@archlinux ~]$ cd /usr/src/
#linux-rt/ qtractor/
adhoc
qtractor_de.ts.bak-00001
google-earth/
qtractor_de.ts.bak-00002
julius/
qtractor_de.ts.bak-empty
ld-lsb/
rtl8192se_linux_2.6.0010.1012.2009.tar.gz
linux-3.4.11-rt19-1-rt/
rtl8712_8188_8191_8192SU_usb_linux_v2.6.6.0.201104 01/
linux-3.6.2-1-ARCH/ set-archlinux-1
linux-rt.tar.gz simon/
menulibre/ vboxhost-4.2.0/
muse2/
virtualbox-ext-oracle/
newlan.tar.gz virtualbox-hook/
pulseaudio-dummy/ xaralx/
[spinymouse@archlinux ~]$ cd /usr/src/mu

+ Tab =

[spinymouse@archlinux ~]$ cd /usr/src/muse2/

You can add aliases to a file in your home folder, on Suse I added

alias cpu-o="su -c"cpufreq-set -gondemand""
alias cpu-p="su -c"cpufreq-set -gperformance""

it's also possible to name Linux commands by aliases like DOS commands.