-   -   OT: GRUB location on Dual-Boot with TWO hard drives (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/712567-ot-grub-location-dual-boot-two-hard-drives.html)

Ralf Mardorf 10-15-2012 07:54 PM

On Mon, 2012-10-15 at 13:51 -0400, Wally Lepore wrote:
> Hi Lisi, Brian, Lee, Joe, Neal, Dom, and Ralf, [snip]

Since you've got knowledge about computers, it will be easy for you to
switch to Linux. You should take a look at "shell globbing" and take a
look at some beginners guide for "shell scripts". To handle Debian
packages by a GUI I recommend to use Synaptic.

There are three easy to remember shell commands that are very helpful:

top
killall -9 NAME_OF_AN_APPLICATION
hwinfo

Instead of top there are derivatives of top you might prefer and instead
of hwinfo there are different other useful commands, but IMO top and
hwinfo are very helpful for a beginner, I'm still using them today.
killall -9, perhaps with some additional switches is a command that's
important for every user.

Assumed something wicked does happen, run top, it might show you what
happens. If there for example is a process busy, can't be stopped
anymore, a killall -9 NAME most of the times will finish it.

hwinfo gives information about hardware.

You also should take a look at "common linux shortcuts" some are equal
to Windows others are for Linux only.

COMMAND_NAME -h or --help

and

man COMMAND_NAME

does show information, but can be cryptic for beginners. Getting good
results for Internet investigations and understanding --help and
man(pages) given time will become easy for you too.

You should find an editor you like, that can be used without a GUI. IMO
the easiest editor is mcedit, I was a vi(m) user in the past, but
switched to mcedit a while ago.

Regards,
Ralf

Linux-Fan 10-15-2012 09:09 PM

On 10/15/2012 10:25 PM, Wally Lepore wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 15, 2012 at 3:54 PM, Ralf Mardorf
> <ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net> wrote:
>> On Mon, 2012-10-15 at 13:51 -0400, Wally Lepore wrote:
>>> Hi Lisi, Brian, Lee, Joe, Neal, Dom, and Ralf, [snip]
>>
>> Since you've got knowledge about computers, it will be easy for you to
>> switch to Linux. You should take a look at "shell globbing" and take a
>> look at some beginners guide for "shell scripts". To handle Debian
>> packages by a GUI I recommend to use Synaptic.
>>
>> There are three easy to remember shell commands that are very helpful:
>>
>> top
>> killall -9 NAME_OF_AN_APPLICATION
>> hwinfo
>>
>> Instead of top there are derivatives of top you might prefer and instead
>> of hwinfo there are different other useful commands, but IMO top and
>> hwinfo are very helpful for a beginner, I'm still using them today.
>> killall -9, perhaps with some additional switches is a command that's
>> important for every user.
>>
>> Assumed something wicked does happen, run top, it might show you what
>> happens. If there for example is a process busy, can't be stopped
>> anymore, a killall -9 NAME most of the times will finish it.
>>
>> hwinfo gives information about hardware.
>>
>> You also should take a look at "common linux shortcuts" some are equal
>> to Windows others are for Linux only.
>>
>> COMMAND_NAME -h or --help
>>
>> and
>>
>> man COMMAND_NAME
>>
>> does show information, but can be cryptic for beginners. Getting good
>> results for Internet investigations and understanding --help and
>> man(pages) given time will become easy for you too.
>>
>> You should find an editor you like, that can be used without a GUI. IMO
>> the easiest editor is mcedit, I was a vi(m) user in the past, but
>> switched to mcedit a while ago.
> Hi Ralf,
>
> That was very useful. Thank you very much. But I'm still stuck on
> where to start. Are you saying that all these commands are used
> strictly in "Terminal"?
>
> Also, I'm still searching for how to log in as 'root' to fix my GRUB
> menu boot. Grub is not recognizing my windows 2000 drive in a
> dual-boot configuration set-up.
>
> Thank you

On Linux you actually almost NEVER need to log-in as root. Instead you
open a terminal with your GUI (while being logged in as normal user) and
then BECOME root by issuing "su" and entering your root password. The
shell will then be a "root-shell" -- all commands you enter there will
automatically be executed as root.

All of the commands suggested and the "fdisk -l" are to be entered in a
terminal. Some of these (like fdisk -l) need you to be root in order to
work correctly. (On my system fidsk -l as non-root does not prodocue any
output).

If you really want to log in as root (although it is not required,
especially in your case) you can go to a virtual terminal via
[CTRL]-[ALT]-[F2] and log in for a command-line only session (you may
return to your graphical environment via [CTRL]-[ALT]-[F7]).

But most of this has already been suggested... you only need to find it
in the various mails you got for reply.

Ralf Mardorf 10-15-2012 09:16 PM

On Mon, 2012-10-15 at 16:25 -0400, Wally Lepore wrote:
> Are you saying that all these commands are used
> strictly in "Terminal"?

For the moment my answer is YES to avoid confusion.