-   -   Creative /etc/X11/xorg.conf (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/712534-creative-etc-x11-xorg-conf.html)

Charles Kroeger 10-15-2012 05:41 PM

Creative /etc/X11/xorg.conf

For those of you running nouveau as your video driver with the gnome desktop you
wont know about the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file but for all us others there is
considerable latitude for creativity in this file and its results on one's X11
desktop. Take for instance Mark Allums in a letter of the 1st Oct, 2012 where he
says:

>Anyway, what you are looking for is in its own package, named, oddly
>enough, nvidia-xconfig.

If you had created you own X11.conf file before, this package will create another
one considerably fancier different and cryptic from yours.

However after trying this package, and applying the file it created to my system,
everything worked well until I tried to use any of my non-free software namely
spotify and softmaker-office. At that point there would a seg-fault and not one of
those simple ones where the program flashes in front of you before disappearing,
this was instead the seg-fault from hell removing themselves from the screen
and killing the x-server and destroying keyboard communication. There wasn't even a
terminal after the X-session ended. The only solution was to punch out like the old
windows days.

I mention this because a seg-fault from any software I've used on Debian has never
done this before. So..my question might be are the coders of nvidia-xconfig some
kind of debian talaban who have created this to react to non-free software or was
that just a coincidence? Since nvidia itself it non-free software that seems
unlikely.

Here's the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file created by the package: nvidia-xconfig:

# nvidia-xconfig: X configuration file generated by nvidia-xconfig
# nvidia-xconfig: version 304.48 (pbuilder@cake) Wed Sep 12 10:54:51 UTC 2012

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "Layout0"
Screen 0 "Screen0"
InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
InputDevice "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "Files"
FontPath "unix/:7100"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
# generated from default
Identifier "Mouse0"
Driver "mouse"
Option "Protocol" "auto"
Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
Option "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
# generated from default
Identifier "Keyboard0"
Driver "kbd"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Monitor0"
VendorName "Samsung"
ModelName "SyncMaster215TW"
HorizSync 28.0 - 33.0
VertRefresh 43.0 - 72.0
Option "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Device0"
Driver "nvidia"
VendorName "NVIDIA Corporation"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "Device0"
Monitor "Monitor0"
DefaultDepth 24
SubSection "Display"
Depth 24
EndSubSection
EndSection

Can anyone see anything in this file that would blow up your computer?

By restoring my old /etc/X11/xorg.conf file to the fore, all was harmonious again.
I did not post my own /etc/X11/xorg.conf file because of its humble appearance
compared to this one created by nvidia-xconfig.

--
CK

Ralf Mardorf 10-15-2012 07:19 PM

Creative /etc/X11/xorg.conf

On Mon, 2012-10-15 at 12:41 -0500, Charles Kroeger wrote:

> Section "Files"

redundant

> Section "InputDevice"

redundant

> HorizSync 28.0 - 33.0
> VertRefresh 43.0 - 72.0

Unlikely that this frequencies would be that high, that they literally
could blow up expensive monitor transistors ;). I suspect those settings
likely to be to low for most monitors and yes, perhaps this will cause
some errors.

Btw. I can't see anything cryptic in the xorg.conf you posted.

Currently there are a lot of changes for X upstream. because I use
different distros I again switched the graphics and regarding to the
distro I've got working and not working xorg.confs.

I would like to know a distro with a LTS version for X ;). Many distros
still support 2.6 kernels as LTS packages, but AFAIK no distro really
does support a LTS version for X. Yep, Arch for example does support
different repositories for X, but a user anyway can't simply mix the
regular repositories with those special X repositories without manually
fixing many issues.

Regards,
Ralf

Slavko 10-15-2012 07:24 PM

Creative /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Hi,

D┼ła Mon, 15 Oct 2012 12:41:53 -0500 Charles Kroeger
<ckrogrr@frankensteinface.com> nap├*sal:

> By restoring my old /etc/X11/xorg.conf file to the fore, all was
> harmonious again. I did not post my own /etc/X11/xorg.conf file
> because of its humble appearance compared to this one created by
> nvidia-xconfig.

By my knowledge, the nvidia-config creates outdated xorg.conf a long
time ago and i never really used it for this, but only as inspiration (i
am using the different nvidia cards for some years on more computers):

In wheeze i have two files under /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d directory, with
these settings:

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "Layout0"
Screen 0 "Screen0" 0 0
Option "Xinerama" "0"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Monitor0"
VendorName "Acer"
ModelName "ACER X233H"
HorizSync 30.0 - 83.0
VertRefresh 56.0 - 75.0
Option "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Monitor1"
VendorName "Neovo"
ModelName "Arnos Instruments F-417"
HorizSync 24.0 - 80.0
VertRefresh 49.0 - 75.0
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "Device0"
Monitor "Monitor0"
Option "TwinView" "1"
Option "TwinViewXineramaInfoOrder" "CRT-0"
Option "MetaModes" "CRT-0: nvidia-auto-select +1280+0, CRT-1: nvidia-auto-select +0+0; CRT-0: nvidia-auto-select +0+0, CRT-1: NULL; CRT-0: NULL, CRT-1: nvidia-auto-select +0+0"
DefaultDepth 24
SubSection "Display"
Depth 24
EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Device0"
Driver "nvidia"
VendorName "NVIDIA Corporation"
BoardName "GeForce 210"
Option "NoLogo" "True"

# povo─żuje rot├íciu
# Option "RandRRotation" "True"
EndSection

I am using the nvidia's TwinView for my two monitors and this
configuration is separated into 10-monitor.conf and 20-device.conf
file (not necessary).

This configuration is untouched from July 2011 (from ctimes).

regards

--
Slavko
http://slavino.sk