-   -   Reason to NOT install from online repositories (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/712475-reason-not-install-online-repositories.html)

Richard Owlett 10-15-2012 03:41 PM

Reason to NOT install from online repositories

Recently someone was chided for attempting installation from
a CD.

Not all of us have convenient access to a high speed
internet connection.

I can have limited access to "high" speed access by carrying
one of my laptops to the local library. I don't find
downloading more than a live-CD feasible due to bandwidth
limits they set to provide maximum usage for maximum number
of users.

Even the live-CD doesn't give me a functioning system as it
does not include a dialer for an analog modem. I solved
_*MY*_ problem by purchasing the 8 DVD set of install disks.

Archive: 507C2E9C.6050708@cloud85.net">http://lists.debian.org/507C2E9C.6050708@cloud85.net

Darac Marjal 10-15-2012 03:51 PM

On Mon, Oct 15, 2012 at 10:41:16AM -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:
> Recently someone was chided for attempting installation from a CD.
>
> Not all of us have convenient access to a high speed internet
> connection.

I don't believe they were chided, simply reminded that the best way to
get packages is usually direct from the repositories.

As you note, there are use-cases for the CDs, which is why they exist.
For example, I have installed debian on an air-gapped system (that is, a
server which is not and will never be connected to the internet). My
only option in that case was to download DVDs and use them.

Karen Lewellen 10-15-2012 03:53 PM

Reason to NOT install from online repositories

I must agree.
There can be many barriers to installing or upgrading from on line sources.
I will solve *my* own situation later by using the DVD images I have even if
slightly behind. I want stable squeeze anyway.

Karen

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/507C2E9C.6050708@cloud85.net

Archive: Pine.BSF.4.64.1210151150001.45975@server1.shellwor ld.net">http://lists.debian.org/Pine.BSF.4.64.1210151150001.45975@server1.shellwor ld.net

Brad Rogers 10-15-2012 04:15 PM

Reason to NOT install from online repositories

On Mon, 15 Oct 2012 10:41:16 -0500
Richard Owlett <rowlett@cloud85.net> wrote:

Hello Richard,

>Recently someone was chided for attempting installation from
>a CD.

That's putting it strong; I asked why they wanted to use the CD/DVD
method rather than online repos out of curiosity. The answer came back -
lack of connectivity. A perfectly valid reason.

--
Regards _
/ ) "The blindingly obvious is

Richard Owlett 10-15-2012 04:16 PM

Darac Marjal wrote:

Recently someone was chided for attempting installation from a CD.

Not all of us have convenient access to a high speed internet
connection.

I don't believe they were chided, simply reminded that the best way to
get packages is usually direct from the repositories.

OK, maybe I was reading into it some comments I've received
having asked for help to do things in a very non-standard way.
Friends who've known me for >40 years still wonder about my
logic ;)

Archive: 507C36C3.8040104@cloud85.net">http://lists.debian.org/507C36C3.8040104@cloud85.net

Stan Hoeppner 10-15-2012 04:27 PM

On 10/15/2012 10:41 AM, Richard Owlett wrote:
> Recently someone was chided for attempting installation from a CD.
>
> Not all of us have convenient access to a high speed internet connection.
>
> I can have limited access to "high" speed access by carrying one of my
> laptops to the local library. I don't find downloading more than a
> live-CD feasible due to bandwidth limits they set to provide maximum
> usage for maximum number of users.
>
> Even the live-CD doesn't give me a functioning system as it does not
> include a dialer for an analog modem. I solved _*MY*_ problem by
> purchasing the 8 DVD set of install disks.

You must be using a totally free dialup service for daily internet
access. In many/most US locales dial is as expensive, if not more
expensive, than aDSL or cable, though I'm not familiar with the
providers and plans in Springfield. You mention "carrying" your laptop
to the local library, not "driving". Can we assume you're walking to
the library, live in the city limits, not on a farm or other rural
location outside of Springfield?

How far are you from the MSU campus? If it's not a prohibitive
distance, it might be worth explaining your situation to someone in the
MSU telecommunications department and see if you can get a guest access
account. Then stop by every couple of weeks to download your Debian and
other updates, and anything "big" you need, etc. I'd assume there won't
be any bandwidth limits.

Also, it's possible they might be running a local non-public Debian
mirror in the Engineering or Computer Science departments. (Many
universities and colleges host private mirrors of popular open source
software repos to conserve bandwidth on their public pipe) If so you
might get permission to pull directly from such mirrors.

Just some suggestions from a fellow Missourian, though a couple hundred
miles to the North.

--
Stan

John Hasler 10-15-2012 04:54 PM

Stan Hoeppner writes:
> You must be using a totally free dialup service for daily internet
> access. In many/most US locales dial is as expensive, if not more
> expensive, than aDSL or cable...

In many it is much cheaper (here, for example). In some broadband is
not available at all.
--
John Hasler

Richard Owlett 10-15-2012 05:42 PM

Stan Hoeppner wrote:

[...]

It's paid service and is less than the teaser rates quoted
by either ATT or the locale cable outfit. To even get the
"teaser rate" from either source I'd have to bundle in a
bunch of unwanted services. Effectively, the last time I did
a head to head comparison, I was saving more than $40 a
month. Besides this way way I can drive a couple of miles
and see the *owner* of my ISP. I get very good customer
service. Besides any DSL only became available in this area
of the city a few years ago. I'm literally on the "wrong
side of the tracks". This area was built up ~110-120 years
ago for laborers in the local rail yard. Though well within
the city limits, I'm not within walking distance of a library.

How far are you from the MSU campus? If it's not a prohibitive
distance, it might be worth explaining your situation to someone in the
MSU telecommunications department and see if you can get a guest access
account. Then stop by every couple of weeks to download your Debian and
other updates, and anything "big" you need, etc. I'd assume there won't
be any bandwidth limits.

Depending on which route, I might drive past MSU on way to
library. But though I don't doubt it meets ADA requirements,
I'd not consider that campus to be handicapped friendly.
Once I get my system(s) set up the way I want, using the
library will likely be adequate.

Also, it's possible they might be running a local non-public Debian
mirror in the Engineering or Computer Science departments. (Many
universities and colleges host private mirrors of popular open source
software repos to conserve bandwidth on their public pipe) If so you
might get permission to pull directly from such mirrors.

Just some suggestions from a fellow Missourian, though a couple hundred
miles to the North.

Know of any Linux groups within driving distance of
Springfield? ICON, a local computer group, has a very small
Linux SIG. That's all I'm aware of.

Archive: 507C4AEE.7010301@cloud85.net">http://lists.debian.org/507C4AEE.7010301@cloud85.net

Charles Kroeger 10-15-2012 05:54 PM

Reason to NOT install from online repositories

On Mon, 15 Oct 2012 17:50:02 +0200
Richard Owlett <rowlett@cloud85.net> wrote:

> Not all of us have convenient access to a high speed
> internet connection.

Back in the day I used to download a version of Debian over a 56K modem (that rarely
achieved those speeds) I used to set it to downloading around midnight and get up
the next morning and it was usually finished or almost and if it had stopped in the
night I just restarted at that point, but it did get done and the ISP didn't
complain.

Of course I don't know what kind of data transfer restrictions you may be subject to
if any but patience is still free.

--
CK

songbird 10-15-2012 08:24 PM

Richard Owlett wrote:

> Not all of us have convenient access to a high speed
> internet connection.

yep, same here, Dialup... which is a real
step down from DSL.

> I can have limited access to "high" speed access by carrying
> one of my laptops to the local library. I don't find
> downloading more than a live-CD feasible due to bandwidth
> limits they set to provide maximum usage for maximum number
> of users.

i take the USB stick to the library and
that is much easier to download and change
than burning CDs.

> Even the live-CD doesn't give me a functioning system as it
> does not include a dialer for an analog modem. I solved
> _*MY*_ problem by purchasing the 8 DVD set of install disks.

that is what i did when i needed to start from
scratch again. once i was installed and working
then i've been following testing since using the
modem most of the time and only going into the library
with the USB stick for the really large files (over
32Mb).

otherwise i fire it up later when people won't
complain so much about not being able to call and
let it run when i'm snoozing or reading.

songbird