Old 10-15-2012, 07:48 AM
Muhammad Yousuf Khan

Default resolve.conf missing

i just installed Debian squeeze 6.0.4 with net install CD. everything
went Ok but the problem is i could not find "resolve.conf" file in
/etc/. so i have to create the file manually however still i can not
use the file because whenever i place my internal DNS like "nameserver
10.X.X.8" and try to ping google.com and it faild eventually.

Note : my DNS is reachable and successfully pinged from the mentioned machine.

root@cheetah:~# ping google.com
ping: unknown host google.com
root@cheetah:~# cat /etc/resolve.conf
nameserver 10.x.x.8
root@cheetah:~#

kindly help me to resolve the issue.

Thanks you,

MYK

Old 10-15-2012, 08:00 AM
Muhammad Yousuf Khan

Sorry! my mistake i created a file with wrong file name the correct
spelling is resolv.conf i mistakenly add the "e".

Old 10-15-2012, 08:00 AM
Morning Star

it seems you haven't installed the 'resolvconf'. you need to install
it first by using root privileges or using 'sudo' .

# apt-get install resolvconf

Greetings,

Marco

Old 10-15-2012, 09:26 AM
Andrei POPESCU

On Lu, 15 oct 12, 15:00:29, Morning Star wrote:
> it seems you haven't installed the 'resolvconf'. you need to install
> it first by using root privileges or using 'sudo' .
>
> # apt-get install resolvconf

The resolvconf package is very useful when you have several programs
changing resolv.conf, but not really necessary in a simple setup with
static DNS configuration.

Kind regards,
Andrei