-   -   Question about Users (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/712080-question-about-users.html)

Martin Steigerwald 10-13-2012 03:59 PM

Question about Users

Am Samstag, 13. Oktober 2012 schrieb Ralf Mardorf:
> On Sat, 2012-10-13 at 10:36 -0400, Stephen P. Molnar wrote:
> > Although I have been using Linux for a number of years now I have
> > just migrated my systems to Debi an and I have a question about
> > permissions.
> >

> > Every distribution that I have used in the past has assigned a User,
> > for example 'computation'. in my case and has automatically put the
> > User in a Group 'users'. I noticed that in Debian both the User and
> > Group are the same, i.e., 'computation'. My question is why?
>
> Why not ;)?
>
> "users: While Debian systems use the user group system by default (each
> user has their own group), some prefer to use a more traditional group
> system. In that system, each user is a member of the 'users' group." -
> http://wiki.gacq.com/index.php/Debian_default_system_groups_description

Hmmm, I do think that this does not really answer the question "Why" here.

Consider you have three users:

- stephen
- ralf
- martin

Now stephen wants to give ralf, but not martin read access to his home
directory. Nothing easier than that with user group system:

chmod g=rx,o= /home/stephen

adduser ralf stephen

Done.

Granted this can be done with ACLs as well, but without ACL it would not
be possible if all users were in the same group.

OTOH with all users in the same group its easier to create a group
directory.

> It's your freedom to setup your Linux as needed. PolicyKit, su, sudo,
> groups and permissions etc..
>
> Note, that groups with the same name, for different installs, could
> have different IDs.
>
> id -a

Option "-a" has no meaning for Linux variant of "id", at least not
anymore, and is only there for compatibility reasons.

Ciao,

"Stephen P. Molnar" 10-13-2012 04:13 PM

Question about Users

[...]

does show you group names and IDs, valid only for the install you run
"id -a". You might have noticed that some groups are named abc on one
install and if you list a directory from another install or live CD, the
group names change to xyz.

Regards,
Ralf

Thanks for the replies.

--
Stephen P. Molnar, Ph.D. Life is a fuzzy set
Foundation for Chemistry Stochastic and multivariate