-   -   Question about Users (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/712069-question-about-users.html)

"Stephen P. Molnar" 10-13-2012 02:36 PM

Question about Users

Although I have been using Linux for a number of years now I have just migrated my systems to Debi an and I have a question about permissions.
*
Every distribution that I have used in the past has assigned a User, for example 'computation'. in my case and has automatically put the User in a Group 'users'.* I noticed that in Debian both the User and Group are the same, i.e., 'computation'.* My question is why?
*
Thanks in advance.
*
Stephen P. Molnar, Ph.D.*********************************** Life is a fuzzy set
Foundation for Chemistry********************************** Stochastic and multivariate
www.FoundationForChemistry.com
(614)312-7528 (c)
Skype:* smolnar1
*

Ralf Mardorf 10-13-2012 03:07 PM

Question about Users

On Sat, 2012-10-13 at 10:36 -0400, Stephen P. Molnar wrote:
> Although I have been using Linux for a number of years now I have just
> migrated my systems to Debi an and I have a question about
> permissions.
>

> Every distribution that I have used in the past has assigned a User,
> for example 'computation'. in my case and has automatically put the
> User in a Group 'users'. I noticed that in Debian both the User and
> Group are the same, i.e., 'computation'. My question is why?

Why not ;)?

"users: While Debian systems use the user group system by default (each
user has their own group), some prefer to use a more traditional group
system. In that system, each user is a member of the 'users' group." -
http://wiki.gacq.com/index.php/Debian_default_system_groups_description

It's your freedom to setup your Linux as needed. PolicyKit, su, sudo,
groups and permissions etc..

Note, that groups with the same name, for different installs, could have
different IDs.

id -a

does show you group names and IDs, valid only for the install you run
"id -a". You might have noticed that some groups are named abc on one
install and if you list a directory from another install or live CD, the
group names change to xyz.

Regards,
Ralf