Old 10-13-2012, 01:48 PM
Ralf Mardorf

Default Recurring email messages in IceDove and I'm feeling deja vu

On Sat, 13 Oct 2012 08:24:50 -0500
Mark Allums <mark@allums.com> wrote:
> Is this familiar to anyone? What's going on?

I'm not using any Mozilla and when I did, I didn't use IMAP. I tried
IMAP and Maildir with other MUAs, but it always does cause issues. I'm
subscribed to the Wanderlust mailing list and very often read about
comparable issues. When I tested Maildir with and without
IMAP everything was ok, but suddenly without any add I got several
thousand mails doubled offline for the MUA.

I'm using POP/SMPT again, but stay with Maildir. Maildir is
tricky. I'm using Evolution's Maildir, sharing mails among several
Evolution clients on different installs. I don't have issues anymore,
but I only can share this Maildir among Evolution, Maildir for other
MUAs seems to differ from Evolutions "interpretation".

YMMV,
Ralf

Old 10-15-2012, 10:26 AM
Darac Marjal

On Sat, Oct 13, 2012 at 08:24:50AM -0500, Mark Allums wrote:
> I am using Icedove, AKA Thunderbird, with an IMAP server. After
> deleting (or marking for deletion), the messages will reappear in
> the Inbox, or if in the Inbox and marked, they will become unmarked.
> This happens whether I do it manually or a filter rules "moves" the
> message to a folder. (The latter occurrence causes one or more
> copies to be put into the intended folder, and the original
> reappears in the Inbox, resulting in at least two copies of the
> message.)

Does the same happen with a different MUA (say, evolution or mutt)? If
so, it's an issue with your IMAP server (you didn't say if that's
self-hosted or provided by someone else). For example, the indexes might
be read-only or perhaps you have two clients fighting over the idea of
which messages are read etc.

Old 10-15-2012, 01:04 PM
Jon Dowland

Try rebuilding/repairing your INBOX and/or other effected folders. Right-click
on the folder in the left-hand pane, select 'Properties' and then "Repair
Folder". This can happen when Thunderbird's cache gets out-of-sync from the
server and it cannot figure out how to get back in sync on it's own. I used to
get this quite a lot when using IMAP to access an Exchange mailbox (Exchange is
a notoriously poor IMAP server)