-   -   Re-occuring folders, even when deleted! (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/711999-re-occuring-folders-even-when-deleted.html)

Sharon Kimble 10-13-2012 09:53 AM

Re-occuring folders, even when deleted!

I have several folders in my ~/Downloads folder that have been deleted
with nautilus, and thunar, and dolphin, and xfe, and at the command
line. But after rebooting they're back again! This has now been going
on for several months, and I need to put a stop to it, but how? I cant
find where these are being kept and don't know what else I can do to
get rid of them. Can anyone suggest a solution please?

Thanks
Sharon.
--
A taste of linux = http://www.sharons.org.uk/taste/index.html
Debian Wheezy, xfce 4.8, LibreOffice 3.5.4.2

Yoann CONGAL 10-13-2012 09:59 AM

2012/10/13 Sharon Kimble <skimble04@gmail.com>:
> Can anyone suggest a solution please?

You may have an application that create them every time you boot. Does
the name of the folders mean anything? Did you try to look in your
home folder the references to these folders (I would try rgrep)

Yoann

Ralf Mardorf 10-13-2012 10:07 AM

On Sat, 2012-10-13 at 10:53 +0100, Sharon Kimble wrote:
> I have several folders in my ~/Downloads folder that have been deleted
> with nautilus, and thunar, and dolphin, and xfe, and at the command
> line. But after rebooting they're back again! This has now been going
> on for several months, and I need to put a stop to it, but how? I cant
> find where these are being kept and don't know what else I can do to
> get rid of them. Can anyone suggest a solution please?

That's strange.

If you e.g. run
$ su
# cd /home/YOUR_HOME/Downloads
# ls -hAl A_FOLDER_THAT_SHOULD_BE_DELETED
# rm -rf SAME_FOLDER_THAT_SHOULD_BE_DELETED
# shutdown -r now

and after restart
$ ls -hAl ~/Downloads/THE_FOLDER_THAT_SHOULD_BE_DELETED

is there any strange output?

Regards,
Ralf

Sharon Kimble 10-13-2012 10:43 AM

On 13/10/2012, Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net> wrote:
> On Sat, 2012-10-13 at 10:53 +0100, Sharon Kimble wrote:
>> I have several folders in my ~/Downloads folder that have been deleted
>> with nautilus, and thunar, and dolphin, and xfe, and at the command
>> line. But after rebooting they're back again! This has now been going
>> on for several months, and I need to put a stop to it, but how? I cant
>> find where these are being kept and don't know what else I can do to
>> get rid of them. Can anyone suggest a solution please?
>
> That's strange.
>
> If you e.g. run
> $ su
> # cd /home/YOUR_HOME/Downloads
> # ls -hAl A_FOLDER_THAT_SHOULD_BE_DELETED
> # rm -rf SAME_FOLDER_THAT_SHOULD_BE_DELETED
> # shutdown -r now
>
> and after restart
> $ ls -hAl ~/Downloads/THE_FOLDER_THAT_SHOULD_BE_DELETED
>
> is there any strange output?
>
> Regards,
> Ralf

I feel such a fool! I've sorted it, it was my torrent downloader
[deluge] and just needed the folders to be moved as part of the
torrent download, and thats finally cleared them after several months
of trying! Doh!

Thanks all
Sharon.

Ralf Mardorf 10-13-2012 01:01 PM

On Sat, 2012-10-13 at 11:43 +0100, Sharon Kimble wrote:
> I feel such a fool! I've sorted it, it was my torrent downloader
> [deluge] and just needed the folders to be moved as part of the
> torrent download, and thats finally cleared them after several months
> of trying! Doh!

:D