-   -   easiest workaround for oom_adj to oom_score_adj transition (new kernels and kdeinit from KDE 3.5) (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/711953-easiest-workaround-oom_adj-oom_score_adj-transition-new-kernels-kdeinit-kde-3-5-a.html)

Arthur Marsh 10-13-2012 05:24 AM

easiest workaround for oom_adj to oom_score_adj transition (new kernels and kdeinit from KDE 3.5)

Hi, I've stuck with KDE 3.5.10 as it does what I want, but the new
kernels have removed support for /proc/nnnn/oom_adj and insist on using
/proc/nnnn/oom_score_adj.

The only part of KDE 3.5.X that uses /proc/nnnn/oom_adj is kdeinit, but
I have had no success so far in rebuilding it from source.

I don't want to go to a wholesale migration to KDE 4.X or Trinity
Desktop, I just want to patch kdeinit or obtain a working KDE 3.5.10
kdeinit that uses the new /proc/nnnn/oom_score_adj name.

Has anyone rebuilt kdelibs 3.5.10 this way for Debian or is is possible
to directly patch the kdeinit binary?

Regards,

Arthur.

Archive: ugank9-u4v.ln1@ppp14-2-48-242.lns21.adl2.internode.on.net">http://lists.debian.org/ugank9-u4v.ln1@ppp14-2-48-242.lns21.adl2.internode.on.net

Arthur Marsh 10-13-2012 11:13 AM

easiest workaround for oom_adj to oom_score_adj transition (new kernels and kdeinit from KDE 3.5)

Hi, I've stuck with KDE 3.5.10 as it does what I want, but the new
kernels have removed support for /proc/nnnn/oom_adj and insist on using
/proc/nnnn/oom_score_adj.

The only part of KDE 3.5.X that uses /proc/nnnn/oom_adj is kdeinit, but
I have had no success so far in rebuilding it from source.

I don't want to go to a wholesale migration to KDE 4.X or Trinity
Desktop, I just want to patch kdeinit or obtain a working KDE 3.5.10
kdeinit that uses the new /proc/nnnn/oom_score_adj name.

Has anyone rebuilt kdelibs 3.5.10 this way for Debian or is is possible
to directly patch the kdeinit binary?

Regards,

Arthur.

After some tinkering and using archive.debian.org I was able to rebuild
kdelibs 3.5.10 for AMD64 with it set to use oom_score_adj.

Next task is to do the same for i386.

Arthur.

Archive: 50vnk9-0fb.ln1@ppp14-2-48-242.lns21.adl2.internode.on.net">http://lists.debian.org/50vnk9-0fb.ln1@ppp14-2-48-242.lns21.adl2.internode.on.net

Arthur Marsh 10-13-2012 03:02 PM

easiest workaround for oom_adj to oom_score_adj transition (new kernels and kdeinit from KDE 3.5)