Old 10-15-2012, 08:59 PM
Ralf Mardorf

Default GRUB location on Dual-Boot with TWO hard drives

On Mon, 2012-10-15 at 15:25 -0400, Wally Lepore wrote:
> Ok Ralf, I will try your suggestions. As soon as I figure how to
> configure my system to log-in as root?

Don't configure your WM/DE to allow you to log in as root. You don't
need this. You only need to be root in a terminal sometimes.

I made a strange test on another Linux:

[spinymouse@archlinux src]$ kdesu thunar
[spinymouse@archlinux src]$ su -c thunar
[spinymouse@archlinux src]$ sudo thunar

Thunar is a GUI file browser. On your system nautilus might be the
default file browser and perhaps kdesu and sudo won't work, but perhaps
gksu natilus and su -c nautilus will work too. FWIW Thunar opens with a
warning, that it's dangerous to use a file browser as root. But it's
still better than to run a complete WM/DE session as root. Since you're
from Windows, perhaps mc is familiar to you. It's similar to Norton
Commander.

If you really won't use command line commands in a terminal emulation as
root, than at least "ncurses" might be something that fit to your needs.

Old 10-15-2012, 09:11 PM
Ralf Mardorf

On Mon, 2012-10-15 at 15:32 -0400, Wally Lepore wrote:
> Sounds good but how do I log into root?

Open a terminal emulation, use the menu to do it, you already found out
how to do this.

It will look similar to this:

[spinymouse@archlinux ~]$

Then type su - and push enter

[spinymouse@archlinux ~]$ su -
Password:

You will be asked for the "admin" password. Type the password and hit
enter.

[root@archlinux ~]#

On a default Debian the prompt "$" is for a user and "#" for root, on
Arch it's the same just the [ ] differs to Debian. On Suse for example
the prompt for the user by default is ">".

Or else ...

If you push the Ctrl-key, Alt-key and F1-key at the same time you get a
real console. Then you need to type "root" and enter, and then you'll be
asked to type the password followed by enter. Ctrl-key, Alt-key and
F7-key will bring you back to X (your WM/DE).

Old 10-15-2012, 09:17 PM
Wally Lepore

On Mon, Oct 15, 2012 at 4:36 PM, Lisi <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Monday 15 October 2012 20:11:06 Wally Lepore wrote:
>> On Sun, Oct 14, 2012 at 5:57 AM, Dom <toyer@rpdom.net> wrote:
>> > You might need to install the os-prober package first. Grub2 uses that to
>> > identify other OSes on your system.
>>
>> I haven't installed any pkgs. yet. But will consider that if all else
>> fails.
>
> No, Wally. Not "if all else fails". As I understand it, you actually need
> this package to do what you want to do. So grit your teeth and do it. As I
> said, I am no expert on GRUB 2, but nor are you. We just have to take the
> advice of those who know. Incidentally, Legacy GRUB and GRUB 1 are the same
> thing.

Ok no problem. I'll install the package. I just wanted to be sure if
that -in fact- was the ground-level-start for the fix.

> I know that Lee thinks that I ought to be ashamed of myself for saying it, but
> I really do think that you need to grip the bull by the horns, and just do
> it. At the worst, you have to reinstall. Most of us had to do several
> reinstalls during the learning process. (And are still learning, and still
> make mistakes, and still sometimes have to reinstall as being the easiest way
> out of the mess.)

Hi Lisi,

I totally understand. Not a big deal. No need to explain. I understood
your helpful intentions from the beginning. I read everyone's
suggestions and learn what I can. You offered excellent advice as well
as Lee. Its all subjective....everyone has a different opinion on how
to arrive at the same destination.

I've installed win2k numerous times. I knew -all along- that in order
to fix an issue, its -at times- quicker just to reinstall. Been there
done it! I can do a windows re-install standing upside down. It's easy
only because I've accomplished it multiple times. Installing Debian's
base OS via the netinst file is a snap now that I've done it as well.
I can re-install if I have to without any issues.

I can create LVM partitions again if I have to. Sure I had to study it
for two days before I had the courage but with the help of an online
tutorial and other links it was successful. Not a "snap" but
successful. I could do it again if need be. :-)

> So - courage! What have oyu got to lose?

Nothing!

I don't think I need to re-install at this point though. My problem is
not that drastic. Like i said earlier, i can still boot either OS via
setting the preferred drive to boot in BIOS. Yes its an extra step
before loading any particular OS but until I discover how to dual boot
using GRUB, its enter BIOS first before boot. If I have to re-install
to fix the GRUB issue (if its a GRUB issue) then perhaps later. :-)

Thanks Lisi

Old 10-15-2012, 09:22 PM
Wally Lepore

On Mon, Oct 15, 2012 at 4:43 PM, Ralf Mardorf
<ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 2012-10-15 at 15:22 -0400, Wally Lepore wrote:

>> > Do you really need LVM?
>>
>> I have partitioned drives n the past (using windows). Not a big deal.
>> Easy enough for sure. LVM intrigued me and I wanted to learn. The
>> logical volumes can be size adjusted (if need be) all while the
>> computer is live! That's a good thing to have. That's all. :-).
>
> I learned to use LVM on a virtual machine and I never ever will use it
> outside a virtual machine.

Why Ralf?

> I don't see any advantage using LVM, but tons of drawbacks.

What are the drawbacks? Any links? I can google this i'm sure but I've
read all good things about LVM. I have no experience thus I can't
really give an opinion either way. I'm just beginning to work with it.

Thank Ralf

Old 10-15-2012, 09:26 PM
Ralf Mardorf

On Mon, 2012-10-15 at 21:57 +0100, Lisi wrote:
> My husband says, why do I spend my time telling you again. My answer
> was that I get a lot of help myself. But his inferred suggestion is,
> I'm afraid, right. I can't keep telling you the same thing over
> again.

A video might be the best help. Unfortunately I couldn't find a good
video for Debian in English.

Old 10-15-2012, 09:27 PM
Wally Lepore

On Mon, Oct 15, 2012 at 4:36 PM, Lisi <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> wrote:

> PS It would really be much easier if you just replied to the list, rather than
> to the list and to all of us separately. It makes replying easier. It is
> also what the Debian list askes for in its code of practice.

Ok got it. I understand. Thank you

Old 10-15-2012, 09:52 PM
Wally Lepore

On Mon, Oct 15, 2012 at 4:57 PM, Lisi <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Monday 15 October 2012 20:25:54 Wally Lepore wrote:
>> On Sun, Oct 14, 2012 at 4:24 PM, Ralf Mardorf
>>
>> <ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net> wrote:
>> > Don't run a X session as root, this is a security risk.
>> >
>> > Yes, using a terminal emulation is correct, but

>> > isn't ok.
>> >
>> > You can, but you don't need to add "root", but if you'll launch GUI
>> > stuff like Gedit, you often must use "su -".
>> >
>> > So correct is
>> >
>> > su -
>> > gedit
>> >
>> > usually in mails written like this
>> >
>> > $ su -
>> > # gedit
>> >
>> > alternatively you can run one command
>> >
>> > su -c gedit

>> > For example, you also could push the shortcut
>> >
>> > Ctrl + F2 (IOW hit the Ctrl-key and the F2-key simultaneously)
>> >
>> > to launch an app or add a launcher to a panel or the desktop.
>>
>> Ok Ralf, I will try your suggestions. As soon as I figure how to
>> configure my system to log-in as root?
>
> Wally, the email to which you are replying tells you what to do. I'll repeat,
> but this is also the second time that I have told you, and several other
> people have told you as well. Just read the email above. It tells you. But
> my preferred method is, FROM A GUI INTO WHICH YOU HAVE LOGGED AS YOUR NORMAL
> USER, do:
> alt+F2 (i.e. hold down alt, and while doing so press F2, then immediately let
> both go.)
> then type
> gksu gedit
> then enter the password when asked.
>
> BUT PLEASE WALLY, stop going on about logging in as root. If you are
> determined to log in as root in a default Debian, you will have to choose
> single user mode in GRUB and log in from there. That will land you at the
> command line. Log in as root. You will still be at the command line.
>
> From what people are saying you can expect to have gedit, and to be able to
> launch it from there.
>
> But if you want to run as root from/in a GUI, you have to use either the
> launcher or the command line as has been frequently suggested. Until you
> agree to do that, and you do know how to get a terminal, and you have been
> told how to use it, but until you agree to do that, and stop fussing about
> logging in as root, you will get no-where and we cannot help you.
>
> My husband says, why do I spend my time telling you again. My answer was that
> I get a lot of help myself. But his inferred suggestion is, I'm afraid,
> right. I can't keep telling you the same thing over again.

I didn't understand the abbreviated instructions. I apologize. Most
times the very helpful suggestions assume I'm fluent in the terminal.

Heck, I feel I've mastered windows to a respectable degree but getting
dropped in the seat of Linux is like a crash course in flying the
space shuttle! Whole different ball game.

I really needed a walk-thru like your instructions above. Now I
understand better and will spend time applying your instructions.

For example, when I read helpful suggestions such as:

Type this

1 | su root
2 | gedit

I don't understand. What is the 1 and the 2 for? Do I have to type
that in as well? And I still haven't discovered if I have to clear out
the cryptic message that appears in terminal when I open it before
typing anything. please.

Trust me, I dig and dig before asking newbie questions -believe me-.
'Google is your friend' and I use it wisely before asking questions
but sometimes the most obvious answer to some of the most basic
questions can be frustrating to find. Or perhaps I just don't know
where to look.

Also I was just trying to respond to everyone's reply. I try and 'not
let' any posts go unanswered.

I'll try your suggestion. It was a long day.

I think I need a break.

Thank you for helping Lisi

Old 10-15-2012, 09:56 PM
Ralf Mardorf

We did confuse you with some explanations and I won't continue it.

Can you open a terminal emulation?

If so, let's continue step by step.

Once you're familiar with Linux, you can allow a user to execute
something in a safe way, that normally only can be executed by root. I
suspect that a default Debian install already does use a software called
PolicyKit to e.g. allow a user to handle Internet connections.

Old 10-15-2012, 09:58 PM
Ralf Mardorf

On Mon, 2012-10-15 at 17:52 -0400, Wally Lepore wrote:
> Also I was just trying to respond to everyone's reply.

You don't need to do that.

Old 10-15-2012, 10:38 PM
Brian

On Mon 15 Oct 2012 at 14:59:21 -0400, Wally Lepore wrote:

> My system won't let me log in as root.

It will - you are just not talking to it nicely. And not acting on the
good advice given already.

Lisi has the advice to use CTRL-ALT-F1. This will take you to a virtual
terminal. Type "root" at the prompt and give the root password you set
up during the install.

> I'm just learning to navigate the desktop. Where do I type
> update-grub? I understand that Linux distro's utilize what's called a
> "terminal". I believe I found the terminal under..... Applications-->
> Accessories--> Terminal. Is this correct or is there another location
> please?
>
> If it is the correct location, then as soon as the terminal opens, I'm
> presented with:
>
> [my-name]@[network-computer-name]:~$ (blinking cursor)
>
> I know I can go to the menu in terminal under.....Terminal-->Reset and
> Clear and it will just give me a terminal window with a blinking
> cursor.

The "$" tells you you an ordinary user. No special privileges. You can
destroy anything in your home directory but the system files are safe
and inviolable. Which is as nature intended,

At that blinking cursor type

whoami

and press enter. There you are, the answer is you are a nobody. Good
enough to use the system but definitely not a user with any power or
influence.

Now type

man su

and, at the very least, read the first two sentences in the DESCRIPTION
section.

Now type

su

and give the root password.

Type 'whoami' again. You have now assumed the identity of the superuser,
which is root's Sunday name. Want to wipe out a few accounts of users
you dislike, or read their mail? Want to cripple the system? You are set
up to do it.

But you won't. You are responsible. Logging in as the superuser from a
virtual terminal or changing your identity is only ever done to
administrate the machine: update packages, install new packages, edit a
system file, etc.

> What next please?

Try not to make any mistakes as root.