Old 10-15-2012, 07:11 PM
Wally Lepore

Default GRUB location on Dual-Boot with TWO hard drives

On Sun, Oct 14, 2012 at 5:57 AM, Dom <toyer@rpdom.net> wrote:

> You might need to install the os-prober package first. Grub2 uses that to
> identify other OSes on your system.

I haven't installed any pkgs. yet. But will consider that if all else fails.

Thanks Dom

Old 10-15-2012, 07:22 PM
Wally Lepore

On Sun, Oct 14, 2012 at 9:12 AM, lee <lee@yun.yagibdah.de> wrote:
> Wally Lepore <wallylepore@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I just realized something important. When I set my Debian drive (sdb)
>> for partitioning, I used the 'Manual' setup and chose Logical Volume
>> Manager (LVM) non-encryption method.
>
> Do you really need LVM?

I have partitioned drives n the past (using windows). Not a big deal.
Easy enough for sure. LVM intrigued me and I wanted to learn. The
logical volumes can be size adjusted (if need be) all while the
computer is live! That's a good thing to have. That's all. :-).

>> Is this 'Review Partition Layout' screen (displayed for review before
>> writing to disks) the actual order of partitions on the Debian drive
>> (sdb)? or is it just a review window?
>
> How did you set up LVM, and what does fdisk -l say?

What is fdisk -1 ?? I'm new to all this Linux jargon. But learning fast!

>> In my case, if I tell the Debian installer to place the GRUB
>> boot-loader into (hdd1,1) or /dev/sdb, will it place the GRUB
>> boot-loader in the '/' (root partition) due to the fact that its
>> listed FIRST in the 'Review Partition Layout' screen?
>
> Did you install grub in a partition or into the MBR? If you installed
> it in a partition, how can you boot from that? The BIOS isn't aware of
> partitions, or is it?

I don't believe the BIOS has anything to do with partitions. GRUB has
everything to do with partitions. I was told GRUB will find the /boot
file or partition wherever its located on a targeted drive.

I installed GRUB into /dev/sdb (into my partition called /boot located
on the 2nd drive). The OS booted fine as long as I switched the boot
order in BIOS to boot the 2nd drive. Nothing was placed into the MBR
of the windows drive. I installed nothing to the windows drive.

Thank you Lee

Old 10-15-2012, 07:25 PM
Wally Lepore

On Sun, Oct 14, 2012 at 4:24 PM, Ralf Mardorf
<ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net> wrote:
> Don't run a X session as root, this is a security risk.
>
> Yes, using a terminal emulation is correct, but
>
>> 1 | su root
>> 2 | gedit
>
> isn't ok.
>
> You can, but you don't need to add "root", but if you'll launch GUI
> stuff like Gedit, you often must use "su -".
>
> So correct is
>
> su -
> gedit
>
> usually in mails written like this
>
> $ su -
> # gedit
>
> alternatively you can run one command
>
> su -c gedit
>
>> I went to Applications --> Accessories --> Terminal (I assume this is
>> how to open a terminal)
>
> For example, you also could push the shortcut
>
> Ctrl + F2 (IOW hit the Ctrl-key and the F2-key simultaneously)
>
> to launch an app or add a launcher to a panel or the desktop.

Ok Ralf, I will try your suggestions. As soon as I figure how to
configure my system to log-in as root?

Old 10-15-2012, 07:31 PM
Wally Lepore

On Sun, Oct 14, 2012 at 4:36 PM, Lisi <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sunday 14 October 2012 16:20:48 Wally Lepore wrote:
>> The link starts off by suggesting I log in as user and then enter the
>> following initial command.
>>
>> 1 | su root
>> 2 | gedit
>>
>> I went to Applications --> Accessories --> Terminal (I assume this is
>> how to open a terminal) and was presented with terminal window that
>> said:
>>
>> myname@systemname:~$ (blinking cursor)
>>
>> Is this where I'm suppose to be at?
>
> Yes, and you don't need to say
> su root.
> Just
> su
> is enough.
> Debian by default does not allow booting into a GUI as root.

Ok, but now I'm back to square #1. How and where do I log-in as 'root'
on my newly installed Debian distro?

> But I prefer (mutatis mutandis, I use KDE3):
> alt-F2
> gksu gedit
> enter password when asked.
> ( I actually do: alt-F2, kdesu kwrite)

I'm lost ! I'm running the GNOME desktop.

Thank you Lisi

Old 10-15-2012, 07:32 PM
Wally Lepore

On Sun, Oct 14, 2012 at 4:39 PM, Go Linux <golinux@yahoo.com> wrote:
> [...]

Sounds good but how do I log into root?

Old 10-15-2012, 07:34 PM
Wally Lepore

On Sun, Oct 14, 2012 at 4:43 PM, Ralf Mardorf
<ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net> wrote:
> On Sun, 2012-10-14 at 21:36 +0100, Lisi wrote:
>> su
>> is enough.
>
> No, it should be
>
> su -
>
>> alt-F2
>> gksu gedit
>
> That's good
>
> gksu app
>
> my recommendation
>
> su -c app
>
> isn't good.

Ok, I will apply when I log into 'root'.

Thanks Ralf

Old 10-15-2012, 07:35 PM
Wally Lepore

On Sun, Oct 14, 2012 at 4:49 PM, Ralf Mardorf
<ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net> wrote:
> On Sun, 2012-10-14 at 13:39 -0700, Go Linux wrote:

Ok, will give it a try

Thank you

Old 10-15-2012, 08:36 PM
Lisi

On Monday 15 October 2012 20:11:06 Wally Lepore wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 14, 2012 at 5:57 AM, Dom <toyer@rpdom.net> wrote:
> > You might need to install the os-prober package first. Grub2 uses that to
> > identify other OSes on your system.
>
> I haven't installed any pkgs. yet. But will consider that if all else
> fails.

No, Wally. Not "if all else fails". As I understand it, you actually need
this package to do what you want to do. So grit your teeth and do it. As I
said, I am no expert on GRUB 2, but nor are you. We just have to take the
advice of those who know. Incidentally, Legacy GRUB and GRUB 1 are the same
thing.

I know that Lee thinks that I ought to be ashamed of myself for saying it, but
I really do think that you need to grip the bull by the horns, and just do
it. At the worst, you have to reinstall. Most of us had to do several
reinstalls during the learning process. (And are still learning, and still
make mistakes, and still sometimes have to reinstall as being the easiest way
out of the mess.)

So - courage! What have oyu got to lose?

Lisi
PS It would really be much easier if you just replied to the list, rather than
to the list and to all of us separately. It makes replying easier. It is
also what the Debian list askes for in its code of practice.

Old 10-15-2012, 08:43 PM
Ralf Mardorf

On Mon, 2012-10-15 at 15:22 -0400, Wally Lepore wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 14, 2012 at 9:12 AM, lee <lee@yun.yagibdah.de> wrote:
> > Wally Lepore <wallylepore@gmail.com> writes:
> >
> >> I just realized something important. When I set my Debian drive (sdb)
> >> for partitioning, I used the 'Manual' setup and chose Logical Volume
> >> Manager (LVM) non-encryption method.
> >
> > Do you really need LVM?
>
> I have partitioned drives n the past (using windows). Not a big deal.
> Easy enough for sure. LVM intrigued me and I wanted to learn. The
> logical volumes can be size adjusted (if need be) all while the
> computer is live! That's a good thing to have. That's all. :-).

I learned to use LVM on a virtual machine and I never ever will use it
outside a virtual machine.

I don't see any advantage using LVM, but tons of drawbacks.

Old 10-15-2012, 08:57 PM
Lisi

On Monday 15 October 2012 20:25:54 Wally Lepore wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 14, 2012 at 4:24 PM, Ralf Mardorf
>
> <ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net> wrote:
> > Don't run a X session as root, this is a security risk.
> >
> > Yes, using a terminal emulation is correct, but
> >
> >> 1 | su root
> >> 2 | gedit
> >
> > isn't ok.
> >
> > You can, but you don't need to add "root", but if you'll launch GUI
> > stuff like Gedit, you often must use "su -".
> >
> > So correct is
> >
> > su -
> > gedit
> >
> > usually in mails written like this
> >
> > $ su -
> > # gedit
> >
> > alternatively you can run one command
> >
> > su -c gedit
> >
> >> I went to Applications --> Accessories --> Terminal (I assume this is
> >> how to open a terminal)
> >
> > For example, you also could push the shortcut
> >
> > Ctrl + F2 (IOW hit the Ctrl-key and the F2-key simultaneously)
> >
> > to launch an app or add a launcher to a panel or the desktop.
>
> Ok Ralf, I will try your suggestions. As soon as I figure how to
> configure my system to log-in as root?

Wally, the email to which you are replying tells you what to do. I'll repeat,
but this is also the second time that I have told you, and several other
people have told you as well. Just read the email above. It tells you. But
my preferred method is, FROM A GUI INTO WHICH YOU HAVE LOGGED AS YOUR NORMAL
USER, do:
alt+F2 (i.e. hold down alt, and while doing so press F2, then immediately let
both go.)
then type
gksu gedit
then enter the password when asked.

BUT PLEASE WALLY, stop going on about logging in as root. If you are
determined to log in as root in a default Debian, you will have to choose
single user mode in GRUB and log in from there. That will land you at the
command line. Log in as root. You will still be at the command line.

From what people are saying you can expect to have gedit, and to be able to
launch it from there.

But if you want to run as root from/in a GUI, you have to use either the
launcher or the command line as has been frequently suggested. Until you
agree to do that, and you do know how to get a terminal, and you have been
told how to use it, but until you agree to do that, and stop fussing about
logging in as root, you will get no-where and we cannot help you.

My husband says, why do I spend my time telling you again. My answer was that
I get a lot of help myself. But his inferred suggestion is, I'm afraid,
right. I can't keep telling you the same thing over again.

Good luck!
Lisi