Old 10-13-2012, 11:41 PM
Wally Lepore

Default GRUB location on Dual-Boot with TWO hard drives

On Sat, Oct 13, 2012 at 12:48 PM, Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:

> We await your announcement of 'success'.
>
> P.S. It is (hd1,1). You really do not want to do put GRUB there. It is
> not the same as /dev/sdb. Honest.

*******SUCCESS********
*******SUCCESS********
Debian Squeeze installed successfully !

The dual-boot did not work but I can boot into either Win2k or Debian
simply by changing the boot order in the BIOS (hdd-0 or hdd-1). When
I set Debian (hdd-1) as 1st boot device I do receive a menu that asks
which OS I would like to boot but Win2k (hdd-0) is not offered as a
choice. Its missing.

The only choices presented are Debian Squeeze and Debian Recovery. I
guess the fact that I did not put GRUB on the win2k drive (hdd-0) is
probably why win2k is not offered as an optional OS to boot. However,
based on the suggestions from the helpful replies I have received and
reading the online tutorials, everyone has suggested the same thing,
"Don't put Grub on the windows drive". That is good enough advice for
me! Who knows what could have happened!

I can still boot either OS (win2k or Debian) simply by changing the
boot order in BIOS. Not a big deal. Sure beats swapping drives in and
out of the computer.

Now I can finally join the ranks of Debian users and ask operational
questions, help others and start the real uphill climb in learning all
aspects of linux. A lot more reading and studying for sure - forever.
Right off the bat I've encountered the following 'oddities'.

1) Flash in Youtube is jagged and slow motion. I read all about linux
and flash and will study this further.
2) No audio (My audio card is M-audio Delta 196) I also have on-board audio.
3) Google gmail locks up when I visit the page to check my mail.

These are just some of the many issues I'm sure I will encounter as
time goes on. I will do much research to solve these issues on my own
before posting separate questions on each issue (one at a time). First
task is to settle in with learning the basics of the new OS.

Learning the intricate choices and partitioning aspects during the
debian-install was a tremendous learning experience. As time goes on,
I will probably re-install Debian on its own system as I believe that
is the best way to proceed.

I kindly thank all who have endured and answered my questions from the
beginning to end.The advice given on this mailing list is superb!

Looking forward to promoting Debian and Linux!

Thank you and be well.

Old 10-14-2012, 03:58 AM
Joe Zien

Wally Lepore wrote:

Hi Debain Users,

I'm at the final stages of Installing NOT Ubuntu but Debian 'Squeeze'
on my dual-boot system. Windows is installed on the 1st hard drive
(/dev/sda) and Debian will be installed on the 2nd hard drive
(/dev/sdb).

The installer is asking me where I want Grub installed. It says:

-begin-

The following other operating systems have been detected on this
computer: Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional

*****begin*****
If all of your operating systems are listed above, then it should be
safe to install the boot loader to the master boot record of your
first hard drive. When your computer boots, you will be able to choose
to load one of these operating systems or your new system. Install the
GRUB boot loader to the master boot record? No or Yes ?
*****end*****

This is the make it or break it point! Debian is installed on my 2nd
drive (/dev/sdb) NOT the 1st drive (/dev/sda). I also created a
partition on the Debian drive (/dev/sdb) called "/boot". GRUB was to
be installed at this /boot location and then I would go into BIOS
after install and switch the boot order to boot the Debian drive
(/dev/sdb). This would then present the menu for which OS I would like
to boot (Windows or Debian).

If I choose NO to the installer's question as to placing GRUB in the
MBR of the 1st drive. What are my choices as to where to install it? I
don't want to answer "NO" to the question only to advance the
installer to a dead end. I have no idea what may happen next if I
answer NO. Any ideas or suggestions please?

Thank you

Hi Wally,

I use mepis 11, a debian distro, as my default with grub legacy
in the MBR.
I boot all distros that use grub2 by adding the following example
using grub legacy menu.lst:

title Debian 6.0 GNU/Linux, at sdb21 (core.img) with Linux 2.6.32-5-amd64
root (hd1,20)
kernel /boot/grub/core.img
savedefault
boot

This works for me every time.
Most grub2 distros put grub2 in the MBR and all I have to do
is re-install grub legacy for mepis 11 to the MBR and add the new grub2
distro

as above

jozien

Archive: 507A3883.8030901@comcast.net">http://lists.debian.org/507A3883.8030901@comcast.net

Old 10-14-2012, 08:34 AM
Joe

On Sat, 13 Oct 2012 18:49:14 -0400
Wally Lepore <wallylepore@gmail.com> wrote:

> I can still boot either OS (win2k or Debian) simply by changing the
> boot order in BIOS. Not a big deal. Sure beats swapping drives in and
> out of the computer.

Editing Win 2000 boot.ini:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/311578

which is Google's first hit for: "windows 2000" "boot.ini"

--
Joe

Old 10-14-2012, 08:45 AM
Lisi

On Sunday 14 October 2012 00:41:46 Wally Lepore wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 13, 2012 at 12:48 PM, Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:
> *******SUCCESS********
> *******SUCCESS********
> Debian Squeeze installed successfully !

/ :-))

> The dual-boot did not work but I can boot into either Win2k or Debian
> simply by changing the boot order in the BIOS (hdd-0 or hdd-1). When
> I set Debian (hdd-1) as 1st boot device I do receive a menu that asks
> which OS I would like to boot but Win2k (hdd-0) is not offered as a
> choice. Its missing.
>
> The only choices presented are Debian Squeeze and Debian Recovery. I
> guess the fact that I did not put GRUB on the win2k drive (hdd-0) is
> probably why win2k is not offered as an optional OS to boot. However,
> based on the suggestions from the helpful replies I have received and
> reading the online tutorials, everyone has suggested the same thing,
> "Don't put Grub on the windows drive". That is good enough advice for
> me! Who knows what could have happened!

You can ask GRUB to search for other OSs. I'll leave it to someone who
actually knows about GRUB 2 to tell you how. I still prefer GRUB 1, but the
change was necessary.

> I can still boot either OS (win2k or Debian) simply by changing the
> boot order in BIOS. Not a big deal. Sure beats swapping drives in and
> out of the computer.

:-) Quite!!

> Now I can finally join the ranks of Debian users and ask operational
> questions, help others and start the real uphill climb in learning all
> aspects of linux. A lot more reading and studying for sure - forever.
>
> Right off the bat I've encountered the following 'oddities'.
> 3) Google gmail locks up when I visit the page to check my mail.

Which browser?

> I kindly thank all who have endured and answered my questions from the
> beginning to end.The advice given on this mailing list is superb!

You're very welcome! And yes, it is. We have some real experts here.

Lisi

Old 10-14-2012, 09:36 AM
Brian

On Sat 13 Oct 2012 at 18:49:14 -0400, Wally Lepore wrote:

> Debian Squeeze installed successfully !
>
> The dual-boot did not work but I can boot into either Win2k or Debian
> simply by changing the boot order in the BIOS (hdd-0 or hdd-1). When
> I set Debian (hdd-1) as 1st boot device I do receive a menu that asks
> which OS I would like to boot but Win2k (hdd-0) is not offered as a
> choice. Its missing.

It's not unknown for the installer to not record an OS in the GRUB menu
even when it detects its presence. The guide does remark that this
process is still something of a "black art".

> The only choices presented are Debian Squeeze and Debian Recovery. I
> guess the fact that I did not put GRUB on the win2k drive (hdd-0) is
> probably why win2k is not offered as an optional OS to boot. However,
> based on the suggestions from the helpful replies I have received and
> reading the online tutorials, everyone has suggested the same thing,
> "Don't put Grub on the windows drive". That is good enough advice for
> me! Who knows what could have happened!

Probably nothing disastrous. The Windows boot loader would have been
wiped out, of course, but if there had been no Windows entry in the
GRUB menu, it is recoverable. As we shall see.

> I can still boot either OS (win2k or Debian) simply by changing the
> boot order in BIOS. Not a big deal. Sure beats swapping drives in and
> out of the computer.

Login as root and run the command

update-grub

Watch the screen for a mention of "Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional".
Check for a Windows entry in /boot/grub/grub.cfg with

less /boot/grub/grub.cfg

If it there it should be offered as an option when you reboot.

Old 10-14-2012, 09:57 AM
Dom

[...]

You might need to install the os-prober package first. Grub2 uses that
to identify other OSes on your system.

--
Dom

Archive: 507A8C85.3060006@rpdom.net">http://lists.debian.org/507A8C85.3060006@rpdom.net

Old 10-14-2012, 01:12 PM
lee

Wally Lepore <wallylepore@gmail.com> writes:

> I just realized something important. When I set my Debian drive (sdb)
> for partitioning, I used the 'Manual' setup and chose Logical Volume
> Manager (LVM) non-encryption method.

Do you really need LVM?

> Is this 'Review Partition Layout' screen (displayed for review before
> writing to disks) the actual order of partitions on the Debian drive
> (sdb)? or is it just a review window?

How did you set up LVM, and what does fdisk -l say?

> In my case, if I tell the Debian installer to place the GRUB
> boot-loader into (hdd1,1) or /dev/sdb, will it place the GRUB
> boot-loader in the '/' (root partition) due to the fact that its
> listed FIRST in the 'Review Partition Layout' screen?

Did you install grub in a partition or into the MBR? If you installed
it in a partition, how can you boot from that? The BIOS isn't aware of
partitions, or is it?

--
Debian testing iad96 brokenarch

Old 10-14-2012, 03:20 PM
Wally Lepore

> Brian wrote: on Sun, Oct 14, 2012 at 5:36 AM
>> Wally wrote: on Sat 13 Oct 2012 at 18:49:14 -0400
>> I can still boot either OS (win2k or Debian) simply by changing the
>> boot order in BIOS. Not a big deal. Sure beats swapping drives in and
>> out of the computer.

> Login as root and run the command
>
> update-grub

Hi Brian

Totally appreciate the feedback. If you can be patient I will follow
all your instructions but as you already know, I'm new to Linux.

I logged in as 'root' but the system did not take my password (for
root). I know the passsword is correct. I (obviously) wrote it down
and had to enter it two times during the initial install.

I googled, "debian squeeze, how to log in as root' and found this site that
is suggesting 'How to enable gnome root login on Debian 6 (Squeeze)'.

http://www.pathin.org/tutorials/debian-6-howto-enable-gnome-root-login-on-debian-6-squeeze/

The link starts off by suggesting I log in as user and then enter the
following initial command.

1 | su root
2 | gedit

I went to Applications --> Accessories --> Terminal (I assume this is
how to open a terminal) and was presented with terminal window that
said:

myname@systemname:~$ (blinking cursor)

Is this where I'm suppose to be at?

Thank you

Old 10-14-2012, 08:24 PM
Ralf Mardorf

Don't run a X session as root, this is a security risk.

Yes, using a terminal emulation is correct, but

> 1 | su root
> 2 | gedit

isn't ok.

You can, but you don't need to add "root", but if you'll launch GUI
stuff like Gedit, you often must use "su -".

So correct is

su -
gedit

usually in mails written like this

$ su -
# gedit

alternatively you can run one command

su -c gedit

> I went to Applications --> Accessories --> Terminal (I assume this is
> how to open a terminal)

For example, you also could push the shortcut

Ctrl + F2 (IOW hit the Ctrl-key and the F2-key simultaneously)

to launch an app or add a launcher to a panel or the desktop.

Hth,
Ralf

Old 10-14-2012, 08:36 PM
Lisi

On Sunday 14 October 2012 16:20:48 Wally Lepore wrote:
> The link starts off by suggesting I log in as user and then enter the
> following initial command.
>
> 1 | su root
> 2 | gedit
> ********
> I went to Applications --> Accessories --> Terminal (I assume this is
> how to open a terminal) *and was presented with *terminal window that
> said:
>
> myname@systemname:~$ (blinking cursor)
>
> Is this where I'm suppose to be at?

Yes, and you don't need to say
su root.
Just
su
is enough.
Debian by default does not allow booting into a GUI as root.

But I prefer (mutatis mutandis, I use KDE3):
alt-F2
gksu gedit
enter password when asked.
( I actually do: alt-F2, kdesu kwrite)