FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 10-11-2012, 02:45 PM
Brian
 
Default PulseAudio sound issues

On Thu 11 Oct 2012 at 10:21:54 -0300, Alejandro Santos wrote:

> Since after killing the PulseAudio daemon with pulseaudio -k the
> problems goes away, it is my strong opinion that this is a PulseAudio
> issue.
>
> My workaround so far was to remove the execution permissions on
> PulseAdio with: chmod a-x /usr/bin/pulseaudio

The Debian way:

update-rc.d pulseaudio disable

> 2. I can't purge the package with "aptitude purge pulseaudio" since
> the package "pulseaudio" is a dependency on "gnome-core". After
> killing PulseAudio, the sound works fine. I'm a software developer
> myself, and I can't help keep asking myself, why is PulseAudio an
> strong dependency on Gnome? What advantages does PulseAudio gives me
> as a user over good ol' ALSA?

I'm just a user and I ask myself, why install gnome-core when all the
bits and pieces to make a customised GNOME are in the archive?


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: http://lists.debian.org/20121011144527.GN30872@desktop
 
Old 10-11-2012, 02:48 PM
"tv.debian@googlemail.com"
 
Default PulseAudio sound issues

On 11/10/2012 15:21, Alejandro Santos wrote:

Hi,

I'm using Debian "Wheezy" Testing on both my desktop computer and my
Laptop. On the Laptop the sound works fine, but on the desktop I can't
play two or more sounds at the same time, for example while watching a
video on VLC, hitting pause, then opening a video on YouTube.

Other problem is: after watching a video on VLC and closing VLC, I
have to wait 20 seconds to open a new VLC program since otherwise the
sound coming out of the speakers will be garbage.


Hi, on Wheezy/Sid here I use Pulseaudio without problem. VLC is
configured to output to pulse (vlc-plugin-pulse installed), works fine
here, vlc and flash or anything else. I use KDE, did nothing special to
make it work, only timidity gave me trouble but it was easily solved.
User belongs to "pulse" group.


Since after killing the PulseAudio daemon with pulseaudio -k the
problems goes away, it is my strong opinion that this is a PulseAudio
issue.

My workaround so far was to remove the execution permissions on
PulseAdio with: chmod a-x /usr/bin/pulseaudio

I have two questions:

1. How can I debug this problem? I'd like to file an appropiate bug on
the corresponding bug tracker.

Make sure the problem really lies with Pulse.
You could start by dumping pulse config with "--dump-conf", change log
level (--log-level). Install debug packages.




2. I can't purge the package with "aptitude purge pulseaudio" since
the package "pulseaudio" is a dependency on "gnome-core". After
killing PulseAudio, the sound works fine. I'm a software developer
myself, and I can't help keep asking myself, why is PulseAudio an
strong dependency on Gnome? What advantages does PulseAudio gives me
as a user over good ol' ALSA?



I can play a flash video or listen to the bbc player and watch a video
in vlc at the same time. I can throw Amarok into the mix or use at the
same time Tuxguitar outputting through timidity and vlc (nice to write
tabs from a concert video ;-). I can just click on the kde mixer applet
and adjust output volume for each application separately.
Record with a lightweight device and stream the sound to another
powerful computer over the LAN to process it, and I am not even
scratching the surface of what can be done with Pulse.
I have been defiant toward anything "pulse" for a long time as it used
to screw things up "out of the box" more than often (in KDE in my case).
I adopted it not long ago, and I would be sad going back. My only
complaint is that it isn't trivial to make it play with jackd, but given
the nature of jack and the rarity of this setup it's not surprising.




--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Archive: 5076DC4F.3050206@googlemail.com">http://lists.debian.org/5076DC4F.3050206@googlemail.com
 
Old 10-11-2012, 04:07 PM
Alejandro Santos
 
Default PulseAudio sound issues

On Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 11:45 AM, Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:
> On Thu 11 Oct 2012 at 10:21:54 -0300, Alejandro Santos wrote:
>
>>
>> My workaround so far was to remove the execution permissions on
>> PulseAdio with: chmod a-x /usr/bin/pulseaudio
>
> The Debian way:
>
> update-rc.d pulseaudio disable
>

By default, PulseAudio is on Debian Wheezy configured not to start as
an init.d SysV daemon. That won't work.

>> 2. I can't purge the package with "aptitude purge pulseaudio" since
>> the package "pulseaudio" is a dependency on "gnome-core". After
>> killing PulseAudio, the sound works fine. I'm a software developer
>> myself, and I can't help keep asking myself, why is PulseAudio an
>> strong dependency on Gnome? What advantages does PulseAudio gives me
>> as a user over good ol' ALSA?
>
> I'm just a user and I ask myself, why install gnome-core when all the
> bits and pieces to make a customised GNOME are in the archive?
>

Since I am not a native English speaker I must be missing something in
the translation on my head. Can you explain further this comment?

Thanks,

--
Alejandro Santos


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: http://lists.debian.org/CAKMi1Tx_Y1-3KneMN1qjvkPkcgDtHoRRtpqM6_Cga8nD=madkg@mail.gmail .com
 
Old 10-11-2012, 04:12 PM
Alejandro Santos
 
Default PulseAudio sound issues

On Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 11:48 AM, tv.debian@googlemail.com
<tv.debian@googlemail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi, on Wheezy/Sid here I use Pulseaudio without problem. VLC is configured
> to output to pulse (vlc-plugin-pulse installed), works fine here, vlc and
> flash or anything else. I use KDE, did nothing special to make it work, only
> timidity gave me trouble but it was easily solved. User belongs to "pulse"
> group.
>

Before posting my initial message, I have actually read the
debian-user mailing list archives, and I know for a fact that
PulseAudio can generate some heated discussions.

I do know that PulseAudio works for most people. Thanks for your vote
of confidence. But please, don't transform this thread on
yet-anoter-X-software-is-{awesome/crap}. I want my sound working, and
I want to fix PulseAudio.

Thanks again,

--
Alejandro Santos


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: CAKMi1TyYeX+SuU7gGSVOt4LXPyC0PrUa72_4NdyHPk4dmembC w@mail.gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/CAKMi1TyYeX+SuU7gGSVOt4LXPyC0PrUa72_4NdyHPk4dmembC w@mail.gmail.com
 
Old 10-11-2012, 05:06 PM
"tv.debian@googlemail.com"
 
Default PulseAudio sound issues

On 11/10/2012 18:12, Alejandro Santos wrote:

On Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 11:48 AM, tv.debian@googlemail.com
<tv.debian@googlemail.com> wrote:


Hi, on Wheezy/Sid here I use Pulseaudio without problem. VLC is configured
to output to pulse (vlc-plugin-pulse installed), works fine here, vlc and
flash or anything else. I use KDE, did nothing special to make it work, only
timidity gave me trouble but it was easily solved. User belongs to "pulse"
group.



Before posting my initial message, I have actually read the
debian-user mailing list archives, and I know for a fact that
PulseAudio can generate some heated discussions.

I do know that PulseAudio works for most people. Thanks for your vote
of confidence. But please, don't transform this thread on
yet-anoter-X-software-is-{awesome/crap}. I want my sound working, and
I want to fix PulseAudio.

Thanks again,



Wasn't my intention, was responding to :

"I'm a software developer myself, and I can't help keep asking myself,
why is PulseAudio an strong dependency on Gnome? What advantages does

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
PulseAudio gives me as a user over good ol' ALSA?"
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Kind of sounds as an invite for yet another a heated discussion over the
merits of pulse... I tried to be factual, give clues of what could be
missing in your setup, and did say in another part of the message that I
wasn't a pulseaudio "fanboy", just a currently happy user.


Sorry for polluting your thread with silly attempts to help you.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Archive: 5076FC7D.6000308@googlemail.com">http://lists.debian.org/5076FC7D.6000308@googlemail.com
 
Old 10-11-2012, 05:10 PM
"tv.debian@googlemail.com"
 
Default PulseAudio sound issues

On 11/10/2012 18:07, Alejandro Santos wrote:

On Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 11:45 AM, Brian<ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:

On Thu 11 Oct 2012 at 10:21:54 -0300, Alejandro Santos wrote:




[snip]

2. I can't purge the package with "aptitude purge pulseaudio" since
the package "pulseaudio" is a dependency on "gnome-core". After
killing PulseAudio, the sound works fine. I'm a software developer
myself, and I can't help keep asking myself, why is PulseAudio an
strong dependency on Gnome? What advantages does PulseAudio gives me
as a user over good ol' ALSA?


I'm just a user and I ask myself, why install gnome-core when all the
bits and pieces to make a customised GNOME are in the archive?



Since I am not a native English speaker I must be missing something in
the translation on my head. Can you explain further this comment?

Thanks,



Not a native English speaker either, but what I understand is: don't
install metapackages and then complain that they are crap-bags, use them
as guidance to install what you really need among their dependencies.



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Archive: 5076FD6C.702@googlemail.com">http://lists.debian.org/5076FD6C.702@googlemail.com
 
Old 10-11-2012, 05:22 PM
Ivan Shmakov
 
Default PulseAudio sound issues

>>>>> Alejandro Santos <listas@alejolp.com> writes:

[…]

> 1. How can I debug this problem? I'd like to file an appropiate bug
> on the corresponding bug tracker.

While I'm not a PulseAudio user myself, some of those I know use
it, so I'm somewhat interested in that, too.

(Thanks to Darac Marjal for his hints on P-A debugging elsewhere
in this thread, BTW.)

[…]

> I'm a software developer myself, and I can't help keep asking myself,
> why is PulseAudio an strong dependency on Gnome? What advantages
> does PulseAudio gives me as a user over good ol' ALSA?

I remember playing with both GNOME and KDE back in 2000 or so.
Honestly, I still don't get what advantages do they give to me
over the good old “bunch of X applications” approach.

(Though I've discovered somewhat recently that there're a few
interesting Qt-based applications in Debian. Previously,
anything depending on Qt was out of consideration for me.)

--
FSF associate member #7257


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 861uh4hqj2.fsf@gray.siamics.net">http://lists.debian.org/861uh4hqj2.fsf@gray.siamics.net
 
Old 10-11-2012, 06:28 PM
"tv.debian@googlemail.com"
 
Default PulseAudio sound issues

[received personally, forwarding to list]

On 11/10/2012 19:20, Yaro Kasear wrote:

On 10/11/2012 12:10 PM, tv.debian@googlemail.com wrote:

On 11/10/2012 18:07, Alejandro Santos wrote:

On Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 11:45 AM, Brian<ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:

On Thu 11 Oct 2012 at 10:21:54 -0300, Alejandro Santos wrote:




[snip]

2. I can't purge the package with "aptitude purge pulseaudio" since
the package "pulseaudio" is a dependency on "gnome-core". After
killing PulseAudio, the sound works fine. I'm a software developer
myself, and I can't help keep asking myself, why is PulseAudio an
strong dependency on Gnome? What advantages does PulseAudio gives me
as a user over good ol' ALSA?


I'm just a user and I ask myself, why install gnome-core when all the
bits and pieces to make a customised GNOME are in the archive?



Since I am not a native English speaker I must be missing something in
the translation on my head. Can you explain further this comment?

Thanks,



Not a native English speaker either, but what I understand is: don't
install metapackages and then complain that they are crap-bags, use
them as guidance to install what you really need among their
dependencies.



Fortunately if you don't use GNOME (Why anyone subjects themselves to
GNOME 3 willingly is beyond me, but a different topic altogether.
There's a very good reason why MATE forked off.), then you don't have to
put up with Pulseaudio usually. It really is a pain to work with if you
don't accept its default configurations, which have a 50% chance of
guessing the ideal settings for your system wrong. Frankly I've always
found that bare ALSA works fine in almost all cases, a far higher
functionality rate than PA.




--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Archive: 50770FBE.2060301@googlemail.com">http://lists.debian.org/50770FBE.2060301@googlemail.com
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 08:12 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org