Old 10-10-2012, 02:53 PM
"Luiz L. Marins"

Default wi-fi connection and wicd

Please,

see here:

http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/all/firmware-linux-nonfree/download

and here:

http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/non-free/f/firmware-nonfree/

Good Luck

Archive: 50758BE1.3080708@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/50758BE1.3080708@gmail.com

Old 10-10-2012, 04:29 PM
Lisi

I have a newly installed Debian 6.0.6 on my netbook. I cannot get wi-fi
going. I have checked the wi-fi card itself by booting a Live DVD. It
connects fine on Ubuntu 12.04.

I have run various tests with the following results:
root@Cronos:/home/lisi# iwconfig
lo no wireless extensions.

eth0 no wireless extensions.

wlan0 IEEE 802.11bg ESSIDff/any
Mode:Managed Access Point: Not-Associated Tx-Power=0 dBm
Retry long limit:7 RTS thrff Fragment thrff
Encryption keyff
Power Managementff

lisi@Cronos:~$ lsmod | grep ath5k
ath5k 104138 0
mac80211 123586 1 ath5k
ath 6018 1 ath5k
cfg80211 87645 3 ath5k,mac80211,ath
led_class 1757 1 ath5k
lisi@Cronos:~$
lisi@Cronos:~$ lsmod | grep ath9k
lisi@Cronos:~$

03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR5001
Wireless Network Adapter (rev 01)
Subsystem: Foxconn International, Inc. Device e008
Memory at 55200000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64K]
Capabilities: <access denied>
Kernel driver in use: ath5k

wicd has been a bit problematic since I installed it. It took various
adjustments before it got to this stage.

I have never had a problem of any kind with wicd before, and I have installed
it frequently.

I have Googled - which is how I got this far. Each tiny step in sorting out
wicd took much Googling.

I have purged and reinstalled wicd. I have dpkg-reconfigured it.

When I try to connect I get the message that no wireless connection is
available. There are in fact 7 within easy wireless reach, one of them my
own, and my wireless router is currently about 9 inches away from the netbook
on the same desk.

Where do I go next??

Thanks,
Lisi

Old 10-10-2012, 04:35 PM
"Hans-J. Ullrich"

> When I try to connect I get the message that no wireless connection is
> available. There are in fact 7 within easy wireless reach, one of them my
> own, and my wireless router is currently about 9 inches away from the
> netbook on the same desk.
>
> Where do I go next??
>
> Thanks,
> Lisi

Hi Lisi,

looks like a known bug.

What kernel version are you running?

Regards

Hans

Old 10-10-2012, 07:40 PM
Lisi

Hi, Hans!

On Wednesday 10 October 2012 17:35:56 Hans-J. Ullrich wrote:
> > When I try to connect I get the message that no wireless connection is
> > available. There are in fact 7 within easy wireless reach, one of them
> > my own, and my wireless router is currently about 9 inches away from the
> > netbook on the same desk.
> >
> > Where do I go next??
>
> looks like a known bug.

It's certainly very similar.

> What kernel version are you running?

2.6.32-5-686

Thanks for your reply,
Lisi

Old 10-11-2012, 06:37 AM
"Hans-J. Ullrich"

Hi Lisi,

> > What kernel version are you running?
>
> 2.6.32-5-686
>
> Thanks for your reply,
> Lisi

there is also another bugreport by me from earlier times. But I guess, this
reason might be in older kernels, too. At the moment I am running kernek 3.5
from experimental with no errors at all.

However, I think, it is a kernel bug, and is fixed since kernel 3.5.

Here is my old bugeport, which is closed (and reopened by the bugreport you
already know):

At the moment, i know no other solution, than to switch to a running 3.2.0
kernel (see in my bugreport, which ran for me), or use 3.5 from experimental.

Goo luck!

Hans

Old 10-11-2012, 10:43 AM
Brian

On Wed 10 Oct 2012 at 17:29:13 +0100, Lisi wrote:

[Some selective snipping done]

> I have a newly installed Debian 6.0.6 on my netbook. I cannot get wi-fi
> going. I have checked the wi-fi card itself by booting a Live DVD. It
> connects fine on Ubuntu 12.04.

Using a Debian Live CD would have been more instructive, I think.

> wlan0 IEEE 802.11bg ESSIDff/any
> Mode:Managed Access Point: Not-Associated Tx-Power=0 dBm

Confirms the lack of connectivity.

> lisi@Cronos:~$ lsmod | grep ath5k
> ath5k 104138 0
> mac80211 123586 1 ath5k
> ath 6018 1 ath5k
> cfg80211 87645 3 ath5k,mac80211,ath
> led_class 1757 1 ath5k

Looks like all the required kernel modules are there.

> 03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR5001 Wireless Network Adapter (rev 01)

No firmware needed according to the Debian wiki. The installer would
have asked for it.

> wicd has been a bit problematic since I installed it. It took various
> adjustments before it got to this stage.
>
> I have never had a problem of any kind with wicd before, and I have installed
> it frequently.

I'm not familiar with wicd. However, wicd uses wpa_supplicant so we
could see what it can do by itself.

1. Stop the wicd daemon from being run:

update-rc.d wicd disable

Do the same with network-manager if it too is in /etc/init.d.
'enable' to revert back.

2. Comment out everything in /etc/network/interfaces (apart from lo) and
add:

allow-hotplug wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp
wpa-ssid MyAccessPoint
wpa-psk "passphrase in ASCII"

> Where do I go next??

Cross your fingers and reboot.

Old 10-11-2012, 11:55 AM
simNIX

Hello,

For me on squeeze all works fine.

When I add wicd (after I did a remove and purge of network-manager) then
the final step to do to get wifi going is setting in gui part wicd which
wireless card to use - for me wlan0.

Als during install setup asks me what user should be added to netdev
group to be allowed to utilize wicd.

Hope this helps you further,
Cor

Archive: 5076B396.50207@simnix.info">http://lists.debian.org/5076B396.50207@simnix.info

Old 10-11-2012, 08:32 PM
steef

[...]

maybe this link (if the atheros driver works; and that is the case)
could be of some help.

http://wiki.debian.org/WiFi/HowToUse#Wicd

reg.,

steef