Old 10-10-2012, 03:44 PM
ozhan fenerci

Default Util-linux package was removed and the system is not bootable.

Dear List,

I know I am not supposed to delete util-linux but it was removed by the command " apt-get remove util-linux'. After I rebooted the computer, the grub shows no linux boot disk.

I wonder how I can recover my system back. I am using debian testing/386.

Best Regards,
Ozhan

Old 10-10-2012, 04:18 PM
Darac Marjal

On Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 04:44:20PM +0100, ozhan fenerci wrote:
> Dear List,
>
> I know I am not supposed to delete util-linux but it was removed by the
> command " apt-get remove util-linux'. After I rebooted the computer, the
> grub shows no linux boot disk.
>
> I wonder how I can recover my system back. I am using debian testing/386.

util-linux is marked as Essential. This means that you SHOULD have been
given a bit fat warning that what you were about to do would likely
break your system - which it did.

If you didn't get such a warning, please, PLEASE raise a bug against the
apt package.

If you DID get the warning and you proceeded anyway (it shouldn't have
been easy), then... well.. Try a live CD

Old 10-10-2012, 06:19 PM
Mike O

ozhan fenerci <o_fenerci <at> yahoo.com.tr> writes:

> Dear List,I know I am not supposed to delete util-linux but it was removed by
the command " apt-get remove util-linux'. After I rebooted the computer, the
grub shows no linux boot disk. I wonder how I can recover my system back. I am
using debian testing/386. Best Regards,Ozhan

I'd second using a live cd or usb. After you boot into the live environment, you
should be able to mount your partitions. Download a *.deb for util-linux, copy
it to your partition, 'chroot' into your system and 'dpkg -i' it. You might also
being able to 'aptitude install' it, but I don't know how much not having
util-linux will cripple aptitude (or even dpkg).

Old 10-14-2012, 11:44 AM
Roger Leigh

On Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 06:19:09PM +0000, Mike O wrote:
> ozhan fenerci <o_fenerci <at> yahoo.com.tr> writes:
>

> > Dear List,I know I am not supposed to delete util-linux but it was removed
> > by the command " apt-get remove util-linux'. After I rebooted the computer,
> > the grub shows no linux boot disk. I wonder how I can recover my system
> > back.
> >

> I'd second using a live cd or usb. After you boot into the live environment,
> you should be able to mount your partitions. Download a *.deb for util-linux,
> copy it to your partition, 'chroot' into your system and 'dpkg -i' it. You
> might also being able to 'aptitude install' it, but I don't know how much not
> having util-linux will cripple aptitude (or even dpkg).

If dpkg -i fails for some reason (if the maintainer scripts depend on
util-linux already being installed, for example), then you can unpack
it by hand within the chroot:

ar x /var/cache/apt/archives/util-linux_2.20.1-5.2_amd64.deb data.tar.gz
tar xfvz data.tar.gz

and then immediately install it with dpkg so that its database is
correct:

dpkg -i /var/cache/apt/archives/util-linux_2.20.1-5.2_amd64.deb

Regards,
Roger

--
.'`. Roger Leigh