Old 10-10-2012, 03:06 PM
Nikolaus Rath

Default apt-get install linux-source vs apt-get source linux

On 10/10/2012 10:51 AM, Nikolaus Rath wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'd like to add a patch to the stock Debian wheezy kernel. According to
> http://kernel-handbook.alioth.debian.org/ch-common-tasks.html, there are
> two ways to do this.
>
> Either I can install the linux-source package (apt-get install
> linux-source), unzip the .tar.bz, apply my patch and run 'make deb-pkg'.
>
> Or I can install the source of the linux-package (apt-get source linux),
> and run 'fakeroot debian/rules source', apply my patch, and run
> 'fakeroot make -f debian/rules.gen binary-arch_amd64'.
>
> Can someone explain to me which method I should use in which situation?
>

> I have randomly picked the first method, and am very surprised that the
> resulting kernel has version 3.2.23, while the stock wheezy kernel is
> 3.2.0. Shouldn't linux-source give me the sources for linux-image?

Also, as I just noticed, there are 449 modules taking 427 MB of space in
the custom built package, and 2848 modules taking 106 MB in the official
package. The lower number is expected because I used 'make
localmodconfig', but why are the custom built modules so huge?

Best,

-Nikolaus

PGP fingerprint: 5B93 61F8 4EA2 E279 ABF6 02CF A9AD B7F8 AE4E 425C