Old 10-10-2012, 02:51 PM
Nikolaus Rath

Default apt-get install linux-source vs apt-get source linux

Hello,

I'd like to add a patch to the stock Debian wheezy kernel. According to
http://kernel-handbook.alioth.debian.org/ch-common-tasks.html, there are
two ways to do this.

Either I can install the linux-source package (apt-get install
linux-source), unzip the .tar.bz, apply my patch and run 'make deb-pkg'.

Or I can install the source of the linux-package (apt-get source linux),
and run 'fakeroot debian/rules source', apply my patch, and run
'fakeroot make -f debian/rules.gen binary-arch_amd64'.

Can someone explain to me which method I should use in which situation?

I have randomly picked the first method, and am very surprised that the
resulting kernel has version 3.2.23, while the stock wheezy kernel is
3.2.0. Shouldn't linux-source give me the sources for linux-image?

Best,

-Nikolaus

PGP fingerprint: 5B93 61F8 4EA2 E279 ABF6 02CF A9AD B7F8 AE4E 425C