-   -   Adding user to dual boot laptop (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/711070-adding-user-dual-boot-laptop.html)

Wally Lepore 10-10-2012 02:11 AM

Adding user to dual boot laptop

On Tue, 09 Oct 2012 16:53:14 -0700 Gary writes:
> I have a Toshiba Qosmio with 2 60 GB hard drives, one with Windows XP and the other with Debian Squeeze.
> I just decided to add my wife as a user to the linux side. For some reason the login screen won't work.
> I set up her account in passwd and group and I set up her home directory.
> I can log her in as an su user with no problem. When I re-boot the system and the splash screen comes up (KDE4),
> I can enter her name and password but the system rejects the pass word.
> I've checked everything about 3 times and can find nothing wrong.
> I would guess that I have missed some niggally detail. The Windows XP side works fine. Any ideas?

Gary, I found this thread by someone who has as similar problem as
yourself. Perhaps it may help.
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?p=45579

Regards
wally

linuxlover 10-10-2012 08:45 AM

Op woensdag 10 oktober 2012 06:40:03 UTC+2 schreef Gary Roach het volgende:

> Thanks for the reply. I read the reference but no joy. My login problem
> is happening at the kdm level before the OS is even started (I think).
> How does one activate /deactivate the initial login screen. I know this
> is possible. I think I set this up when I initially installed Debian
> from the iso network installation disk. I probably prompted me through
> the process at the time. I have since completely forgotten what I did at
> the time. I think I need to re configure kdm somehow.

In normal circumstances that should not be necessary.
Note that username and password must match exactly, and that the username should not contain uppercase letters or "weird" characters. It is usually safest to stick to the set a-z0-9 for the username.
If the username is ok, then the password might mismatch.
Try resetting it to some "easy" value (temporarily!) by issuing the command (as root user):
passwd username
(where you replace username by your wife's username of course).
If that does not help, something strange is the matter and further issue-solving will be needed.
HTH

Helgi Írn Helgason 10-10-2012 11:52 AM

On 10 October 2012 01:53, Gary Roach <gary719_list1@verizon.net> wrote:
> I set up her account in passwd and group and I set up her home directory.

This is something I don't quite get; how did you create the account?
With commands in a terminal? Did you create her home directory
manually as root with a command? Have you checked if the directory's
properties are correct?

I would do this: delete the new user (including removing it's home
directory) and create it again in KDE System Settings. Log out and see
if the new user is there and see if you can log in normally.

/Helgi Írn

Darac Marjal 10-10-2012 01:13 PM

On Tue, Oct 09, 2012 at 04:53:14PM -0700, Gary Roach wrote:
> I have a Toshiba Qosmio with 2 60 GB hard drives, one with Windows
> XP and the other with Debian Squeeze. I just decided to add my wife
> as a user to the linux side. For some reason the login screen won't
> work. I set up her account in passwd and group and I set up her home
> directory. I can log her in as an su user with no problem. When I
> re-boot the system and the splash screen comes up (KDE4), I can
> enter her name and password but the system rejects the pass word.
> I've checked everything about 3 times and can find nothing wrong. I
> would guess that I have missed some niggally detail. The Windows XP
> side works fine. Any ideas?

Check the uid of your wife's new account (type "id alice" - to use a
common pseudonym - in a terminal). If the uid is less than 1000 or
greater than 29999, KDM may be rejecting the account because it's deemed
to be a "system" account.

You could also try switching to a virtual terminal (press Ctrl+Alt+F1 at
the KDM login) and login as her there. Perhaps you'll get an error from
PAM (the authentication system) which KDM wasn't passing on.

Gary Roach 10-10-2012 06:55 PM

Adding user to dual boot laptop

I have a Toshiba Qosmio with 2 60 GB hard drives, one with Windows XP
and the other with Debian Squeeze. I just decided to add my wife as a
user to the linux side. For some reason the login screen won't work. I
set up her account in passwd and group and I set up her home
directory. I can log her in as an su user with no problem. When I
re-boot the system and the splash screen comes up (KDE4), I can enter
her name and password but the system rejects the pass word. I've
checked everything about 3 times and can find nothing wrong. I would
guess that I have missed some niggally detail. The Windows XP side
works fine. Any ideas?

Gary R.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. Still no fix. In answer to all of
your questions:

1. The most telling would be the suggestion to hit Ctl+Alt+F1 to get the
cmd line and try logging in. The log in worked fine with my wife's user
name and password.

2. My wife's uid is 1001 so no problem here.

3. Permissions, owners and structure for files passwd, shadow and group
are exactly the same as my entries.

4. Dpkg-reconfigure kdm pauses for a few seconds and returns to the cmd
prompt.

5. We are going to be traveling and I don't want to remove the password
protection from the computer.

There is a Systems Setting -> Advanced -> Login Manager window that has
possibilities but I haven't been able to figure out how to start the
application as root. Most of the functions are grayed out.

Gary R.

Archive: 5075C48B.1070301@verizon.net">http://lists.debian.org/5075C48B.1070301@verizon.net

"tv.debian@googlemail.com" 10-10-2012 07:24 PM

[...]

No surprise, kdm isn't involved when logging from the console.

2. My wife's uid is 1001 so no problem here.

3. Permissions, owners and structure for files passwd, shadow and group
are exactly the same as my entries.

4. Dpkg-reconfigure kdm pauses for a few seconds and returns to the cmd
prompt.

Normal behavior if only one login manager is installed, don't you want
to install gdm to see if it works as a temporary workaround ?

5. We are going to be traveling and I don't want to remove the password
protection from the computer.

There is a Systems Setting -> Advanced -> Login Manager window that has
possibilities but I haven't been able to figure out how to start the
application as root. Most of the functions are grayed out.

Press keys alt + F2 and in the launch box type:

kdesu systemsettings

Gary R.

Do you see any meaningful error in /var/log/kdm.log or
~/.xsession-errors (from your wife's /home) ?

Archive: 5075CB7A.3060600@googlemail.com">http://lists.debian.org/5075CB7A.3060600@googlemail.com

Curt 10-11-2012 06:32 PM

On 2012-10-10, Gary Roach <gary719_list1@verizon.net> wrote:

> 3. Permissions, owners and structure for files passwd, shadow and group
> are exactly the same as my entries.

How about user home directory and other user file permissions (which
shouldn't belong to root)?

Gary Roach 10-11-2012 10:44 PM

Adding user to dual boot laptop