Old 10-13-2012, 06:19 AM
Gary Roach

Default Adding user to dual boot laptop

On 10/12/2012 09:34 AM, Joe wrote:

On Fri, 12 Oct 2012 15:03:04 +0000 (UTC)

On 2012-10-11, Gary Roach<gary719_list1@verizon.net> wrote:

On 2012-10-10, Gary Roach<gary719_list1@verizon.net> wrote:

3. Permissions, owners and structure for files passwd, shadow and
group are exactly the same as my entries.

How about user home directory and other user file permissions
(which shouldn't belong to root)?

That has been checked out and is all OK. The alt F2 to kdesu did
allow

Have you told us the tool with which you created the new user? It's
not clear to me the canonical way of doing it, actually, googling
around. But appears to be (as root):

adduser wife

On Debian, yes. It calls useradd, which is available in most/all
Linuxes.

After which you must add the new user to the appropriate groups (or is
that done automatically)?

It does add quite a few, but not necessarily all of interest. I believe
it does add the audio group, failure of which is the cause of some
problems with lack of sound. Exactly what is does is configurable.

Actually, I used adduser and then manually checked the entries in
passwd, shadow and group. I made some minor adjustments to the entries.
I have done this before and had no problem. The process is fairly
straight forward.

Gary R.

Archive: 507907F8.9030404@verizon.net">http://lists.debian.org/507907F8.9030404@verizon.net

Old 10-13-2012, 07:41 AM
"tv.debian@googlemail.com"

[...]

Could it be that editing the files (as root) changed ownership ?
/etc/shadow and /etc/shadow.org need to belong to user "root" but group
"shadow".